What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have my sincerest sympathy, Relle. I love my baths and I would not be happy if I was limited to 3 min. showers.
I do not even have a bathtub, so showers it is.

Actually, I was thinking the RBO is a bit yellowish as well as avocado. I didn’t worry much about oil color until I started trying to use blue micas.
Refined AVO is a tad on the yellowish, similar to sunflower, but I do not find it affects color as much as RBO. I quit using RBO several years ago strictly because of the color. The problem with AVO is price. While Avocado give a nice feel to soap it adds nothing as far as lather goes, but does add hardness the same as OO so I keep it at the 20% range.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, the doubters, right? One of my sisters will not, under any circumstance, use handmade soap because it's made with lye. I've given up trying to explain it to her. I'll keep giving her soap and she'll just keep giving it to people who love it. Win, win in my book.
My cousin now cant use anything But my soap.....syndets finally got to her....UTIs and such....her doctor forbids her to use commercial soap now.

My cousin now cant use anything But my soap.....syndets finally got to her....UTIs and such....her doctor forbids her to use commercial soap now.
I hate to "like" your post because UTIs... not fun! But, at least she now knows that true soap is better for you than syndets.

So excited with my attempt at remaking soaps and adding vodka, glycerin & sugar. Very pourable and nice color from former soap colors. Accepted the added color & fragrance nicely.

My problem is my ‘soap mountain’ I didn’t get sold. Thinking of how to pkg smaller soap cuts for store providing foods commodities for needy/ homeless.

I like this idea way better than the way I was doing it! I will be making me grease handle after tomorrow!

Hi Kiti, glad soapers are rendering their own fats. I got my first taste of it when neighbors butchered their older heifer( 1998). I started boiling her beautiful fat that filled 3-5 gallon buckets. I thanked her as she produced many lbs. of pretty white, yes, white hard tallow. Made my first loads of soap successfully because of Helen. Not able to get free beef fat from butchers now. They get meat Already vacusealed. Gonna keep looking. Even though it’s a painting clean, it’s sooo much better than buying yellow, loose, smelly tallow.

Love that ingenious fat puller! If I find beef FAT I’ll make one only bigger for my 3 gallon pot

Quilter, If I read this document from SDSU correctly it looks like about 150 pounds of tallow.

What is this about 150# of tallow. I need some. What is SDSU?

AMD, do you EDTA and ROE or another chelator and/or antioxidant?

I found a great cleanser recipe from TheSage called Delaney sisters soap. I was a newbie when I made it. Freaked me out adding ammonia, washing soda & borax to lye H2O (but Realized all ingredients were alkaline) Also added pumice.
What do you add to make it a cleanser?

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a small soap planer/beveler and I practiced planing and beveling some soap into submission. I also made some star and butterfly embeds for future projects. But my favorite thing was I rebatched a pound of goat milk soap shreds, and I added some aloe juice, emu oil and kukui nut oil, and scented it with a Pink Sugar dupe. It is wonderful in the shower---I don't feel the need to cover myself in lotion--the added oils leave just enough on my skin. It's not oily, but it's not dry and scratchy, either.

Activated charcoal, Turmeric, Lemongrass EO and Australian Tea Tree EO soap.

Went so good, 3 what seemed perfect layers on a slant one going one way the other going the other with a copper mica line in between and a little bit of the turmeric coloured soap on top with some more copper mica for decoration, cant wait to cut them its the first time my layers have gone exactly as I had planned to and they didn't collapse or anything :D

80816061_2874088172610020_6189011928954699776_o.jpg

I found a great cleanser recipe from TheSage called Delaney sisters soap. I was a newbie when I made it. Freaked me out adding ammonia, washing soda & borax to lye H2O (but Realized all ingredients were alkaline) Also added pumice.
What do you add to make it a cleanser?
There’s a thread about the Delaney sisters soap recipe, here:
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/sudsy-ammonia-in-soap.41965/#post-394291

I haven’t made the recipe, but maybe the thread will answer your question.

Got so many soapy things for Xmas, including some adorable small molds and a proper stainless steel soaping pot! Made 2 batches of soap today, the first 95% CO and 5% CO and the second a swirly one my dad requested with "masculine" scents :)

Hi Kiti, glad soapers are rendering their own fats. I got my first taste of it when neighbors butchered their older heifer( 1998). I started boiling her beautiful fat that filled 3-5 gallon buckets. I thanked her as she produced many lbs. of pretty white, yes, white hard tallow. Made my first loads of soap successfully because of Helen. Not able to get free beef fat from butchers now. They get meat Already vacusealed. Gonna keep looking. Even though it’s a painting clean, it’s sooo much better than buying yellow, loose, smelly tallow.

My Butcher does sell beef fat, for a few pennies per pound. it is clean with no small spots of meat. I haven't bought much, because boiling it is hard to accomplish. But with the grease handle, that should change.\!

Well - I went from this lovely inspirational you tube video
To this: 2197012A-1FA5-4BFD-BE9A-ABB275C64486.jpeg
I'm so glad I know my recipe well enough to not use the squeeze bottles like she suggests - it would have been way too thick to squeeze. I had planned to pour the circles on top of each other but it was a scoop and plop and swirl in the end. It's the second time I've done a Fig and Rhubarb that has moved too fast and forced me to abort my intricate plans and go with Plan B. Naughty, naughty Fig and Rhubarb!

Well - I went from this lovely inspirational you tube video
To this: View attachment 43131
I'm so glad I know my recipe well enough to not use the squeeze bottles like she suggests - it would have been way too thick to squeeze. I had planned to pour the circles on top of each other but it was a scoop and plop and swirl in the end. It's the second time I've done a Fig and Rhubarb that has moved too fast and forced me to abort my intricate plans and go with Plan B. Naughty, naughty Fig and Rhubarb!

looks beautiful, it reminds me of a floral print, love your red, am waiting on reds from mad micas, couldn't find any good reds I wanted from anywhere in the UK.

Back