What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
those are gorgeous!! Curious as to what scent you used :)
Thank you Marilyn! I am fairly new to soap making so am very proud of anything I can get into and back out of a mold at this point! xD
Used BB Candy Cane. it came in their holiday collection. its a... perfumey kind of peppermint, and as its' description says, it does accelerate slightly. think i will stick with Peppermint EO in the future. i use 25% Coco Butter in my soap base so the chocolate smell comes through and it goes really well with the Candy Cane.

Got sick of waiting for some inspirational ideas for soap, and went ahead and made a batch of coconut milk soap using a line pour technique that popped up recently on you tube from Tree Marie. Didn't do too badly - but the soap batter was thicker than I would have liked - the joys of soaping with soy wax I guess, we'll have to wait for the reveal tomorrow. I predict the lines will be finer down the bottom of the soap, and thicker near the top.:p
Here's some pics of it in the mold:
View attachment 42898 View attachment 42899
They're gorgeous!!

Could I add coconut milk as the additional fluid?
Yep. Any liquid, as far as I can tell, works :)
dont have a wire cutter yet and i keep "chipping" the bottom edge with my knife.View attachment 42940 View attachment 42941
I'm trying to find where I read it, but apparently a sharper knife chips less? Or, you could try to cut slightly sooner so the soap isn't brittle yet. Those look gorgeous btw :)

The cocoa butter scent never sticks around for long in my soap and I even use unrefined.

I'm trying to find where I read it, but apparently a sharper knife chips less? Or, you could try to cut slightly sooner so the soap isn't brittle yet. Those look gorgeous btw
Thank you for the tips! I've resorted to hand cutting with fishing line. which works really well if im very patient.

The cocoa butter scent never sticks around for long in my soap and I even use unrefined
im not sure how long it will last but i have a test bar from about 4-5 weeks ago and the fragrance oil has all but dissipated (at least as far as i can smell from the outside)but the cocoa butter scent is still goin strong! lol got it from Amazon and i use the heat transfer method with my solid oils, not sure if that makes a difference.

We bought a house that had a refrigerator and cabinets literally rotting off the walls but great bones, gorgeous refinished wood floors throughout, one floor living, in our price range, in a great community, actually everything we wanted except for the kitchen. We're getting quotes on remodeling. We're blessed with a roof over our heads and most all of the necessities despite 'camping inside.'
Brave

there's the microwave. Personally I think it's quicker - but not suitable for older soap
Great explanation, @Dawni. I use the microwave as well. For a single 5-8 oz bar, I grate it up, sprinkle a little water or milk over it (old soap) and nuke 1 minute on #3 (defrost). Let it sit for a few minutes, then squeeze with gloved hands to a smooth texture; hand mold it or put it in a single cavity mold. Good to go in a hour or so. SO easy!

Just finished these! so excited! first time with this technique.
:thumbs: Cool! Very Picasso-ish!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just finished these! so excited! first time with this technique. only problem is the one i seem to keep running into. dont have a wire cutter yet and i keep "chipping" the bottom edge with my knife.View attachment 42940 View attachment 42941
Yep. Any liquid, as far as I can tell, works :)

I'm trying to find where I read it, but apparently a sharper knife chips less? Or, you could try to cut slightly sooner so the soap isn't brittle yet. Those look gorgeous btw :)

The cocoa butter scent never sticks around for long in my soap and I even use unrefined.

Actually it's more about the shape of the knife itself. If the knife has a wider wedge shape (spine or top of knife is wider than the cutting edge), it is more likely to cause the soap to crack while cutting. So often you will see soap makers use a cutter that looks something like a this:

577.jpg

Great explanation, @Dawni. I use the microwave as well. For a single 5-8 oz bar, I grate it up, sprinkle a little water or milk over it (old soap) and nuke 1 minute on #3 (defrost). Let it sit for a few minutes, then squeeze with gloved hands to a smooth texture; hand mold it or put it in a single cavity mold. Good to go in a hour or so. SO easy!
My microwave and container are both big enough... The biggest amount of rebatch I made was poured - take note, not glopped - into my 900g mold almost to the top.
Actually it's more about the shape of the knife itself. If the knife has a wider wedge shape (spine or top of knife is wider than the cutting edge), it is more likely to cause the soap to crack while cutting. So often you will see soap makers use a cutter that looks something like a this:

577.jpg
Actually that's what I use, but with a wooden handle. But I have seen people use big knives without it cracking or chipping..

Soapy thing:
Nada
But I just got back from delivering bamboo toothbrushes and lotion bars :)

Last edited:
We bought a house that had a refrigerator and cabinets literally rotting off the walls but great bones, gorgeous refinished wood floors throughout, one floor living, in our price range, in a great community, actually everything we wanted except for the kitchen. We're getting quotes on remodeling. We're blessed with a roof over our heads and most all of the necessities despite 'camping inside.'
Okay, that makes total sense. I was envisioning a house where there was actually no kitchen. A disaster kitchen makes more sense. Good luck with your renovation. And congratulations on your new home.

My microwave and container are both big enough... The biggest amount of rebatch I made was poured - take note, not glopped - into my 900g mold almost to the top.

Actually that's what I use, but with a wooden handle. But I have seen people use big knives without it cracking or chipping..

Soapy thing:
Nada
But I just got back from delivering bamboo toothbrushes and lotion bars :)
Soap Queen often uses a big knife in her videos to cut soap. But if you look closely it is a particular kind of knife that doesn’t taper at all.

Congrats on all the soap and lotion bar orders you are getting. That’s so cool!

These are beautiful. What's the scent? Still waiting for the interwebs to send scents....
My scent is black rose spice from Wholesale Supplies Plus. It is rose, patchouli, cinnamon and clove, I think. It's definitely my most popular scent. It wasn't my favorite, but at my first craft fair, I sold eight bars and people want more.

Would like to know more about this soap!
I used my standard formula of olive, coconut, avocado and castor oils. I am very happy with this formula and have gotten great results with it. Black Rose Spice fragrance is from WholesaleSuppliesPlus - I love their fragrance oils! It has rose, patchouli and spices (especially cinnamon). It wasn't a personal favorite of mine until I sold quite a few bars and the people who bought them want more. I mainly sell to young women who are just starting out in their careers and the millennials do seem to love patchouli!

These are really really something. What was your technique?
Thank you! The red is just clear MP with red mica (MM Voodoo). pretended it was ribbon candy and poured it out onto a silicone mat, then rip, twist and place! wicked easy. cool results with lots of inspiration for future endeavors!

yea. gotta get me one of these as well. ordered a whole bundle off Amazon but never arrived :/

Today I fondl, er um, I mean turned my curing soaps. I made my last and 101st lotion bar for Christmas gifts -- on a hot plate because...wait for it... I HAVE NO KITCHEN, not that I'm impatient or anything. Had to borrow measuring cups and spoons from a neighbor because we can't find ours in the 1,000 unpacked moving boxes in our house. And, off topic, my 12th and final birdseed wreath. Went shopping and bought golden jojoba oil for a special foot lotion for my wife -- shh, Christmas secrets!

Done! No issues at all thankfully.View attachment 42893
Eh. I need to remember to clean my molds before taking pics lol
I also need to remember to align the soaps before taking a pic lol

So, cleaned em up a bit
_20191216_193703.JPG

Wasn't expecting distinct patterns here but I got em. Some are nicer than most, some (not pictured) have only blob looking things lol I must have not spooned the swirls enough. These will lighten up drastically over the two months I usually cure em. Hopefully the blobs won't be too noticeable hehehe

Latest posts

Back