What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made soap today! Finally. My last batch is already fully cured so that means it's been almost two months since my last soaping day. I'm looking forward to cutting this batch.... with my new cutter. Pics will come tomorrow.
I bought a Bud multi-bar cutter a few weeks ago and it never gets old with the one and done.

I have done that, sadly more than once. :eek: I will have carefully measured out my EOs, set it to the side, finish my soap, then see my fragrance pitcher sitting to the side and go, "Oh fiddlesticks, can't believe I did that."
Anyone have any suggestions? I'm trying to be more methodical, but tend to get focused on the trace, color etc. and forget about the fragrance, even though I have it measured out and sitting on the counter with my soaping things.
Some people suggest putting the measured fragrance container in your soap mold. That way if you forget to add it, you will see it sitting in your mold before your pour and can add it in at the last minute. I mix my fragrance oil in directly in with oils before I add the lye solution. I don't wait for trace. If I'm only using one color (which is 90% of the time now) I mix the color in with the batch oils too. Then I just blend and pour.

Here's a pic of the leftovers from the Black Tie Marble batch, which is in the mold. I purposely make my batches somewhat larger now so that I can make a few small bars like this. I have customers who really like the smaller bars because they fit better in the hand.

20200301_123723.jpg

Today I put beer on to boil for soap and forgot about it. I came up out of the basement and asked hubby if he lit the woodstove, then I realized it was my beer :beatinghead:
UGH I'm on the second round of bar keepers friend and foil trying to get it clean.

Thank goodness it is good stainless and will clean up eventually.

Today I put beer on to boil for soap and forgot about it. I came up out of the basement and asked hubby if he lit the woodstove, then I realized it was my beer :beatinghead:
UGH I'm on the second round of bar keepers friend and foil trying to get it clean.

Thank goodness it is good stainless and will clean up eventually.
Have you tried boiling some water, Bar Keeper's Friend, and some dish soap? Most times, it's worked for me and saved my hands from heavy scrubbing.

Celebrating my second soaping anniversary. Roughly speaking anyway. I started soaping with M&P, then did a rebatch soap kit from Brambleberry. My first true CP soap attempt was a BrambleBerry recipe (high in CO and way to cleansing for me) - but I cannot find the dated recipe sheet from that batch but I am fairly certain it was in March so I'm just calling it today for simplicity. Anyhoo, I created a new recipe using HO Sunflower instead of olive oil. I use high percentages of olive oil in most of my recipes so I'm very curious how this will turn out with the sunflower oil. I was going to celebrate my soapy anniversary by making a castile soap - but got distracted when I was YouTubing "single oil soaps" and watched Holly- Kapia Mera make both a castile soap and in another video a 100% Shea butter soap. So I made my Bastille recipe with sunflower in place of the OO and added a little shea butter. I only made a 1-lb batch, scented with Lavender Citrus from EOcalc but it sure felt good to make soap again!

I have a soapy closet in my new house and it was so much easier to work with all my ingredients and equipment organized! I'm still tempted to try a Castile soap. Mainly just so I can cross it off my bucket list. Maybe I will - I can put it to bed in the soapy closet and just forget about it for the next 9-12 months. Or maybe I can kill two bucket list birds with one stone and hot process the castile. Hmmmm....back to the Tube:videovisit:
Happy Anniversary! Making soap is a great way to celebrate.

Been soaking and scrubbing. It is alclad so it will come clean eventually
Cover the bottom with baking soda - be generous and make sure all the burned spots are coated. Add a couple inches of water. Bring to a boil and simmer for a while. The burned stuff should just float to the top. What doesn't float to the top should scrape off easily with no effort. A stainless steel scrubby will take care of any stubborn spots (if there are any). I have used this home remedy MANY times and it has never failed me.

Edited to add: after the simmer - turn off the heat and let the water cool to room temp. The extra soak time helps too.

Last edited:
Cover the bottom with baking soda - be generous and make sure all the burned spots are coated. Add a couple inches of water. Bring to a boil and simmer for a while. The burned stuff should just float to the top. What doesn't float to the top should scrape off easily with no effort. A stainless steel scrubby will take care of any stubborn spots (if there are any). I have used this home remedy MANY times and it has never failed me.
This is a cheaper method that also works. But you might want to set a timer in case you get a little distracted. I know soaping is fun and the glorious plans we make with our calculators of choice but focus is sometimes necessary in order to walk that path to [soapmaking] glory. I'm sorry, I seem to be thinking of killer rabbits.

IMG_20200301_220932644~2.jpg
So.....I tried a peacock swirl......

I tried to use a recipe that was both slow moving and would unmold without a fuss. It's sitting in my oven right now, and I'm hoping for the best.

In my mind the soap looked a lot more striking, but I'm sure I'll love it if I look at it long enough.

It's scented with tobacco and bay leaf from brambleberry, so I wanted the colors to be a little more masculine.

I'd like to know more about how to put colors together, can anyone reccommend a book or website?

Here are the cut bars from my first real color test. Wile it came out very well overall, lessons learned.
First, I need to get a spray bottle of alcohol. Bad soda ash on top.
Second, need to not be lazy and heat my oils better. Soaped at 100, and lots of white (stearic?) spots in the color. Also, no gel.

But mostly, it was just good to get back to making soap!

Attachments

• 20200301_083258.jpg
    20200301_083258.jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 32
I used one of my salt bars yesterday. The lather was smooth and bubbly (not what I expected, never having used one in the past). It made my face feel tight, an unexpected, but pleasant feeling. I read some articles that say salt bars makes you skin golden and glow. I hope that's true, but not glow in the dark.
1f917.svg
I can see more of these in my future.

Shaved, wrapped and labeled 14 lbs of castille and 14 lbs of walnut scrub. I finally caved and shave the soap ash off my soap. It takes off up to almost an ounce off each bar, but people just dont like it. I suppose I can use all the shavings to make laundry soap. I have tried all the methods for removing soap ash, shaving is the quickest and easiest.

IMG_0534.JPG
View attachment 44287 View attachment 44287 View attachment 44287
IMG_0528.JPG
View attachment 44287
I've done a bit of experimenting with indigo plant powder and usually get bluer blues when the powder is dispersed in oil and allowed to steep for a bit before I use it. I use oil dispersed plant powder to make my Stormy Seas soap, which is the one pictured in my current avatar. Some of my trials are described in this thread:
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/the-indigo-and-jagua-blues.75531/

I found that, too and will eagerly read your thread. I am out of milk cartons, so here are my 4 experiments. The last one was an amazing denim color until I introduced the EO blend which included Blood Orange, Pachouly and Geranium, all dark oils. The Bergamot is clear. So, finding delicious non-coloring EOs will be the next task. The tallow sub for Palm seems great so far. The soap is usually poured about 4 PM and I unmold the following morning. Hard like a rock.

Shaved, wrapped and labeled 14 lbs of castille and 14 lbs of walnut scrub. I finally caved and shave the soap ash off my soap. It takes off up to almost an ounce off each bar, but people just dont like it. I suppose I can use all the shavings to make laundry soap. I have tried all the methods for removing soap ash, shaving is the quickest and easiest.
one ounce off of every bar? It sounds like so much! Sometimes i put a layer of saran wrap on the top of my slab mold and it prevents the ash from forming. I smooth it out with something flat. I would love to see a photo of this, i guess it is a little late. That is a LOT of soap!
Laurel

Last edited by a moderator:
When I made yesterday's soap, I used the heat transfer method for the first time. This particular batch is mostly hard oils and I ended up having to heat it a little to make sure all the oils melted before adding the liquid oils. It went fine but that batch is still not ready to unmold, after almost 24 hours. Usually, I can unmold this particular recipe at about 12-18 hours. I guess I'll have to wait until tonight to check it again.

I used one of my salt bars yesterday. The lather was smooth and bubbly (not what I expected, never having used one in the past). It made my face feel tight, an unexpected, but pleasant feeling. I read some articles that say salt bars makes you skin golden and glow. I hope that's true, but not glow in the dark.
1f917.svg
I can see more of these in my future.

@ShirleyHailstock, I just tried some salt bars that have now cured for six months. They are indeed delightful! This batch has coffee grounds in it, so I’m keeping a bar at the kitchen sink for a deodorizing soap that doesn’t dry out my hands. May also try one in the shower if I can tear myself away from my favorite GMOH lard bars that are my current shower fave.

Regarding the glowing skin, I have trouble sleeping if there is light in the room, so I hope my salt bars do not cause me to glow in the dark, either!! :rolling:

Latest posts

Back