What soapy thing have you done today?

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

Relle

Administrator & Bunny Fanatic
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Yup, practice makes perfect, right? We should start a thread for knit/crochet projects; I'd love to see your shawl.
I'll have to take some photos now that the rain has stopped. I took my most recent shawl to crochet today and showed them at the table of knowledge and they all like it.

Adobehead

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am the trapezoidal queen. For many years now I have been using this same cutter and always get bars that are totally uneven. I used to stress out about it and look for better cutters, but they are so expensive...... my distributor said she likes it because they look so "handmade" so that's what she tells people.

Also, I suggested that she not put the smaller bars on the table next to bigger ones.... she just puts one at a time, no comparison problems! And if they have ash on one narrow side, no problem, it washes off. My bars are plain except for speckles and they are stamped and wrapped in paper to keep them clean. The paper helps hold the scent of the essential oils I use, so customers love that. These are pachouly EO with red Moroccan clay and powdered pachouly leaf.

Attachments

KiwiMoose

Reaction score
I am the trapezoidal queen. For many years now I have been using this same cutter and always get bars that are totally uneven. I used to stress out about it and look for better cutters, but they are so expensive...... my distributor said she likes it because they look so "handmade" so that's what she tells people.
They look fine! But I get what you mean - the loaf moves as you are cutting. I have started using a bit of baking paper to push against the end of mine so that it doesn't move when I am pushing the knife down.

amd

Reaction score
Filling out show apps for the year, chasing down contacts for more information on some shows, and trying to look like I know what I'm doing...

Also still cussing at this weird soap that refuses to harden properly. When I cut it the FO went all weird on me and I didn't like it, but now the FO has bounced back I really like it, but Immabe so mad if this soap is scrap.

Hoping to make soap tonight.

Dumfrey

Reaction score
No soapy things done in a while still. Puppy is settled in, growing up, and has learned to play responsibly with our other dog.
I feel like I could leave them closed in the main part of the house and not come back to rubble!

So, planning my next project, to involve color. Thinking just pot swirl. I am looking for suggestions on good, bright purple pigment or mica.

MGM

Reaction score
Didn't make these today (over the Christmas holidays, in fact) but I don't think I ever posted about them.
3 takes on lavender:

Brown is lavender + vanilla lace with unknown confetti.
Pink is lavender + mint with peppermint confetti.
Yellow is lavender + frankincense with Frankincense and Myrrh confetti.

Attachments

msunnerstood

Reaction score
Soapy thing plus - Im assembling two gift baskets im donating to the missing persons conference in March. I also have 300 sample lotion tubes to fill and label for it but im going to wait a couple weeks to make the lotion for that part.

rdc1978

Reaction score
I tried a silicone mat technique and I'm an eager beaver who doesn't want to wait two days to see how the design turned out!

But, I kinda like what I did with the extra soap + some purple mica dispersed in oil on the other side!

I'm nervous to see how the other side with the silicone mat turned out. I was fairly confident to the point of.....dare I say....feeling competent.....when I realized I had forgotten to add the fragrance oil and had to try to add it while the soap was in the mold :confused:

IMG_20200223_160452291.jpg

KiwiMoose

Reaction score
I tried a silicone mat technique and I'm an eager beaver who doesn't want to wait two days to see how the design turned out!

But, I kinda like what I did with the extra soap + some purple mica dispersed in oil on the other side!

I'm nervous to see how the other side with the silicone mat turned out. I was fairly confident to the point of.....dare I say....feeling competent.....when I realized I had forgotten to add the fragrance oil and had to try to add it while the soap was in the mold :confused:

View attachment 44085
Can't wait to see the other side! but if it doesn't work - this side looks good too!

Dawni

Reaction score
Can l ask why salt bars should be cured for so long? Thankyou :)
It's not technically a "should" but it definitely gets better at that long a cure. If you try a salt bar at 2 month intervals til a year is up you'll notice a difference in lather and skin feel for sure.