What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made a small 2.5-lb. batch to test an FO blend. My daughter will already have enough soap for her lifetime, but I added to the stockpile today.

Sat in my closet with all my not so good fo's and all my new wonderful fo's, and I sniffed side by side to combine and make awesome personal blend fo's! I made many blends (per my ole snout), and wrote down the blends. Step two is putting a 1:1 drop onto a toilet paper square and into a baggie to see the final scent after it fades some. Then I can confirm whether or not the blends work, and I can do something with the scents I really don't like by combining them with scents I do like.

I got up to soapy cookyness. I my old scaps cuts and un-cool soaps and mix them with water to make ghetto dish soap (it's nothing appealing but is free and seems to clean better and last longer than store dish soap). So with all this talk of cream soap and rot and an itch to play around I took some of aged scappy dish soap and started tinkering with it. I threw it in the mixer whipped it for a while, added some glycerine and then wanted to fluff it up some. I threw it in a double boiler and added some stearic, cooked it for a but and threw it back into the mixer. It wasn't fluffing much but was still pretty warm and fluid so I set it to rest while I ran errands and went about my day. Came back home to find it set up pretty firm (stood up a heavy soup spoon in a couple inches). Whipped it some more but it didn't change much. It's pretty much the consistency of whipped cream cheese and I'm not sure if I want to play with it more, scoop it out of a tub for hand and dish washing or toss it. It doesn't really matter since I had some pretty good fun just playing. Took some pics.
IMG_4817.jpg

Opened my package from Daystar to find only half my order was shipped. Wth?!

Sent an email to find out what is going on. Hopefully she sent another package.

Bought some sunflower oil at the grocery store.
Has this resolved for you? It happened to me this week. She said her grandmother just died and so she has been overwhelmed and forgot to tell me the rest if my stuff is on order and should ship later this week. This was my first time ordering from daystar too so it makes me uneasy...

Oh my gosh, yes, she absolutely resolved all my issues and was very apologetic. I have ordered before without any issues at all, I do believe this is not the norm. So while it was frustrating she certainly took the time to fix it and make sure I was satisfied.

I cleaned and organized my soaping supply shelves and just poured "FL Sunshine" into the mold...it's a Sweet Orange / Litsea EO blend with some M&P drizzles in the loaf and M&P orange wedge embeds on top.

Next up is Bamboo Lotus!

Made another loaf of my favorite soap, my London Particular: clove, cedarwood, black pepper and anise with grey swirls and a grey humpy peaked top. Which did NOT hump because I soaped cool but SB'd forever and ever and it wouldn't get thick even with all those accelerating FOs, which did not bother to accelerate for me. It's gelling and looks ok (and smells divoon) but grrr on the lack of humpiness.

I hit up our local goodwill store for a 50% off everything sale. Picked up 4 stainless steel bowls for mixing and several racks for curing. And for a whopping $2 got a crock and lid that fits my crock pot so I can have 1 for soap.

So my day was going good... Had an amazon package delivered while I was at work. I needed citric acid to make bath fizzies for my nieces for Easter, so I ordered a 5lb bag (what I had at home was enough for soaps and hair rinses, but wouldn't last long making fizzies!).

I saw mayhem when I opened the package and took out the other two items. :(

F23FB869-426C-4678-9406-3A4663115B4C_zpsst9b9o8x.jpg

633BA5BF-5F4E-4458-B7AD-CAF61621F5F5_zpsyi3b9xx9.jpg

It was through another seller that was only fulfilled by amazon. They're refunding me for it and they agreed that it's not in a returnable shape, so they're waiving that part. I'd still have to go back to the seller and order another bag, though.

This is the snow soap I made, Avalanche, scented with a 50/50 eucalyptus/spearmint blend. I got this idea from a Modern Soapmaking tutorial, I've changed it a bit, don't use indigo for coloring, but use a nice blue aquamarine I found, it does have the Cambrian blue clay in it, and I use TD for the white. This is the first time I've had glycerine rivers in the white of this soap, I like them!

I just got the Bud Cutter log splitter and used one of the six pound molds I got from a soaper who was selling out. Bud is sending me spacers to make even logs, the molds are just shy of 9" wide, so the bars need to be something like 2.875" wide. It works well, though, Bud is wonderful to deal with.

avalanche-slab.jpg

avalanche-bud.jpg

avalanche-rivers.jpg

Those soaps are gorgeous, reinbeau and snappyllama!

To cheer myself up from the citric acid disaster, I'm making the hippy dippy soap I have planned for Easter. :D Four colors, three of which are based on OO infusions (annato, madder, and alkanet). The fourth color is titanium dioxide, which is "natural" enough for me. XD Using all veggie oils, though I'm adding cream (and calculated roughly how much fat is in the cream, and added that in to my lye calculations). Everything is mixed up, the infused olive oils are in their separate containers... The lye water is outside cooling down while I have my late dinner.

I rebatched a soap and added some trimmings to it to it to help vamp up the batch. Lol. Hope it comes out correctly. Will cut it tomorrow and post pics.

This weekend is all about trying things I haven't done yet. I made 100% lard soap last night for the first time, going to try a yogurt soap and an avocado soap too.

Latest posts

Back