What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am waiting to take a simple one-color lavender soap out of the mold so I can use the lye and oils I have waiting to make a plain (hopefully white or light tan) natural lard soap. I also keep admiring my 1st batch of coconut milk with coconut lime verbena fragrance and unsweetened coconut on top..this soap really got warm and I am excited to see the color green so bright on top...I can't wait for the inside and now am intrigued about CPOP (cold process/ oven processed) soap. I also went thrift shopping and found a round ball mold for .99 SCORE!

Nice! I love CPOPing my soap—it reduced the amount of ash I was dealing with and made my colors really vibrant from the forced gel. I still get ash during the cure but it’s noticeably less.

I’m curious about lard but I haven’t experimented with it yet. I don’t have a good supply source and where I live in MA it would be eventually hard to market—not impossible—just trickier.

I made some coffee and cream soap HP. It smells wonderful - I only put the coffee fragrance in part of the soap because it discolors to brown, the cream area is scented with marshmallow fragrance.
117626CC-F590-4E74-AC86-63DF35F6E30B_1_105_c.jpeg

I made some coffee and cream soap HP. It smells wonderful - I only put the coffee fragrance in part of the soap because it discolors to brown, the cream area is scented with marshmallow fragrance.View attachment 48012

That sounds divine!

Nice! I love CPOPing my soap—it reduced the amount of ash I was dealing with and made my colors really vibrant from the forced gel. I still get ash during the cure but it’s noticeably less.

I’m curious about lard but I haven’t experimented with it yet. I don’t have a good supply source and where I live in MA it would be eventually hard to market—not impossible—just trickier.

I'm loving working with lard but so far haven't tried any of them as they are still curing. Have one almost ready so hope it's as nice as I've heard other ppl say.

I use hibiscus Flowers powder only for the top of my soap. If I make a real tea and add lye, would be black color.

There was a thread awhile back on hibiscus... I bought hibiscus powder which was such a beautiful colour but did not hold in the sample I tried. I thought someone said that making a tea first then using it would work but you're saying no??

There was a thread awhile back on hibiscus... I bought hibiscus powder which was such a beautiful colour but did not hold in the sample I tried. I thought someone said that making a tea first then using it would work but you're saying no??
I never tried tea. I just think it will not work.

So My sister dropped off a massive bag of beef fat at my house on Monday. I already had some at home, so In total, I probably had 15+ kgs (30+lbs) of fat in my fridge.
I've been rendering fat for the last 3 days. Today will be day 4. (The last day of rendering process)

I first started off by chopping up the beef fat into smaller chunks (it is better if you can mince it) and then I tossed it in a pot with about 1-1.5 litres of water and a generous handful of salt. and let it boil down for 4-6 hours.

To speed up the process I thought I would try my pressure cooker, and see if cooking fat under pressure would be faster. but I read that it could block the valves and cause the pot to explode. so I abandoned that idea. Then I tried to cook the fat in the pressure cooker. Open with no lid, at its lowest temp. But apparently my digital pressure cookers lowest temp is still too hot and it was boiling to aggressively.
So I finally settled for borrowing an extra big enamel pot from my mother-in-law

By day 2 I'm really sick of chopping and cooking fat, and I was looking for ways to speed up the process.
So I read that you can add vinegar to the water and salt mixture and render it with vinegar.
Great! So I added vinegar to 2 of my batches on the stove. half a cup to the 5-litre pot and a full cup to the bigger pot.

Blaaghh! The smell of boiling vinegar is not fantastic. But I must say it did breakdown the fat faster. The grisly bits turn to jelly though. So at the end, I smooshed the leftover bits with a potato masher and strained it through a sieve with a cloth. and then poured it in empty tubs and put it in the fridge to harden overnight.
I still wasn't thrilled with the vinegar smell but I spent all of day 3 doing the 2nd meltdown of all the oils and the smell was a lot better.

I would take out the tubs, remove the solid fat, and then scrape off the brown icky layer off the bottom of the solid fat. (The gross water and icky bits get thrown out.)
I then put the fat in a pot with just plain salted water. A generous handful of salt dissolved in water. and let it simmer for about an hour.
Then sieve and strain through a cloth and refrigerate again.
I must say there was Very Little beef or vinegar smell left after the second melt and boil. The colour has also lighted to a golden yellow in liquid form.

Today I will be taking the solid fat out again and I will see what colour the water at the bottom of the tubs are and if there is any icky layer at the bottom of the fat. If there is, I will do one last melt and boil with saltwater.
But If it is clean, I will just melt it down with no water, and slowly simmer till any remnants of water moisture is gone, and then pour the clarified tallow into tubs for final storage.

I'd probably say I have about 12 -15 Liters of tallow out of this whole session.
To be honest, there were a few moments this week where I was seriously considering just making vegan soap.
But tallow really does make great soap.

I use about 50% tallow in my recipes, So in spite of me moaning about the last 4 days. Cutting my finger open and spending my birthday behind a stove cooking fat.
I now literally have enough beef tallow to make 300 bars of soap. 😁😊
And my new scale arrived, so I can make a new soap batch this weekend

So My sister dropped off a massive bag of beef fat at my house on Monday. I already had some at home, so In total, I probably had 15+ kgs (30+lbs) of fat in my fridge.
I've been rendering fat for the last 3 days. Today will be day 4. (The last day of rendering process)

I use about %50 tallow also. That process sounds so hard! Very cool to hear how you did it. Happy soaping!

I sold a piece of my other art so I can re-up my soap making supplies and continue learning. YAY!

I sold a piece of my other art so I can re-up my soap making supplies and continue learning. YAY!

@TashaBird I know exactly how you feel.
I work as a portrait photographer. It's pretty much my main source of income. I've just booked 3 photoshoots and pretty much all of it is going to soaping supplies. ;) 🤭

That is SO adorable!
ETA: I'm not even sure if I could use the mold, but can I ask where you got it? It's so cute!

Thanks!. Amazon. I wasn't sure it was going to work for me either since I HP but it did.

That dog soap is so cute! Is that from a silicone mold?

Thanks! Yes its a 3D silicone Mold

I first started off by chopping up the beef fat into smaller chunks (it is better if you can mince it) and then I tossed it in a pot with about 1-1.5 litres of water and a generous handful of salt. and let it boil down for 4-6 hours.

To speed up the process I thought I would try my pressure cooker, and see if cooking fat under pressure would be faster. but I read that it could block the valves and cause the pot to explode. so I abandoned that idea. Then I tried to cook the fat in the pressure cooker. Open with no lid, at its lowest temp. But apparently my digital pressure cookers lowest temp is still too hot and it was boiling to aggressively.
So I finally settled for borrowing an extra big enamel pot from my mother-in-law

By day 2 I'm really sick of chopping and cooking fat, and I was looking for ways to speed up the process.
So I read that you can add vinegar to the water and salt mixture and render it with vinegar.
Great! So I added vinegar to 2 of my batches on the stove. half a cup to the 5-litre pot and a full cup to the bigger pot.

Blaaghh! The smell of boiling vinegar is not fantastic. But I must say it did breakdown the fat faster. The grisly bits turn to jelly though. So at the end, I smooshed the leftover bits with a potato masher and strained it through a sieve with a cloth. and then poured it in empty tubs and put it in the fridge to harden overnight.
I still wasn't thrilled with the vinegar smell but I spent all of day 3 doing the 2nd meltdown of all the oils and the smell was a lot better.

I would take out the tubs, remove the solid fat, and then scrape off the brown icky layer off the bottom of the solid fat. (The gross water and icky bits get thrown out.)
I then put the fat in a pot with just plain salted water. A generous handful of salt dissolved in water. and let it simmer for about an hour.
Then sieve and strain through a cloth and refrigerate again.
I must say there was Very Little beef or vinegar smell left after the second melt and boil. The colour has also lighted to a golden yellow in liquid form.

Today I will be taking the solid fat out again and I will see what colour the water at the bottom of the tubs are and if there is any icky layer at the bottom of the fat. If there is, I will do one last melt and boil with saltwater.
But If it is clean, I will just melt it down with no water, and slowly simmer till any remnants of water moisture is gone, and then pour the clarified tallow into tubs for final storage.

I'd probably say I have about 12 -15 Liters of tallow out of this whole session.
To be honest, there were a few moments this week where I was seriously considering just making vegan soap.
But tallow really does make great soap.

I use about 50% tallow in my recipes, So in spite of me moaning about the last 4 days. Cutting my finger open and spending my birthday behind a stove cooking fat.
I now literally have enough beef tallow to make 300 bars of soap. 😁😊
And my new scale arrived, so I can make a new soap batch this weekend
Well...I want to try to do it :) I will do it only on my veranda. Not in my nice kitchen.

My Cambodia lotus tea soap.

Attachments

• IMG_20200724_072852.jpg
    IMG_20200724_072852.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20200724_083841_204.jpg
    IMG_20200724_083841_204.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 19
My Cambodia lotus tea soap.
Is the lotus chip soap also?

@TashaBird I know exactly how you feel.
I work as a portrait photographer. It's pretty much my main source of income. I've just booked 3 photoshoots and pretty much all of it is going to soaping supplies. ;) 🤭
Yay us! I’d been shopping online for a few weeks. Carefully filling carts on three sites moving stuff around. That alone was pretty satisfying!! When I got it dialed in I put out a hustle to my folks and said, buy my art, I need soap supplies! It worked! 😆

I got 3 boxex for my soap for craft fairs.
That soap looks beautiful!

@SPowers Sadly, the color of hibiscus, like most botanicals, doesn’t hold in soap due to the reaction with lye. There are some great threads in this forum about which natural colorants DO work, and how to use them. Many have to be infused in oil, but some can be added straight. You can also purchase a good e-book on natural colorants by Jo Haslauer on the Lovin’ Soap website.

Trying to figure out shipping stuff by myself today. I tried to ask here, but they both post got deleted... I haven't been here long enough to post in the business forum... So, here we go *sigh*

Back