What soapy thing have you done today?

Discussion in 'Lye-Based Soap Forum' started by FlybyStardancer, Feb 12, 2014.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. Dec 22, 2019 #14,581

Mobjack Bay

Mobjack Bay

Mobjack Bay

Supporting Member

I get the same FA profiles for RBO in both calculators when I enter RBO as 100% of oils. I’ve been doing a test run of soaps with RBO, but it’s way too early for me to weigh in on DOS. I decided to play it safe and have been adding citric acid or EDTA to any soap that has RBO.

9E5DF52B-CC25-4426-B2FD-EDE02D9C8B2F.png 32F8A231-0D0F-4B7C-9E88-014742A11941.png

linne1gi likes this.
  2. Dec 22, 2019 #14,582

linne1gi

linne1gi

linne1gi

Supporting Member

Do you see at the bottom right that your linoleic and linolenic numbers are at 36? That's way too high! You need to keep that under 14! With those numbers you are practically guaranteeing DOS in about 3-4 months.

3. Dec 22, 2019 #14,583

Mobjack Bay

Mobjack Bay

Mobjack Bay

Supporting Member

I only use RBO in balanced recipes with other oils. I agree with @KiwiMoose that it’s a way to up the hardness and longevity using a soft oil, but you definitely have to keep your eye on the linoleic FA. My base recipes have mostly been close to 9% for linoleic and linolenic combined. The recipes with RBO subbed in for some of the oleic are in the range of 12-15% for linoleic + linolenic.

linne1gi likes this.
  4. Dec 22, 2019 #14,584

fancyschmancy

fancyschmancy

fancyschmancy

My gingerbread house soap, didnt do as much as I wanted but am exhausted, wonky chimneys and stuff lol I had planned to add more stuff but am just done in now anyway, also made half dozen of these snowmen soaps. I had made them already and wasnt very happy with the colour, it seemed yellowish? Meant to be crystal melt and pour, so Id already done these and wasn't happy so I cut the melt and pour bits off and redone the snowmen and snow etc and then melt and pour again, this time I added a little bit of silver sparkle which has helped a little with the weird yellowy tinge so...... Yeah am new to soaping so am quite pleased, not as good as I hoped but trial and error and all that stuff and the gingerbread houses smell amazing, it very much looks, smells and feels like chocolate to the touch lol am sure people will enjoy them anyway, hopefully lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Dec 22, 2019 #14,585

linne1gi

linne1gi

linne1gi

Supporting Member

I think a good choice would be Avocado Oil. Has a fair amount of Palmitic, with less linoleic acid. Have you tried it?

6. Dec 22, 2019 #14,586

Mobjack Bay

Mobjack Bay

Mobjack Bay

Supporting Member

Yes, and I like it. RBO is much less expensive, but I also feel it makes the soap a bit more yellow. I’m still trying to get through the 3 gallons of RBO I bought. It will be easier now that I’ve discovered that it’s nice for skin balms and lotion bars.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
    linne1gi likes this.
  7. Dec 22, 2019 #14,587

linne1gi

linne1gi

linne1gi

Supporting Member

Yes, you're right - and Avocado Oil has a light green tinge. It's okay in small percentages.

8. Dec 22, 2019 #14,588

Mobjack Bay

Mobjack Bay

Mobjack Bay

Supporting Member

Actually, I was thinking the RBO is a bit yellowish as well as avocado. I didn’t worry much about oil color until I started trying to use blue micas.

linne1gi likes this.
  9. Dec 22, 2019 #14,589

sirtim100

sirtim100

sirtim100

Just tried out the shaving soap recipe donated by @Zany_in_CO and it's very very good.

And it's CP, so I think that's cocks a snook at the HP/stearic acid/tallow school of thought, or at least at the firm belief that CP shaving soaps cannot work, ever ever ever.

And it leaves your skin feeling like a baby's bum...:D

10. Dec 23, 2019 #14,590

Zing

Zing

Zing

This just makes me so sad! People are actually related to a soap-maker and don't even realize how lucky they are?!
    My friend just got back from Thailand and brought me several handmade bars. I have no idea what the ingredients are (I'm monolingual English) but love the bubbles and scent.

11. Dec 23, 2019 #14,591

amd

amd

amd

Supporting Member

I have no problems with DOS when using RBO. I use it at 30-36% of my recipe with no issues. I made test batches using various oils when I first started selling and threw them in a box to time test and pull out when I consider making changes to my recipe. Last year when OO started to rise in price and RBO was super cheap at Lowe's, I pulled out my box and looked at my RBO soaps. All were good (and were 3 years old), so I switched. I haven't had problems since the switch either. When I have had DOS, it's only been in food puree soaps (those were made with my original OO recipe), and then only those that were exposed to extreme heat and sun during shows.

ETA: Or using low-oleic sunflower oil, lol. I almost forgot about that disaster.

I had an aunt like that - until she found my mechanic's soap. My uncle (her husband) convinced her to buy a bar of it - she's a rancher so she uses a hard scrubby soap on her hands every day. On Friday she messaged me asking if I would be at Christmas (which was Saturday), she wanted me to bring more mechanic soap and some regular bars to try in her shower. She was really surprised by how much better her hands are even with all the washing compared to the commercial soap she was using, so she wanted some regular soap for bathing to see if it helps her skin. She has lupus, so her skin tends to be uber dry like mine. Sometimes you have to be sneaky to convince people that it's better.

12. Dec 23, 2019 #14,592

Misschief

Misschief

Misschief

Supporting Member

I know, right? However, that said, my mother and my other sisters and the rest of my family including my children, grandchildren, nieces, and nephews all love my soap. I've even sent soap to family in the Netherlands because they wanted to try it; they all love it. So Gail has plenty of people she can pass it on to.

13. Dec 23, 2019 #14,593

Dawni

Dawni

Dawni

Wrapped soap for the 4 aunts, 2 uncles and 6 cousins who are going to spend Christmas Eve with us at our home tomorrow. For the rest, some 16 of em, who I'll be seeing on the 28th (my beloved grandma's first year death pre-anniversary thingy) I'll wrap hopefully on the 26th lol

I'm tired. Lol

Haven't made soap in weeks and I don't see myself making any in the next couple :(

14. Dec 23, 2019 #14,594

KDP

KDP

KDP

The gingerbread houses are adorable! Love them!

Mtn5ro, MaryAlice and Kari Howie like this.
  15. Dec 23, 2019 #14,595

Marilyn Norgart

Marilyn Norgart

Marilyn Norgart

Supporting Member

I have converted my older son (he lives in WA and says it brings home to him) but I highly doubt my younger son will ever use my soap--I have tried using scents that he likes but he likes his liquid, and since I will more than likely never make liquid soap...….....but it really doesn't bother me at all as he has been very supportive of me in every other way

Kari Howie likes this.
  16. Dec 23, 2019 #14,596

Martha

Martha

Martha

047223CC-D6F8-49E7-94F1-6A7FFF35FB76.jpeg
    Have been wrapping soap and sending it off to friends and family.

17. Dec 23, 2019 #14,597

KiwiMoose

KiwiMoose

KiwiMoose

So pleased to hear this AMD. I was starting to look up alternatives to use in my recipe so i could reduce it back to only 10% RBO. I haven't had any problems yet but my oldest soap with 20% RBO is only 10 months - so it could potentially still happen.

amd and Kari Howie like this.
  18. Dec 24, 2019 #14,598

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier

WooHoo.gif
    Luv, luv, luv stories like that! Thanks for sharing!
    Aw, @Dawni, there's no hug Smiley. This will hafta do I guess. :sadgoodbye:

Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
    DarSmith, Kari Howie and Dawni like this.
  19. Dec 24, 2019 #14,599

KeepItSimpleSoap

KeepItSimpleSoap

KeepItSimpleSoap

Here are my Grease Cake Handle pictures. I was unable to add them to my original post. I hope these are in the correct forum. I thought of this once when I was removing the grease and it slid off of the fork back into the water creating a splash and small mess to clean up. GKH1.jpg Tool in the solidified Lard grease cake GKH2.jpg "Cake" on tool removed from pot to replace water GKH3.jpg Removing grease from the tool putting into fresh water. Tool is made up from a piece of wood, a metal disc from a coffee maker and a carriage bolt from TSC. The disc should hang at least halfway down into the grease/cake. None of the parts react with grease or water and they will never be use with LYE.

20. Dec 24, 2019 #14,600

Quilter99755

Quilter99755

Quilter99755

Supporting Member

Thanks for the pics...IF (big IF) I obtain my source of tallow this coming year, I may have need for something like this. I haven't a clue how much tallow is from one beef but has to be more than just the amount from a few steaks! And if I had done this it would have made my life easier the only time I rendered tallow from our steaks.

DarSmith likes this.

Draft saved Draft deleted