What soapy thing have you done today?

Discussion in 'Lye-Based Soap Forum' started by FlybyStardancer, Feb 12, 2014.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. Oct 16, 2019 #13,741

Mobjack Bay

Mobjack Bay

Mobjack Bay

Supporting Member

I just recently made a soap that looks a lot like that. My emulsion was very thin and on the unstable side of things. I had an oil film on the top after a few hours, but the soap never fully separated. I started at RT and although it heated up a bit, it cooled off quickly. It was a small batch (525 g oils). I had similar problems when I first started making small batches using individual cavity molds. After my recent fail, I successfully made two more batches with the same recipe. The only difference was that I blended both of them a bit more. They were still pre-trace, but more the consistency of thick cream versus thin cream (which I realize is totally in the eyes of the observer).

runnerchicki and Kari Howie like this.
  2. Oct 17, 2019 #13,742

Mobjack Bay

Mobjack Bay

Mobjack Bay

Supporting Member

Actually, maybe y’all can help me! I’m hoping to achieve is a random wispy look throughout the body of the soap. I think I’m okay on random, but I would like more wispyness (if that’s a word!). For some reason I thought I could get that with a drop pour and I also thought the red would sink down even though I poured it in towards the end. I’m still very much a newbie when it comes to swirling soap! If I drop pour and then hanger swirl, will I get wispy? Or, if anyone can suggest videos for me to watch, please do!

3. Oct 17, 2019 #13,743

runnerchicki

runnerchicki

runnerchicki

Supporting Member

Evesgardensoaps on youtube. She does some very pretty and very wispy swirls in her soaps. I'm sure there are others but that is the one I thought of right away.

ETA: I would think the gauge of the tool you use to swirl will have an impact on how wispy the swirls are. Thick tool = thicker swirls. Thin tool = thinner, more wispy swirls. I get some wispy swirls by using a chopstick. But I'm not very good at swirling so take my suggestions with a grain of salt LOL.

Edited again to add: If you want to swirl throughout the soap - maybe an ITP swirl? Ophelia's soapery on youtube - she's a master at this.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
    Karmic, KiwiMoose and Mobjack Bay like this.
  4. Oct 17, 2019 #13,744

Misschief

Misschief

Misschief

Supporting Member

My first thought was a minimal ITP swirl. Here's one of my favourite soaps (my grandson claimed the last one in the batch, darn it!). In the uncoloured base, I poured some whitened (with TD) and pale blue swirls. I absolutely love the swirls in this one. It was last years's Christmas soap and each bar has a M & P snowflake.
    20180919_153927_HDR.jpg

Nanette, SoapySuds, Karmic and 6 others like this.
  5. Oct 17, 2019 #13,745

bookreader451

bookreader451

bookreader451

Supporting Member

I just had my first major acceleration but I managed to cram it into the mold. We will just have to see what happens.

6. Oct 17, 2019 #13,746

Mobjack Bay

Mobjack Bay

Mobjack Bay

Supporting Member

Pretty soap! Can I “borrow” the idea for holiday soaps? I can’t remember if I ever tried an ITP swirl except for my salt bars. What trace level is good for this technique?

@runnerchicki - I know I’ve watch E.G. build a soap with a sailboat embed. She goes nice and slow and explains everything she does, which is great. Thanks!

Nanette and runnerchicki like this.
  7. Oct 17, 2019 #13,747

Misschief

Misschief

Misschief

Supporting Member

Borrow away. You want a fairly light trace. You do need to be able to pour the batter. Just pour your colours into the main colour in a variety of spots, give it a quick stir, then pour into your mold. Here's the top of those bars.... just cuz. The sea salt on the top has been very lightly coloured with ultramarine blue and the whole was sprinkled with cosmetic glitter.
    20180919_103840_HDR.jpg

Nanette, Karmic, Millie and 3 others like this.
  8. Oct 17, 2019 #13,748

KiwiMoose

KiwiMoose

KiwiMoose

Very pretty Missy! I've just had a look at one of Eve's soaps too thank you @runnerchicki and i'm feeling a bit inspired to do a pretty swirl : ). I find my coathanger is too thin so i might have to go hunting at the hardware store for one of those tie rod thingeys??

Were you expecting it, or did it hit you by surprise?

runnerchicki likes this.
  9. Oct 17, 2019 #13,749

bookreader451

bookreader451

bookreader451

Supporting Member

I was wary due to a new recipe I was trying, soaping warmer than usual and FO that were unknowns (from a reputable place but light on soap info)

10. Oct 17, 2019 #13,750

KiwiMoose

KiwiMoose

KiwiMoose

I'm very cautious when buying FOs now - if there is no soap info and no reviews then I usually avoid. Besides - I have enough FO and EO in my cupboard now to go a year without buying any more. First world soaping problems ;)

bookreader451 and SoaperForLife like this.
  11. Oct 17, 2019 #13,751

bookreader451

bookreader451

bookreader451

Supporting Member

LOL these were a gift from my son last year. He gave me a huge basket of FO for Christmas. I have used them in MP, scrubs, butters and HP. This was the first (and last) time in CP.

KiwiMoose likes this.
  12. Oct 17, 2019 #13,752

Mobjack Bay

Mobjack Bay

Mobjack Bay

Supporting Member

Thanks so much!

It’s sweet that your son bought you FOs. That was very thoughtful.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2019
  13. Oct 17, 2019 #13,753

KiwiMoose

KiwiMoose

KiwiMoose

I just ordered another 5kg box of soy wax, and some neroli cosmetic grade oil, ho leaf EO (@IrishLass ), and my favourite (almost time to make a third batch of this) fig and rhubarb FO.
    AND I've been watching Eve's Garden on you tube thank you @runnerchicki
    I can see soap on my horizon. Who needs a crystal ball?

14. Oct 17, 2019 #13,754

Karmic

Karmic

Karmic

I made three lbs of soap, one for the Nag Champa test batch and the rest went to my second attempt at this months challenge. I did end up giving in and using a fragrance with that as well despite saying I wouldn't but I couldn't resist. I went with Nurture's "Awaken" since I had it on hand. But everything seems to have gone very well so far so fingers crossed!

Unfortunately, I can't smell a **** thing right now because my sinuses are still draining :(

OH! I also finally tried my first batch of soap. It lathers nicely and has just the right amount of bubbles so I'm super pleased about that as well.

**edit- HAHA! I didn't realize that was a censored word here. The stars make it look so much worse lol

runnerchicki, Dawni, Nanette and 2 others like this.
  15. Oct 17, 2019 #13,755

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier

WooHoo.gif CONGRATULATIONS!

SYT and Nanette like this.
  16. Oct 17, 2019 #13,756

SoapySuds

SoapySuds

SoapySuds

The Suds Master Supporting Member

I feel like I’m staring at cheesecake. It looks delicious.

—————————

I purchased a soap cutter.

Hopefully, I can grab it from the ups guy before anyone notices that I bought something.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
  17. Oct 17, 2019 #13,757

SoapingWet

SoapingWet

SoapingWet

I went off shopping for a new source for oils that ships inexpensively to Hawaii...found MicroNaturals with free shipping to HI! Bought a few small bottles of various oils to try out, looking forward to seeing if they are quality or not. Pricing seems pretty decent considering free shipping....

Also, moved a baker's rack from the garage up to the soaping room to organize oils and tools. Finished building a new wood mold that I can do 20 bars in and wrote a new recipe that I'm excited to try out! It was a busy soaping day that didn't involve any actual soapmaking.

I need to build or buy a soap cutter soon. I'm getting tired of using kitchen knives!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2019
  18. Oct 17, 2019 #13,758

msunnerstood

msunnerstood

msunnerstood

I normally try that too but when the mailman rang the bell yesterday because their were 6 big boxes, it didnt work so well :shakinghead:

SoapingWet, Mooicle, Nanette and 3 others like this.
  19. Oct 17, 2019 #13,759

Marilyn Norgart

Marilyn Norgart

Marilyn Norgart

Supporting Member

sounds like you are feeling better???

20. Oct 17, 2019 #13,760

bookreader451

bookreader451

bookreader451

Supporting Member

I cut the acceleration abomination and was pleasantly surprised. With the exception of the ends with HUGE voids, the rest of the bars were okay. Partial gel, a few glycerin rivers but overall better than expected. The FOs are dark almond and bite me. Tried to do sort of a cherry almond thing.

Attached Files: