What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just cut my oak bark soap. I had a pot over fire for 6 hours to get essence. I added scotch whisky aroma from BB. I could give only 1* for that aroma.

Attachments

• IMG-20200724-WA0010.jpeg
    IMG-20200724-WA0010.jpeg
    68.2 KB · Views: 27
  • InShot_20200722_114506060.jpg
    InShot_20200722_114506060.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20200719_173148.jpg
    IMG_20200719_173148.jpg
    639.3 KB · Views: 31
I’m not sure why I bought beet root powder before checking here first. Hopefully some day I learn! Is there anything it is good for?
It's supposed to be great if you can get it to your insides without gagging. There are a bunch of recipes online. I'm sure it will stain whatever it touches, so if you needed more red/pink in your wardrobe it might help there.

I made Coconut Lime Soap today. It CPOP'd for a couple of hours and when I took it out, the colours are almost brighter than when it was wet! What's strange and maybe because it hasn't fully set up, the white on top looks pink and I have all kinds of little dark specks on it! Very strange.

coconut lime1.jpg
coconut Lime.jpg

I cut my first hanger swirl. Activated charcoal and pink clay. I don't love how it looks (I didn't go deep enough, the charcoal bled a little bit, I wish I had used something a bit thicker than a wire hanger, and I don't love the swirl pattern I did)--BUT nevertheless overall I'm very pleased, because I feel I'm finally getting the hang of controlling trace to get the definition I want with colors. Hope I'm not jinxing myself by saying that.

IMG_20200724_175525183_HDR.jpg

I labeled and wrapped some soaps that finished curing today. And, I contemplated how soap making is affecting my perception of time. I made these a month ago. I’ve learned a lot since then! What will I have learned by the time I’m able to try the soaps I made this week?!... deep soap thoughts.

Attachments

• 14815ED3-C781-41F0-BF7A-6D3F6E0EC34F.jpeg
    14815ED3-C781-41F0-BF7A-6D3F6E0EC34F.jpeg
    175.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 46BE8C30-566F-4730-B877-B8685B59A72E.jpeg
    46BE8C30-566F-4730-B877-B8685B59A72E.jpeg
    193.3 KB · Views: 26
Can you keep us posted on the spirulina? I'm wondering if that beautiful green will hold.
No, it does not.

My Cambodia lotus tea soap.
I think TashaBird was asking if that is a real Lotus Pod. If so I would not sell or give away those soaps. You would be surprised how many would not know to remove the pod before using the soap, they would think it is for exfoliating. Hard pods, large salt crystals etc are dangerous to use on soap for decorations.

I wanted that really delicate pink color and pure white, a pastel look for a special friend of mine. I can't believe that after all these years, even when I try so hard to pay attention, I can still make such boo-boos. The white ice cubes in the freezer turned out to be goats milk not oat milk like I thought. And the rose clay is kind of salmon, not light pinky-pink. Made more salmon by the goat's milk. Zinc and white cosmetic clay, not so much with the goat's milk. Then, I forgot to put the lovely geranium blend EO's in half the batter. Oh, well, they will never know. That's what I tell myself. Going to get some rhubarb for the pink and try again. I'm still hung up on pencil lines, I made two batches, one straight lines, the other bumpy. Bumpy more interesting. Still learning!

IMG_0085.jpg

I wanted that really delicate pink color and pure white, a pastel look for a special friend of mine. I can't believe that after all these years, even when I try so hard to pay attention, I can still make such boo-boos. The white ice cubes in the freezer turned out to be goats milk not oat milk like I thought. And the rose clay is kind of salmon, not light pinky-pink. Made more salmon by the goat's milk. Zinc and white cosmetic clay, not so much with the goat's milk. Then, I forgot to put the lovely geranium blend EO's in half the batter. Oh, well, they will never know. That's what I tell myself. Going to get some rhubarb for the pink and try again. I'm still hung up on pencil lines, I made two batches, one straight lines, the other bumpy. Bumpy more interesting. Still learning!

View attachment 48048
I think it's a lovely bar! I really like the creamy, natural look.

View attachment 48048
I think this turned out beautiful! I do understand the frustration when you have a vision and it’s not exactly what you expected however.

20200725_142245.jpgToday I was inspired by Honey Almond FO and made some different bars. Some have colloidal oatmeal inside, some have loofah inside, some have old fashioned oats on top. This soap smells so good...I had to put a warning on it that it was soap not food. I used a lard recipe and also added 1T PPO of diluted sugar.

I think it's a lovely bar! I really like the creamy, natural look.
I too like the natural look. Although I will admit I don't like pink. Had to stomach it while my granddaughter was in her pink phase. And believe me, she wouldn't wear salmon...I tried! LOL The salmon color is a great foil for the off white...now I have another thing to add to my soapy "Try This List"

I made Coconut Lime Soap today. It CPOP'd for a couple of hours and when I took it out, the colours are almost brighter than when it was wet! What's strange and maybe because it hasn't fully set up, the white on top looks pink and I have all kinds of little dark specks on it! Very strange.

View attachment 48031View attachment 48032

Here is the cut. Pretty swirl but the coconut scent isn't really there. I used coconut milk in the masterbatch (which I've done before) and added some coconut powder to the batter (which I haven't done before). The main, white batter had Kaolin Clay and TD added to it to make it white but if you look closely, the white is speckled - with what I have no idea. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the coconut milk. It shouldn't be scorched I don't think. Or is it possible I didn't mix the clay and TD in properly? I still like it though but there always seems to be something that's not quite right!
Coconut Lime 2.jpg

Back