What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got all 6 batches of soap done last night. Feeling accomplished. Now waiting to cut them after work today.
I love seeing your soaps - i can't wait!

I made another batch of sugar scrub last night. I need to make a run to get sugar and avo oil to finish my other planned batches. I need to make a facial scrub and a foot scrub yet, and solid perfumes, then my B&B should be fully stocked and I can get back to making soap before it gets too hot in the soap dungeon.

Under the heading of There are no Stupid Questions: How do you do more than one batch of soap in a single session? Do you finish one, clean the equipment and do a second, then repeat for a third, etc.? Newbie here, never considered doing more than one per day/night.
Not Shunt, but I know how I make multiple batches, up to 7. I also have 7-10 buckets of oils ready to go ahead of time so I can soap as many molds as I have lined. I do clean all my soaping utensils between each batch including washing the buckets. I am that way with cooking also. My dishes are washed as I cooked since I hate dirty dishes in my way. It is just the way I do it and it works for me.

This past year I have also been where Shunt is and have had to play catch up. Now with this stupid shut down, I do not even know if my markets will come back. :-(

I love seeing your soaps - i can't wait!

I made another batch of sugar scrub last night. I need to make a run to get sugar and avo oil to finish my other planned batches. I need to make a facial scrub and a foot scrub yet, and solid perfumes, then my B&B should be fully stocked and I can get back to making soap before it gets too hot in the soap dungeon.

I had some technical difficulties for sure. An FO I've used with no issue actually riced on me and would not stay together. So, we'll see. I feel so out of practice....LOL You're a busy girl. I'm struggling to get the motivation. I need to make scrubs, lip balm, perfume and bath bombs. I figure if I make 6-9 batches at a time over 3-5 days I'll have my stock back to somewhat normal.

I picked dandelions to infuse into some oil for my yearly batch of dandelion soap.

I also got my jumbo bottle of blue volcano fragrance oil in. I had made a test batch with just my 1oz bottle and I absolutely loved the fragrance and its strong so I think it will stick well so I went back and ordered a bigger bottle

Not cleaned up yet, but I'm pleased with the result.
Winner.gif

Just finished two batches of honeysuckle jasmine soap. I normally make a loaf every 6 months for a different customer but her room mate saw and smelled them and wanted 18 bars of her own. Good think I bought a big bottle of the FO. She's "Borrowed" a bar of my normal customers soap because she knows she needs to wait for them to cure.

Also have the dandelions washed and spread out drying to start to infuse them tomorrow.

Last night I made soap using the white tea fragrance oil that I've been putting off using because I'm not super fond of the smell. It did not behave well, accelerated, turned the batter bright yellow (back to normal today, but it was a shock when mixing in as the fragrance itself was clear). I tried a ghost swirl with a mica oil swirl so we will see how that turns out today when I cut...I had to swirl with a spoon it was so thick, and the layers themselves were of different thicknesses. I really hope I don't have a bunch of air bubbles from trying to swirl set batter with med trace batter.

Hoping to finish painting my basement and get back into my soap dungeon for the weekend. I have the itch to make a bunch of stuff. Most of which I have already said weeks ago on this thread that I needed to make. ahem. I'll let you know on Monday how this goes. But basically it looks like: Sugar scrubs, solid perfume, masterbatching oil, and 8 batches of soap.

I joined about a week ago and stated that I hadn't yet made my first batch of soap (I've been collecting supplies since last fall)! Well today I took the plunge and made my first batch. Other than timing, all went as I expected... I mixed my lye/water last which delayed the process (obviously) but better that than the other way around. It's a fairly basic recipe with no colorants but I did put some tea tree, orange and lemon essential oils in it. I also decorated the top with some pea petals I bought.
I can't wait til tomorrow to see the final result... if successful, I fear a monster will have been created! Either way I will post pictures.

Last night I made soap using the white tea fragrance oil that I've been putting off using because I'm not super fond of the smell. It did not behave well, accelerated, turned the batter bright yellow (back to normal today, but it was a shock when mixing in as the fragrance itself was clear). I tried a ghost swirl with a mica oil swirl so we will see how that turns out today when I cut...I had to swirl with a spoon it was so thick, and the layers themselves were of different thicknesses. I really hope I don't have a bunch of air bubbles from trying to swirl set batter with med trace batter.
Oh no! I LOVE white tea fragrance and have had no problem with it doing anything naughty. I get the one from Candle Science if that helps?

I joined about a week ago and stated that I hadn't yet made my first batch of soap (I've been collecting supplies since last fall)! Well today I took the plunge and made my first batch. Other than timing, all went as I expected... I mixed my lye/water last which delayed the process (obviously) but better that than the other way around. It's a fairly basic recipe with no colorants but I did put some tea tree, orange and lemon essential oils in it. I also decorated the top with some pea petals I bought.
I can't wait til tomorrow to see the final result... if successful, I fear a monster will have been created! Either way I will post pictures.

So I unveiled the soap today. I learned a couple things right off the start - the soap recipe was for a 1 lb loaf but the loaf pan I used was 2 lbs capacity - therefore the bars aren't very deep. I'm not sure how they are supposed to feel... these seem somewhat soft but I had no trouble cutting them so I'm guessing they harden as they cure. This is Tea Tree scented but I added some orange and lemon to cut the strong scent but I don't really smell much of anything... it smells like soap!
1f642.png
Some pics are attached. All comments are welcome! Thanks

Attachments

• Tea Tree Soap 1.jpg
    Tea Tree Soap 1.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 20
  • Tea Tree Soap 2.jpg
    Tea Tree Soap 2.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 22
  • Tea Tree Soap 3.jpg
    Tea Tree Soap 3.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 28
Spent most of yesterday making soap and at the end I decided to try a swirl technique, so I mixed up another batch and this was the outcome. First attempt at any type of swirl and I adore the look of the Taiwan swirl so that's what I went with. Spirulina, Turmeric, and activated charcoal for colors. I didn't get quite as many peaks as I wanted but happy with it nonetheless.

Attachments

• 20200509_154543.jpg
    20200509_154543.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 23
Very pretty! Next attempt will be 2 color and a swirl of some kind.

Do some of the designs actually have names and specific techniques for doing them?

Do some of the designs actually have names and specific techniques for doing them?
Yes, they do. Most have been covered in the monthly "Challenge" on SMF. If you go to the Lye Based Soap Forum and search for the Challenge for each month you can see different swirls by name each month. You have to be a member for 1 month (I think) to participate. 😁

Here's the one for this past April:
Strainer Pour/Pull Through Technique

Latest posts

Back