Quantcast

What soapy thing have you done today?

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

KiwiMoose

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What did you scent it with? I use a blue green with just a smidge of black for my rosemary bars
Ha! Rosemary/Patchouli/May Chang (Litsea)

And today I made Black Raspberry Vanilla soap that doesn't discolour! ( Nature's Garden). No probs soaping this one, and had a nice fluid batter to work with. There's a surprise underneath:
IMG_1629.jpeg IMG_1630.jpeg

Martha

Reaction score
I did it! Made shampoo bars! I tested one this morning though and I think the recipe needs tweaking - nowhere near as much lather as the Lush ones. It took about five circles round my head to get it lathered, instead of the Lush which take one or two.
View attachment 42826 View attachment 42827
Those look great. I think shampoo bars are the next rabbit hole I will go down.

Martha

Reaction score
IMG_7464.jpeg
Cut my first batch of @Zany_in_CO 's No Slime Castille soap. It felt and smells amazing and now I'll have to impatiently be patient for it to cure to perfection. I've been printing out and cutting labels for the soap I will be giving as holiday gifts. Naming soaps is hard. Don't laugh at mine.

We have an Ikea wardrobe that has a pull out mesh drawer, which I've turned into my curing rack. I think I'm a genius. hee hee. But honestly I've pretty much filled up that drawer. It's a good thing that I'm sending out these soaps soon.

Last edited:

Dawni

Reaction score
Those look good @Martha!

The pull out shelf is indeed smart.. Just make sure you have something in between the soap and the metal mesh parts, like cotton cloth or something breathable.. To avoid contamination ;)

Soapy thing: Planing, wrapping and labeling more orders.

SideDoorSoaps

Reaction score
I did it! Made shampoo bars! I tested one this morning though and I think the recipe needs tweaking - nowhere near as much lather as the Lush ones. It took about five circles round my head to get it lathered, instead of the Lush which take one or two.
View attachment 42826 View attachment 42827
Yay!!!! They look great! I can’t wait til my stuff comes! What kind of mold did you use? I have a silicone muffin mold and a semi-circle hard plastic candy type mold.

Dawni

Reaction score
So I only recently started posting my soaps on Instagram under my business name.... And woo-hoo! Got my first IG order for 8 soaps from a stranger! So far I've only sold to (extended) family, their friends and a few of mine through word of mouth.

It's exciting but at the same time I'm nervous lol what if they don't like em? I hope they do though...

KiwiMoose

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I only recently started posting my soaps on Instagram under my business name.... And woo-hoo! Got my first IG order for 8 soaps from a stranger! So far I've only sold to (extended) family, their friends and a few of mine through word of mouth.

It's exciting but at the same time I'm nervous lol what if they don't like em? I hope they do though...
That's so cool Dawni! I've been thinking about setting up Instagram - so maybe I will go ahead and do that now.

Martha

Reaction score

What’s your Instagram name? I’m sure your customers will love your soap!

Lindywine

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perfect Bituminous Lump of Coal MP Soap---activated charcoal, black knight mica, anise EO. Get out your chef's knife and cut, gouge, make it look like a rock pick loosened from a bed of coal. Shiny, and smells great...Good stocking stuffer using WholesaleSupplies Plus labels printed on glossy photo paper with inkjet printer. Place in burlap bags for sale---result is stunningly real. No photo because they had to be shipped for sale last night, but will make more.

Dumfrey

Reaction score
Made another test batch of Songwind's recipe with a small tweak, brought on by a shortage of stearic acid. To make 8 oz with the 3.5 oz SA I had, I added some tallow. The end result was (in oz):

3.5 stearic acid
3.5 CO
1 tallow
3 water
1.7 KOH

The justification for the change, apart from the shortage, was to try a shaving soap with tallow. I added 1.5 tablespoon of glycerine and a 0.25 oz blend of lavender, rosemary, bergamot and peppermint as per the recipe. Followed DeeAnna's process from start to finish, and the end result looks (and smells) good. It's now in a Pringles mini container (ate the Pringles in the interests of science and furthering human knowledge), and that's it.

Happy soaping, everyone
Add some lanolin and this is very close to the lbussey version. Which I have found to be perfect for me.

Kari Howie

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Oh that is so wonderful, Dawni! Well done. I know your customers will love your soaps!

sirtim100

Reaction score
Add some lanolin and this is very close to the lbussey version. Which I have found to be perfect for me.
Many thanks for the suggestion. I actually bought a little bottle of lanolin, and I think I'll have to add some to the next batch. A lot of shavers say very good things about Mitchell's and that stuff goes baah.

Kari Howie

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score