What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first thought was a minimal ITP swirl. Here's one of my favourite soaps (my grandson claimed the last one in the batch, darn it!). In the uncoloured base, I poured some whitened (with TD) and pale blue swirls. I absolutely love the swirls in this one. It was last years's Christmas soap and each bar has a M & P snowflake.
View attachment 42082

Pretty soap! Can I “borrow” the idea for holiday soaps? I can’t remember if I ever tried an ITP swirl except for my salt bars. What trace level is good for this technique?

@runnerchicki - I know I’ve watch E.G. build a soap with a sailboat embed. She goes nice and slow and explains everything she does, which is great. Thanks!

Last edited:
Pretty soap! Can I “borrow” the idea for holiday soaps? I can’t remember if I ever tried an ITP swirl except for my salt bars. What trace level is good for this technique?
Borrow away. You want a fairly light trace. You do need to be able to pour the batter. Just pour your colours into the main colour in a variety of spots, give it a quick stir, then pour into your mold. Here's the top of those bars.... just cuz. The sea salt on the top has been very lightly coloured with ultramarine blue and the whole was sprinkled with cosmetic glitter.
20180919_103840_HDR.jpg

My first thought was a minimal ITP swirl. Here's one of my favourite soaps (my grandson claimed the last one in the batch, darn it!). In the uncoloured base, I poured some whitened (with TD) and pale blue swirls. I absolutely love the swirls in this one. It was last years's Christmas soap and each bar has a M & P snowflake.
View attachment 42082

Very pretty Missy! I've just had a look at one of Eve's soaps too thank you @runnerchicki and i'm feeling a bit inspired to do a pretty swirl : ). I find my coathanger is too thin so i might have to go hunting at the hardware store for one of those tie rod thingeys??

I just had my first major acceleration but I managed to cram it into the mold. We will just have to see what happens.

Were you expecting it, or did it hit you by surprise?

I was wary due to a new recipe I was trying, soaping warmer than usual and FO that were unknowns (from a reputable place but light on soap info)
I'm very cautious when buying FOs now - if there is no soap info and no reviews then I usually avoid. Besides - I have enough FO and EO in my cupboard now to go a year without buying any more. First world soaping problems ;)

I'm very cautious when buying FOs now - if there is no soap info and no reviews then I usually avoid. Besides - I have enough FO and EO in my cupboard now to go a year without buying any more. First world soaping problems ;)

LOL these were a gift from my son last year. He gave me a huge basket of FO for Christmas. I have used them in MP, scrubs, butters and HP. This was the first (and last) time in CP.

Borrow away. You want a fairly light trace. You do need to be able to pour the batter. Just pour your colours into the main colour in a variety of spots, give it a quick stir, then pour into your mold. Here's the top of those bars.... just cuz. The sea salt on the top has been very lightly coloured with ultramarine blue and the whole was sprinkled with cosmetic glitter.
View attachment 42083
Thanks so much!

LOL these were a gift from my son last year. He gave me a huge basket of FO for Christmas. I have used them in MP, scrubs, butters and HP. This was the first (and last) time in CP.
It’s sweet that your son bought you FOs. That was very thoughtful.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just ordered another 5kg box of soy wax, and some neroli cosmetic grade oil, ho leaf EO (@IrishLass ), and my favourite (almost time to make a third batch of this) fig and rhubarb FO.
AND I've been watching Eve's Garden on you tube thank you @runnerchicki
I can see soap on my horizon. Who needs a crystal ball?

I made three lbs of soap, one for the Nag Champa test batch and the rest went to my second attempt at this months challenge. I did end up giving in and using a fragrance with that as well despite saying I wouldn't but I couldn't resist. I went with Nurture's "Awaken" since I had it on hand. But everything seems to have gone very well so far so fingers crossed!

Unfortunately, I can't smell a **** thing right now because my sinuses are still draining :(

OH! I also finally tried my first batch of soap. It lathers nicely and has just the right amount of bubbles so I'm super pleased about that as well.

**edit- HAHA! I didn't realize that was a censored word here. The stars make it look so much worse lol

What soapy thing? A disaster apparently. I was trying for spearmint/peppermint soap and ended up with this! Crumbly bottom, soft top, gel-looking middle. Can anyone suggest what went awry? I used a recipe that I have used before without problems. Here are some photos. All/any comments welcome!

I feel like I’m staring at cheesecake. It looks delicious.

—————————

I purchased a soap cutter.

Hopefully, I can grab it from the ups guy before anyone notices that I bought something.

Last edited:
I went off shopping for a new source for oils that ships inexpensively to Hawaii...found MicroNaturals with free shipping to HI! Bought a few small bottles of various oils to try out, looking forward to seeing if they are quality or not. Pricing seems pretty decent considering free shipping....

Also, moved a baker's rack from the garage up to the soaping room to organize oils and tools. Finished building a new wood mold that I can do 20 bars in and wrote a new recipe that I'm excited to try out! It was a busy soaping day that didn't involve any actual soapmaking.

I purchased a soap cutter.

Hopefully, I can grab it from the ups guy before anyone notices that I bought something.

I need to build or buy a soap cutter soon. I'm getting tired of using kitchen knives!

Last edited by a moderator:
I cut the acceleration abomination and was pleasantly surprised. With the exception of the ends with HUGE voids, the rest of the bars were okay. Partial gel, a few glycerin rivers but overall better than expected. The FOs are dark almond and bite me. Tried to do sort of a cherry almond thing.

Attachments

• IMG_0852.JPG
    IMG_0852.JPG
    194.3 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
I cut the acceleration abomination and was pleasantly surprised. With the exception of the ends with HUGE voids, the rest of the bars were okay. Partial gel, a few glycerin rivers but overall better than expected. The FOs are dark almond and bite me. Tried to do sort of a cherry almond thing.
Nothing wrong with those at all! Fab! Colours are good for the scent you've used.

I went off shopping for a new source for oils that ships inexpensively to Hawaii...found MicroNaturals with free shipping to HI!
Hi SoapingWet! And Welcome!
If it's not too much trouble, could you please supply a link to MicroNaturals? The site that came up when I googled only offered a few products, no oils. What am I missing?

I just recently made a soap that looks a lot like that. My emulsion was very thin and on the unstable side of things. I had an oil film on the top after a few hours, but the soap never fully separated. I started at RT and although it heated up a bit, it cooled off quickly. It was a small batch (525 g oils). I had similar problems when I first started making small batches using individual cavity molds. After my recent fail, I successfully made two more batches with the same recipe. The only difference was that I blended both of them a bit more. They were still pre-trace, but more the consistency of thick cream versus thin cream (which I realize is totally in the eyes of the observer).
I am planning to try the same recipe tomorrow. Thanks for your comments!

Latest posts

Back