What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I rolled what must be 1000 soap balls. (Nope, that's not a typo.) They're each only about 3mm in diameter and it took a ridiculous amount of time and the worst part is, I don't even know what I want to use them for yet. I'm still just trying to get rid of the Soap from Hell.

6 bars down, 4 to go... *sigh*

mini soap balls.jpg

Returned a 1 lb container of lye to the hardware store. Unopened, so got my $8 back.

Wanted to "practice" another milk soap before taking a stab at a goats milk with WSP OMH so I made a milk soap with some left over vanilla EO and FO mixed together. It was a batch I didn't mind if it failed cause I was just testing out methods. Looks nice though!

Update - getting my first ash on this one. Hopefully doesn't mean I screwed it up. Waiting one more day to unmold and do a zap test.

Another note - I have this molded in a milk carton, thanks to someone else on this forum's post that they use milk cartons as molds - that was brilliant and will have to find that person and thank them.

Goat's Milk OMH will have to wait till I know this recipe is OK... :cry:

Packed up three soap orders. Pulled out stuff to make shampoo bars - tomorrow. Made a bunch of cigar bands for a labeling party - my girlfriend and I get together and label and drink wine. Makes the chore much easier when shared.

If I keep participating in this thread I'm going to sound like a broken record.

More shave soap came out of the molds and was cut yesterday. The previous bars shrunk a lot more than I thought they would, and they're unacceptably light, now. So I cut these a bit thicker, and it came out very well.

I also picked up a miter box, which allowed me to get straighter, more regular cuts than the solution I was using before. Marked the inside of the box with the width I wanted and away we went.

did a manuka honey soap that is currently having a hot full gel. all the sugar is having a tea party down there.

Yesterday I made the super-lye heavy castile using milk and honey. Today I'm watching it to see what it does. Taking a bunch of painkillers today, so I don't trust myself with measuring out ingredients for another batch.

On the other hand, it's been 4 weeks since I made my first batch! :D I moved some of it into the bathroom so that I"ll be able to try it out!

Following this up at the right time? Made mp today, which I only do for my son. He loves the BB Shea mp. I'll tell you that this is more stressful than cp. I can control cp batter so much better. I can't stand the skin (like pudding) that forms on top while waiting. What is it that makes this soap so plastic-like. Is it the glycerin, sorbitol, sorbitan oleate, or oat protein??? When I cleaned it from my bowl, it literally pulled it off like a sheet of plastic. But he loves it, and it love him :)

Meant to say "I" love him :)

Last edited by a moderator:
making some gm mp for a couple of customers. my personal life has been so sh*tty lately, but in my lil soapy kingdom everything's going good so far. orders, however small, keep coming regularly. soap god has been kind to let me pay my cc, lol

oh, and i have to make a lil soap cake for my bestie's bday..

Last edited:
What's birth soap? I'm intrigued.

I infused some annatto, calendula and alkanet in oo today and bought a butt load of essential oils . Yay Sooo expensive! Thank you tax refund!

What's birth soap? I'm intrigued.

I infused some annatto, calendula and alkanet in oo today and bought a butt load of essential oils . Yay Sooo expensive! Thank you tax refund!

When my hubs and I first started to make soaps we where so excited... When it was time to un-mold he yelled "let's birth the soap". So birthing the soap in our house is simply taking it out of the mold when it's ready. It just gets us excited.

Totally agree... I took my tax refund and went on a soap shopping spree. It made me happier than a kid in a candy store. :)

Enjoy all your goodies.

I'm waiting on a shipment of oils. I'm going to try mango butter in a tropical soap. Meanwhile looking at the castile and bastile soaps just at end of 6 wk curing. I hope to sell those to the farmstands and feed and seed stores in my area.

I had a pretty fun soaping weekend.

On Thursday I made my first lard-based soap. I wanted to test Efficacious Gentleman's claim that there was no need for butters in a hand soap. Scented with WSP "Bergamot & Mandarin" oil. I used some sample micas (red-orange + yellow) and got this very orange color.

Then on Saturday & Sunday I made and unmolded/cut some more shave soap. This batch was the Ice Wyrm variety, which is peppermint, rosemary, and black pepper.

I had a pretty fun soaping weekend.

On Thursday I made my first lard-based soap. I wanted to test Efficacious Gentleman's claim that there was no need for butters in a hand soap. Scented with WSP "Bergamot & Mandarin" oil. I used some sample micas (red-orange + yellow) and got this very orange color.

Then on Saturday & Sunday I made and unmolded/cut some more shave soap. This batch was the Ice Wyrm variety, which is peppermint, rosemary, and black pepper.

I look forward to the results!

Latest posts

Back