What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GU8hSiN.jpg
GU8hSiN
I didn't know how fun naming soaps could be. Starting the Christmas boxes.

I designed and put together a LGCH (Lard Grease Cake Handle). It enables one to lift out the "grease cake" out of the pot to change the rendering water. I will add a picture as soon as I can get "the photographer" out of the kitchen.

I also did an in depth study on water and CP soap making!

View attachment 43050 My soapy thing was crocheting face scrubbies out of Red Heart scrubby yarn for my 2 daughters. I packed them up with 4 of my soaps. They look so pretty, but I still haven’t convinced them that bar soap is better than commercial soap gel.
I know! My daughter still won’t use my bar soap, only liquid. I do make liquid soap and give that to her. You soaps look great!

Where does it say 20%? I thought you just said Palmitic in SMF said 18%. I wouldn’t trust it, sorry. I’ve been using SoapCalc for 7 years, the numbers seem spot on to me. You’ve been having success, however.
I compared Soap making friend with SoapCalc and at 20% Rice Bran Oil the combined linoleic and linolenic numbers are 14. Is that what you meant. I’m sorry to be so dense. Lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 43050 My soapy thing was crocheting face scrubbies out of Red Heart scrubby yarn for my 2 daughters. I packed them up with 4 of my soaps. They look so pretty, but I still haven’t convinced them that bar soap is better than commercial soap gel.
Oh, the doubters, right? One of my sisters will not, under any circumstance, use handmade soap because it's made with lye. I've given up trying to explain it to her. I'll keep giving her soap and she'll just keep giving it to people who love it. Win, win in my book.

Your lucky you can have a bath, not enough water here :(to do that :tub:. I have a 3 min shower
:shower:.
You have my sincerest sympathy, Relle. I love my baths and I would not be happy if I was limited to 3 min. showers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, the doubters, right? One of my sisters will not, under any circumstance, use handmade soap because it's made with lye. I've given up trying to explain it to her. I'll keep giving her soap and she'll just keep giving it to people who love it. Win, win in my book.
Great idea! And attitude!

Hm, from 3 to 18! That seems disproportionately high.

It says here that it's 20%.

I get the same FA profiles for RBO in both calculators when I enter RBO as 100% of oils. I’ve been doing a test run of soaps with RBO, but it’s way too early for me to weigh in on DOS. I decided to play it safe and have been adding citric acid or EDTA to any soap that has RBO.

9E5DF52B-CC25-4426-B2FD-EDE02D9C8B2F.png 32F8A231-0D0F-4B7C-9E88-014742A11941.png

I get the same FA profiles for RBO in both calculators when I enter RBO as 100% of oils. I’ve been doing a test run of soaps with RBO, but it’s way too early for me to weigh in on DOS. I decided to play it safe and have been adding citric acid or EDTA to any soap that has RBO.

View attachment 43052 View attachment 43053
Do you see at the bottom right that your linoleic and linolenic numbers are at 36? That's way too high! You need to keep that under 14! With those numbers you are practically guaranteeing DOS in about 3-4 months.

Do you see at the bottom right that your linoleic and linolenic numbers are at 36? That's way too high! You need to keep that under 14! With those numbers you are practically guaranteeing DOS in about 3-4 months.
I only use RBO in balanced recipes with other oils. I agree with @KiwiMoose that it’s a way to up the hardness and longevity using a soft oil, but you definitely have to keep your eye on the linoleic FA. My base recipes have mostly been close to 9% for linoleic and linolenic combined. The recipes with RBO subbed in for some of the oleic are in the range of 12-15% for linoleic + linolenic.

My gingerbread house soap, didnt do as much as I wanted but am exhausted, wonky chimneys and stuff lol I had planned to add more stuff but am just done in now anyway, also made half dozen of these snowmen soaps. I had made them already and wasnt very happy with the colour, it seemed yellowish? Meant to be crystal melt and pour, so Id already done these and wasn't happy so I cut the melt and pour bits off and redone the snowmen and snow etc and then melt and pour again, this time I added a little bit of silver sparkle which has helped a little with the weird yellowy tinge so...... Yeah am new to soaping so am quite pleased, not as good as I hoped but trial and error and all that stuff and the gingerbread houses smell amazing, it very much looks, smells and feels like chocolate to the touch lol am sure people will enjoy them anyway, hopefully lol

80091745_140714024029437_1413901563100921856_o.jpg

81266777_140714000696106_5675881392848764928_o.jpg

Back