What soapy thing have you done today?

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

Catscankim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I finally used soapcalc to make my own recipe. It's the first batch I've formulated myself and it is also a Soleseife bar. I used dead sea salt in my water, and I scented them with Bergamot Tea FO.
when I first started posting here, I got a very stern finger waving about learning soap calc, lol. All good intentions of course. It made drastic improvements on my learning.

TashaBird

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I finally used soapcalc to make my own recipe. It's the first batch I've formulated myself and it is also a Soleseife bar. I used dead sea salt in my water, and I scented them with Bergamot Tea FO.
Beautiful! What is the colorant?

MGM

Reaction score
That's too funny! That's how I started using Barleygrass powder as a natural colorant as well... sounded healthy but I'm not a smoothie person and didn't like the taste in other things so there ya go!

I made a batch yesterday... basically a Bastille soap and used Matcha Green Tea powder as the colorant...
I just did the opposite....I was listening to a podcast on Matcha and they made it sound so good and I knew I had some in my soaping stash....so I used the Matcha for the first time to...gasp...*drink*!

cmzaha

Supporting Member
Reaction score
at least you tried
no no no... you call and demand this be corrected. You can send back the mess and they can re-send out to you. If you happen to be a member of the Guild mention filing a report. Do not take the first answer from customer service. It is unacceptable. Hopefully, you took pictures. BB is getting sloppy and hateful. They do not like Guild complaints, but I think you have to be a member to file one although I am not 100% sure. Did they replace your CO?

I have done nothing but I do have a market opening up July 13th or possibly opening. It is not my good market but it is better than nothing. :D

cmzaha

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You do not want to use DSO in salt bars. If you used the 25% salt you might not be happy but only time will tell. Just give them a very long cure of 6-12 months. DSO contains too many minerals. It will make a sweaty, waxy non-lathering salt bar. I found the max that could be used was 5% DSO but it still did not make a quality salt bar, in my opinion. It was something I played with for a long time and did sell when DSO products were selling well, which sold well at the time, but finally, sales died down. Probably because even the 5% added to my regular salt bars cut lather.

MGM

Reaction score
I had great fun today doing an experiment with crayons as colorants!
I used purple crayons in a lard soap about a year ago. Even though the crayon was fully melted, it gathered in spots and then, it morphed over the months from purply-pink to more reddish. Now that I look at it up close, it looks measles-y :)
I don't mind it, but I wouldn't consider it a stable colorant, especially to sell/give away, since it changed so much over 6 months.
The black is activated charcoal and it's looked the same all the way through.
You'll have to keep us updated on what your soaps do!

Attachments

jcandleattic

Reaction score
I just put in a small order for some FO's I needed to replenish.
Crazy I needed to place an order since I just got about 100 lbs of FO's (all in various sizes) from a friend that is moving and gave me all of her remaining stock because she won't be doing much once she gets settled in her new place. Unfortunately in all the product she had, she didn't have these 5 scents which are basically the only ones I will reuse often.

• Wow
Reactions: MGM

Rachel M.

Reaction score
You do not want to use DSO in salt bars. If you used the 25% salt you might not be happy but only time will tell. Just give them a very long cure of 6-12 months. DSO contains too many minerals. It will make a sweaty, waxy non-lathering salt bar. I found the max that could be used was 5% DSO but it still did not make a quality salt bar, in my opinion. It was something I played with for a long time and did sell when DSO products were selling well, which sold well at the time, but finally, sales died down. Probably because even the 5% added to my regular salt bars cut lather.
Oh, I already knew it wouldn't have a good lather. I was making them as a super conditioning bar of soap for my sister that gets eczema rashes on her hands.
I appreciate the input, I generally do a lot of reading on what I plan to do before trying. But I also am using cheaper oils/butters so if it fails, it's just a learning experience. :)
I did 20% of the salt in the water after separating out the amount I needed to dissolve my lye. That's what I read that someone else was doing when I went cruising through the forum for Soleseife info at least.

Rachel M.

Reaction score
Beautiful! What is the colorant?
So I used a purple from Brambleberry that I already knew was prone to morphing into grey in the main batch and added a mica that I bought off Etsy to the top portion. Their shop is I think, Dragon Dust Micas. (All of their colors have been beautiful)

luluzapcat

Reaction score
I used purple crayons in a lard soap about a year ago. Even though the crayon was fully melted, it gathered in spots and then, it morphed over the months from purply-pink to more reddish. Now that I look at it up close, it looks measles-y :)
I don't mind it, but I wouldn't consider it a stable colorant, especially to sell/give away, since it changed so much over 6 months.
Oh that is very good information to share! Thanks for the warning! I would have thought if anything it might fade over time, which I could live with, but gathering in spots is really off-putting!

I made 6 samples in different colors. I'll just keep them for a year and see what they do. I'll post photos so far in a separate thread that I can update over time.

Reactions: MGM

Rogue-Soaper

Reaction score
I bet kids would love this, it made me smile. Then I wondered if you have used it? What happened with the spots? About ten years I purchased soap in Portland at the open air market (I like to try other soaps creations), It was so pretty and had several colors in it. However, when I used it, the colorant left a yellow tint on my skin and dyed my washcloth as well, the spots in you soap made me think of this. I am just curious.

msunnerstood

Reaction score
I ordered Glass beakers from the Ax-Man today. A small one to mix mica in and a medium for fragrance oils and 2 large ones for making lotion or body wash batches.

SPowers

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tried my hand at bar for sensitive skin... Turmeric & Carrot Soap - 1/2 the lye water is goat's milk. I also included some colloidal oatmeal and a bit of honey too. I subbed out 5% of the Palm Oil for Red Palm Oil. It smells overwhelmingly of turmeric even though I used a honey FO. I made this in my homemade mold which I think it too wide... I was going for tall skinny but the bars are almost square... heafty indeed!

Attachments

TashaBird

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unmolded my first salt soap. Scented with peppermint and lavender EO and the blue is from indigo. I LOVE them! I am a bit bummed that some of them got some mooshed spots. They seemed to take a long time to harden. I’m going to make another batch. I like that they’ll be ready around New Years! Extra salt to wash 2020 away!!! %80 CO %20 avocado oil, %80 salt ppo, %20 SF.

Attachments

AliOop

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Unmolded and cut my colored and swirled slab. I am so ticked that I CPOP'd this large batch before testing the micas in a smaller CPOP batch.

The colors (admittedly cheap micas from the local store) have performed decently in non-CPOP soap, with some slight morphing. But this time, the soft green went camo green, the white turned tan, and the soft pink morphed to rusty orange. The non-cooked soap that dried on my soaping containers stayed the original soft colors (as did prior non-CPOP batches), so I'm reasonably sure that the extra heat made the colors change.

I had expected some air bubbles due to using the milk-frother to add in the forgotten fragrance after pouring the base batter into the mold. But the color change is so disappointing. These camo-colored soaps were supposed to be a foo-foo girly gift for a ladies' conference. So while the color isn't horrid, it doesn't fit the soap order, so it has to be redone.... meaning that a bunch more bars are now added to my "donate to the shelter" stash. At least they smell good and will make nice gentle soap for the shelter folks. Sigh.

ETA: the soaps are much more "camo" in color than the photo shows.

On the plus side, my new cavity molds have nice, sharp details, even before clean-up. These are lavender scented as part of a specially-requested wedding gift box. The bars are actually a light lavender, not muddy gray. I really need to learn how to take good pictures!

Soap 8.JPGSoap 9.JPGSoap 10.JPG

Last edited:

DKing

Reaction score
Oh, I already knew it wouldn't have a good lather. I was making them as a super conditioning bar of soap for my sister that gets eczema rashes on her hands.
I also get eczema on my hands (one hand, one foot actually) so I have a suggestion for your sister to try. It helps me a ton, so might be useful for her. I use either apple cider vinegar or tea tree oil when I have a flare and they are both much better than the steroid cream I originally was prescribed for it.

Rachel M.

Reaction score
I also get eczema on my hands (one hand, one foot actually) so I have a suggestion for your sister to try. It helps me a ton, so might be useful for her. I use either apple cider vinegar or tea tree oil when I have a flare and they are both much better than the steroid cream I originally was prescribed for it.
I'm actually on the phone with her right now and relayed the message. :) Thanks for the suggestion.

Latest posts