Quantcast

What soapy thing have you done today?

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

fancyschmancy

Reaction score
You seem to be caught up wanting to sell too soon, when you don't have the experience of soaping behind you.
Like I already said, once Ive moved, thats going to be at least another few months, its not my fault other people are asking to buy but I'm not even selling anything? Should I never mention the word sell in the same sentence as soap?

Mobjack Bay

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I kicked off the new year a day early by making a batch of ZNSC and a batch of salt bars and will probably make more salt bars tomorrow. That will give them plenty of time to cure for Christmas next year :). I also checked my 2019 soap archive for color retention, as well as DOS. The indigo and madder soaps are looking pretty good, with minimal fading at 4-6 months, while the annatto, orange wax and clay soaps all look as bright as the day I made them. The green plant colorants have faded or turned brown. I was unhappy to find a few early soaps that have 1-2 spots of DOS. The batches were made before I started using ROE and CA or EDTA and around the same time. The recipes varied, but they all had OO, so I’m hoping it was a bad bottle of oil. It makes me wish I could get some of that good Australia OO here in the US :).

Sharon Borninkhof

Reaction score
I am waiting for my second batch ever to harden...going on 48 hours. I can see how addicting this could be though.

when you wash stuff, don;t you just do it right away or is it better to wait?
I found that rinsing under cold water straight after pouring works so much better than the next day.

I made a batch of Nag champa with coffee grounds soap and a sandalwood & vanilla. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Dawni

Reaction score
Didn't make soap but ordered a bunch of supplies... Some EOs I've been saving up for like Neroli, tin cans for a balm I've been testing for about a year, and some dried flowers for the infusions I use in my lotion bars.

Hope to make soap soon.. Need to stock up for end of Feb/early March.

I'm glad I almost sold out on what I stocked for the holiday season - only 3 bars left from different batches. All in all, a good first run of sales since I started selling on IG :)

Happy New Year everyone!! Here's to more soapy things - and friendship - in 2020.

Marilyn Norgart

Reaction score
re-making my VD soap--yikes after not making soap for a couple months I seem to forgot how to swirl--spent yesterday watching videos again.

@Zing I wished I would have gotten some patch oil that is awesome!!!!

Dawni

Reaction score
SO happy for you Dawni--you've worked hard at this (kinda hard to call it work though isn't it?)
Thank you Marilyn! *hugs*

I agree.. Hard to call it work when you're enjoying it.
Although... I'm starting to dislike the labeling and packaging part haha. It's just so.... Repetitive lol

Lindywine

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is IG? I'm an old time soaper and make more than I can give away. If you're wondering, this is an old photo by my name!

SoapySuds

The Suds Master
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
@fancyschmancy

By your own admission, you have only been soaping for a couple of months (your introduction thread even uses the word newbie)

Here’s what could happen: you make a fabulous looking soap (not that difficult to do), and a customer comes and says it doesn’t last long enough, or there are orange spots forming or something else, is it their fault they purchased soap from you that is faulty?

But yes it is your fault for making soap. It is your fault that they want to purchase it. It is you.

So, when you have an issue with your soap, and you can’t solve it and you have unsatisfied customers who have stained laundry and burned skin from your product.... nah, you’ll figure it out because, it’s not your fault they want to buy soap from you and sue you for their bad decision of purchasing poorly made but fabulous looking soap from you.

Cause you know, a customer will buy a bar and not use it right away, they bought it as a gift for a friend’s birthday in six months, lose it and then throw it away because it smells weird and no longer looks fabulous, but hey.,. You are an expert. You know everything, and it’s not your fault for selling a bar to somebody begging to buy a bar from you.

Have fun soaping! You don’t need a mentor! You will fail, but hey it’s not your fault!

Mobjack Bay

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't make soap but ordered a bunch of supplies... Some EOs I've been saving up for like Neroli, tin cans for a balm I've been testing for about a year, and some dried flowers for the infusions I use in my lotion bars.

Hope to make soap soon.. Need to stock up for end of Feb/early March.

I'm glad I almost sold out on what I stocked for the holiday season - only 3 bars left from different batches. All in all, a good first run of sales since I started selling on IG :)

Happy New Year everyone!! Here's to more soapy things - and friendship - in 2020.
Congratulations on the good sales and best wishes for 2020!

I cut my Karma copy cat soap this morning. I love this mold - the soap is sooooo slick when it comes out.
View attachment 43208 View attachment 43209
That’s cool looking.

ETA: now that I’ve back tracked through the posts and to avoid trouble with admin let me add that all the soaps you posted recently look great. You’ve certainly been busy :).

Last edited by a moderator:

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier
Reaction score
Last edited:

KiwiMoose

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s cool looking.

ETA: now that I’ve back tracked through the posts and to avoid trouble with admin let me add that all the soaps you posted recently look great. You’ve certainly been busy :).
Ha - don't want to create too much work for @Relle , eh? ;)
Yes - very busy. Stocked up on supplies before Christmas so I didn't have to endure the 'great soaping supplies crisis' of last year's Christmas and New year closure period. I aim to make at least a batch every two days, if not more. All the recipes on my 'to do' list are ones that I'm onto the third time around - so they have been popular. I still want to experiment with my shave soap, and some new food puree recipes, and of course the syndet shampoo bars once my foaming apple arrives from America.

KiwiMoose

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited: