What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s been a rough few days. So yesterday I pulled myself outta the dark hole I was in and went down a soaping rabbit hole instead. Went back to the beginners thread and watched a bunch of videos looking for new ideas, or ways to improve my process. I found a video on lovin soaps where they made a 5Xs batch. I don’t have enough gear for that, but I made a triple batch today. That was a first!!! Mixed three batch of lye and sugar water, then three batches of oil. It was so fun! I only made one mistake on one batch. I forgot to mix the clay colorants with a little oil. It worked out anyway. They’re gelling on the heating pad, and I’m exhausted. It sure beats crying myself sick! Cutting them tomorrow will be so fun!

Checked my curing marble soaps and am still debating whether they are good enough to enter in the Soap Challenge Club for July. I'll probably make another batch just so I have options. :)

Then I played with labeling and shrink-wrapping the lavender goat-milk bars that are going into the wedding gift basket for my nephew and his bride-to-be. Since I don't sell, I don't normally make labels, and I'm horrible at it. In the end, I decided to create a single card that lists each item in the basket with its ingredients - much easier than making a single printed label for each unique item. Will work on that tomorrow.

Also worked on the recipe for the beard oil and beard balm (nephew's part of the basket), and made lavender bath salts and a lavender sachet (bride's part of the basket, along with the lavender soap). The lavender sachet was made using buds from the plants in my back yard. After picking the stems, I laid them on a raised tray and put them in a backyard shed that gets quite warm. With the sun coming through the shed window, plus our dry heat, everything was bone dry in less than two days.

Pulling off the fragrant buds was so relaxing and made my kitchen smell great! I ended up with way more than I needed - enough to give 4"x6" tulle bags stuffed with lavender buds to a couple of other friends, too. Another batch is drying right now. It's got me dreaming of becoming a lavender farmer. 🥰

I was playing with some new molds earlier this week. I've had an itch to try some Flower Pot soap. Well the base came out ok as did my embeds but some of the base I used as frosting was a failure. It may have been the humidity. So instead of Flowers on my pots I put these cute babies! And the carrots pots are extremely cute! My Raspberry Special High top is the fancy soap surrounding the flower pots. All of this soap is made with goats milk!

Attachments

• 7-12-2020 Flower Pot soap-Carrots & babies on leaves.jpg
    7-12-2020 Flower Pot soap-Carrots & babies on leaves.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 22
I have not been soaping lately, but the 25 experimental batches made during lockdown are all reaching their cure dates, or past that and I have stacks at the bathtub and all the sinks that I continue to pick up and try. Favorite formulas are beginning to emerge.

I have wondered if the essential oil fragrances are less noticable in the formulas with tallow instead of palm oil, (at about 20-25%
IMG_2029.jpg
). The jury is still out on that. Some are amazing good. I vow to never put coffe in my soap again, I just hate the bumpyness, but that's me and the natural colors of indigo and cochineal have faded some, I need more practice with that.

I want the calming pleasure of stirring a pot of soap and sniffing it, but just cant justify it with all these experiments on hand until I really reach some conclusions about the new direction I am going in. At times, I just want to go back to my old formula.

I cut my first multi colored drop swirl this morning! I am quite happy with it!! We are going to the city today to pick up some more labels for soaps! Also I am going to order some boxes on Uline, because I have a goal to have my Etsy shop open by September!! Ahh!! I’m so excited! But with school starting up again soon, hopefully I won’t have to push that back, even though I will be online!
I have a bunch of questions so I will start a thread in a bit, but right now I’m chilling with the goats!

Had my husband test out a cured bar today and discovered that I’m going to have to figure out a structured simple way to test. I couldn’t really get much helpful feedback. It’s annoying lol.

Shopping spree! Micas, FOs, small molds, a mini mixer, a clay extruder, food-grade sodium gluconate (a chelator), and some small plastic pitchers for mixing and measuring. I also got a larger plastic pitcher for mixing my batches in, as the container I had been mixing in kept getting sucked into and scratched by the mixer blades.

I need to get a small mold for my goat soaps, plus the micas and FO when I get them all designed. So I will get to go on a shopping spree as well!

@Adobehead What round mold did you use for those circle soaps? I have been using a pringles can. I've made 3 soaps, but I am thinking about upgrading to a nice silicone mold that will last for a while!

@Adobehead What round mold did you use for those circle soaps? I have been using a pringles can. I've made 3 soaps, but I am thinking about upgrading to a nice silicone mold that will last for a while!
It is the $55 Essential Depot one in silicone and the soap measures a full 3 inches across. It will last forever and both endcaps are removable. I like it and leave the soap one extra day compared to the wood/paper liner. Then, getting it out isn't a problem.
Silicone Cylindrical Mold - COLOR NATURAL

(9 reviews)

Price: $79.98
30% OFF - Base Wholesale Discount -
Sale: $55.99 Additional discounts and free products for Greener Life Club Members. Call 863-224-9555 for details or CLICK HERE.
More Details

Not much soapiness happening here this weekend as my daughter, bf, and 4 grands are here. However, her boss ordered a bunch of gift baskets (whatever we decided to put together) so I'm busy making items for the Foot Fetish baskets. Each contains a tub of foot scrub, two pedi bombs, a tub of foot cream and a small tub of cuticle butter. I made the foot cream yesterday, the foot scrub is ready to go and the cuticle butter ingredients are melting as I type. This afternoon, we'll put it all together in the baskets.

20200626_174430.jpg 20200711_113525.jpg

It is the $55 Essential Depot one in silicone and the soap measures a full 3 inches across. It will last forever and both endcaps are removable. I like it and leave the soap one extra day compared to the wood/paper liner. Then, getting it out isn't a problem.

(9 reviews)

Price: $79.98
30% OFF - Base Wholesale Discount -
Sale: $55.99 Additional discounts and free products for Greener Life Club Members. Call 863-224-9555 for details or CLICK HERE.
More Details

After the accident with the Pringle's can, I went out and bought a PVC pipe! It too is 3" diameter (on the inside). I had to buy a 5' length which was $15 and a cap for $2 but even tho it's not their policy, the guy was good enough to cut it for me. Really wanted to used it today but it's storming and for some reason I just don't like soaping in the rain.

Had my husband test out a cured bar today and discovered that I’m going to have to figure out a structured simple way to test. I couldn’t really get much helpful feedback. It’s annoying lol.
I’ve been trying to teach my DH how to give me feedback on the soap. “Nice” isn’t sufficient! 😆

I just made some spirulina salt soap and I LOVE how they look like my jade ear jewelry!!! Scented with orange, rosemary, lavender EO. Also, I rinsed the top of the 3 loafs I made yesterday. That was a first.

Attachments

• AD79BDEC-DE54-4DA3-9D8D-ED1A64460091.jpeg
    AD79BDEC-DE54-4DA3-9D8D-ED1A64460091.jpeg
    155.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 90EF66BD-3C1C-4939-89D2-3216D4390D01.jpeg
    90EF66BD-3C1C-4939-89D2-3216D4390D01.jpeg
    152.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 759F4A61-9BF6-4055-BBB3-7A78ED060425.jpeg
    759F4A61-9BF6-4055-BBB3-7A78ED060425.jpeg
    103.8 KB · Views: 12
Ya got me there! I like to be outside too but for some reason it feels humid inside (even tho I have air) and it demotivates me. Colour me crazy!

I usually soap in the hottest part of the day lol! That way it's ready to cut when I wake up, and I have plenty of farm chores in the evening, to the point where I'm not peaking in on it every 30 minutes LOL! But I usually go soaping CRAZY on rainy days!

P.S. Send some of that rain over to Texas! We are in a drought right now! We need our 3rd cutting of hay lol! 😂

I used the remaining beef tallow I'd rendered some days ago and made a 50 % tallow soap. I poured the small batch into silicone moulds with honeycomb, bees and flowers on top. Even coloured some batter yellow and poured into the honeycomb and bees part but am afraid the batter was too thin for a good effect. The soap is being CPOPed at the moment.

After the accident with the Pringle's can, I went out and bought a PVC pipe! It too is 3" diameter (on the inside). I had to buy a 5' length which was $15 and a cap for $2 but even tho it's not their policy, the guy was good enough to cut it for me. Really wanted to used it today but it's storming and for some reason I just don't like soaping in the rain.
That's what my husband made for me, as well. Works great and a whole lot cheaper than any cylinder molds that are sold specifically for soap!

Latest posts

Back