What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took a break from CP and made some M&P soap to take to my 94 year old MIL on Thanksgiving. Christmas scent in the green ones, and grapefruit and bergamot in the others. Capture.GIF

It does. Mine looks like Dijon mustard before it fades - complete with the flecks hehe. Can't wait to see yours..
Hmmmm - almost a bit pink? The underside is coloured with turmeric which was a dark mustard colour going into the mold. And the topside had TD with some ground calendula petals in it - it also has 'air pockets' where I sprinkled some calendula petals into the moulds that somehow didn't stay on top. Do you think the colour will change in time?IMG_1577.jpegIMG_1578.jpeg

Sniffed 40 FOs from my Aztec order. I think they were all pretty awesome but to be honest that was about 30 too many to sniff in one sitting for me so I stopped being able to distinguish between them.

Hmmmm - almost a bit pink? The underside is coloured with turmeric which was a dark mustard colour going into the mold. And the topside had TD with some ground calendula petals in it - it also has 'air pockets' where I sprinkled some calendula petals into the moulds that somehow didn't stay on top. Do you think the colour will change in time?View attachment 42668View attachment 42669

IDK, but I love this mold! Best thing for shampoo bars, easy to hold when the shampoo gets wet!

Hmmmm - almost a bit pink?

I was going to say something last night when you were talking about the colour of the turmeric batter going into the mold, but I was curious to see if you would have a different outcome than I did. I did a turmeric soap quite a few months ago and it was such a gorgeous and bright colour going into the mold, but faded fast and was a pale pinky peach by the time I cut it. This was back when I was wanting to keep things all natural and have since given in to using micas to get the colours I like. :(

ps....it has faded slightly more over the months, but the majority of the fade happened right away.

Hmmmm - almost a bit pink? The underside is coloured with turmeric which was a dark mustard colour going into the mold. And the topside had TD with some ground calendula petals in it - it also has 'air pockets' where I sprinkled some calendula petals into the moulds that somehow didn't stay on top. Do you think the colour will change in time?View attachment 42668View attachment 42669
Maybe not? Turmeric doesn't stay orange/yellow for long is what I've found. Annatto does it better. That's a similar color to how my turmeric soleseife looks like now, a few months after making it. Cute soap though :)

Just did another 12 bar batch of my Perfect Soap recipe. Olive, canola castor, palm, coconut, lard, bee's, shea. Scented with Peru Balsam plant resinoid. Gonna be a brown soap. Here are a couple of pics of it in my adapted 40-bar slab mold - just poured.
Is it the resinoid giving you the color? I am trying to get that color and can’t quite get there.

Not mustard, but the color is pretty.

I just made a batch of soap using a shortening blend that is tallow and lard. It’s my first time using tallow, so I planned a very simple soap with swirls on the top. Due to the magic of lard, the batter was very well behaved even though I was working at 105F. The scent is Nature’s Fragrance Forest Hike, so I tried to go with a woodsy theme. I still find it challenging to get the right amount of mica when I’m portioning off small amounts of batter. I think the brown in particular could have used more. I’m also not very good at straight lines, but I guess that won’t be obvious when I cut the bars. This is also my first soap with EDTA. I still have mixed feelings about using it, but I’ve had a couple more cases of DOS. EDTA seems like the lesser of two evils.

70DC46F7-B77C-410C-8ADD-C3B2F13FE586.jpeg

Last edited:
Now that I've turned into a full-bore, no-questions-asked soap junky, it was only a matter of time before I started toying with the idea of HP. I resisted, tossed and turned in bed, just said no, but today I cracked, ran down to the druggist's and laid in half a kilo of KOH, stearic acid and made my own bain marie (home looks suspiciously like a meth lab now).

Followed @DeeAnna's version of Songwind's recipe (viz the humungous thread, 64 pages no less, got to p.31 and had to eat something). Evidently the end product is for shaving. The EOs are cedar and bergamot. And it all seemed to work. The problem is that HP is a whole new ball game, so I felt even more lost than usual. And I'm not entirely sure that I like it, it's even more stressful than CP.

Sniffed 40 FOs from my Aztec order. I think they were all pretty awesome but to be honest that was about 30 too many to sniff in one sitting for me so I stopped being able to distinguish between them.
You're better than I am...got an order of 12 and halfway through they all smelled the same. My sniffer was broken by then! LOL

Latest posts

Back