What soapy thing have you done today?

Discussion in 'Lye-Based Soap Forum' started by FlybyStardancer, Feb 12, 2014.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. Oct 15, 2019 #13,721

Mobjack Bay

Mobjack Bay

Mobjack Bay

Supporting Member

Sorry, I know @Relle is going to be noticing that I did not string my threads together :rolleyes:.

I made my first soy wax soap today. It seems to have gone perfectly at 20% Golden Wax 415 in a recipe that is high on soft oils. I also used RBO for the only the second time. Working at 115F always makes me nervous, but I had plenty of time to color the batter and then do the “in the mold” type pouring you see on Instagram :). The soap is scented with BB Lingonberry Spice and the colors are red and green for Christmas (that may get me off the hook with @Relle). Plus, I used a new linear swirl technique I learned for last month’s challenge for the top. Here’s my in the mold pic:

1FFD2F79-51B3-441D-A217-F89500B1C3DC.jpeg

Yes please!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2019
    DKing, Dawni, cmzaha and 2 others like this.
  2. Oct 15, 2019 #13,722

KiwiMoose

KiwiMoose

KiwiMoose

That top looks lovely! Lucky I saved you from a third post in succession by squeezing my one in there eh? ;)

ETA - but you pipped me at the post wiht that last one in there!

Mobjack Bay likes this.
  3. Oct 15, 2019 #13,723

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier

I love that green color too! If you haven't already done so, Baqn, and if it isn't too much trouble, could you please post this in the Photo Gallery Forum with details on how you got that color?

Nanette and TeresaGG like this.
  4. Oct 15, 2019 #13,724

Mobjack Bay

Mobjack Bay

Mobjack Bay

Supporting Member

Okay, there’s enough other posts here now for me to pop back in. Thanks! For some reason I felt the need to mentally prepare for some kind of unexpected twist or turn with the soy wax, but it was basically uneventful. If I don’t end up with a bunch of steric spots, I’m going to up the soy wax to 30% for the next batch. Have you ever gone that high? I noticed that a contributor to your soy wax thread mentioned using 40% and Earlene uses 30%. I will also need to check for zap because I used lard as the stand in for the GW 415 in the calculator.

KiwiMoose likes this.
  5. Oct 15, 2019 #13,725

cmzaha

cmzaha

cmzaha

Supporting Member

I have shallow crates that hold 2 of my 18" molds which I put on top of a heating pad with a heat lap blanket on top and a cotton blanket on top of that. I want my soaps to gel!! Warning you do have to keep an eye on them. When I pour the next set I move the bottom to the top so it does take a bit of work but my soap always gel. If they start to overheat I just move the container to my table and aim a fan on them. By putting them in the container I do not have to worry about messing up the tops since I fill my molds to the very tops.

Also if there are any horrors of spills or volocanos, leaking etc the crates catch everything.

Nanette and Zany_in_CO like this.
  6. Oct 15, 2019 #13,726

Mobjack Bay

Mobjack Bay

Mobjack Bay

Supporting Member

@cmzaha good idea about catching the volcano and I really need to find my heating pad. I know that if I go out and buy a new one I will find the one I already have immediately after that.

7. Oct 15, 2019 #13,727

cmzaha

cmzaha

cmzaha

Supporting Member

:thumbs::thumbs: Yup. Just keep an eye on the molds for overheating. I usually use 33% Lye Concentration and have to force my recipe and most fragrances to gel.

Mobjack Bay likes this.
  8. Oct 15, 2019 #13,728

TeresaGG

TeresaGG

TeresaGG

Found and counted the tubs of my soaping supplies in the storage room to estimate space needed in new setup. Writing that it doesn't seem like much. Today was still a good day.

runnerchicki and Marilyn Norgart like this.
  9. Oct 15, 2019 #13,729

KiwiMoose

KiwiMoose

KiwiMoose

I've only ever done 20%max. I need all the rest for my other 6 oils. Together they make up the FA profile just how I like it. I find the SW is much better when it gels BTW. Otherwise it can be crumbly/brittle.

10. Oct 15, 2019 #13,730

sirtim100

sirtim100

sirtim100

Just made some goat milk soap and it didn't explode or morph into something savage with teeth...

Followed instructions for making the lye mixture and it worked, only went a pale cream/yellow colour, and didn't smell rank. Mixed in nicely with the oils and went to trace like a dream. Now it's sitting in a pringles container, doing nothing, and that suits me just fine.

And for my next trick, clay soap!

Happy soaping, everyone

KiwiMoose likes this.
  11. Oct 15, 2019 #13,731

Mobjack Bay

Mobjack Bay

Mobjack Bay

Supporting Member

@KiwiMoose Oops! I think I have partial gel... I’m going to warm the oven and see if I can fix it using the method Deeanna shared on the Soapy Stuff website.

12. Oct 15, 2019 #13,732

linne1gi

linne1gi

linne1gi

Supporting Member

I made soap for my daughter-in-law. My son & daughter-in-law are having a celebration of their wedding.

Attached Files:

13. Oct 15, 2019 #13,733

Dawni

Dawni

Dawni

Very pretty @linne1gi

Does thinking about soaping count?

I doubt it lol but that's all I'm able to do nowadays.... Too busy running after a toddler and waiting on an elderly grandma :(

14. Oct 15, 2019 #13,734

sirtim100

sirtim100

sirtim100

On a run here in rainy Spain...

After the goat milk venture, a batch of clay soap, and then a big load of Castille with peppermint EO. Xmas is coming and the goose is getting fat ;)

Happy soaping, everyone

Kari Howie and Zany_in_CO like this.
  15. Oct 15, 2019 #13,735

runnerchicki

runnerchicki

runnerchicki

Supporting Member

In my book it does. :) I am thinking about salt soaps so that is my soapy thing today. I tested mine and love love love them - and they are only a month old. I want to make more but am probably not going to be able to do much soapy stuff besides thinking because I have to start getting ready to move in a few weeks.

These look really pretty!

SO - I couldn't get salt bars off my mind. I had *just* enough lye to make 1 lb batch. All I had was Kosher salt and it is a very fine flake, so hopefully the bars turn out ok. I am officially finished soaping for a month or so because I am out of lye and am not allowing myself to go buy more. I have got to start thinking about packing. At least my soaps will be cured enough to survive the move. I'm only moving 15 min away and I hand carry my essential oils, my soap, and my video games. Priorities .... :D

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    Kari Howie and Dawni like this.
  16. Oct 15, 2019 #13,736

Mobjack Bay

Mobjack Bay

Mobjack Bay

Supporting Member

I cut my 1st soy wax soap today! Given that I don’t usually work with batter at 115F, I was sooo worried about the loaf overheating and watched it pretty closely for about two hours last night. By this morning it had partially gelled and developed ash on top. o_O I managed to mostly correct the partial gel by putting the loaf into a warm oven for a couple of hours.

I left the base of the soap uncolored to give it an antiqued holiday look from the discoloring FO. Next time, I’m going to try a hanger swirl after I drop pour the colored batter.

DD49E92E-9165-4145-9127-88EB174AE1A3.jpeg

17. Oct 15, 2019 #13,737

Dawni

Dawni

Dawni

Ah then I've thought a lot about soap over the last couple of weeks lol

@KiwiMoose I'm looking forward to you're thick trace ITP, if you ever make it. I've tried that several times, always getting what looks like an abstract painting hehe, but never in a loaf.

@Mobjack Bay I used 40% soy wax 444, for no reason other than the comparison soap recipe had 40% lard. I was testing hardness n longevity. Hopefully my next post is an update on those.......... Yours soap is very pretty :)

KiwiMoose likes this.
  18. Oct 15, 2019 #13,738

Mobjack Bay

Mobjack Bay

Mobjack Bay

Supporting Member

Thanks! I’m going to try 30% the next time. I used lard as the proxy for the 415. It has a higher sap than soybean oil and I wanted to make sure I didn’t end up with zappy soap on this run. No zap with the SF at 5% and the SAP at .141 instead of .136ish! I look forward to reading about the 40% 444 results.

Dawni likes this.
  19. Oct 16, 2019 #13,739

Marilyn Norgart

Marilyn Norgart

Marilyn Norgart

Supporting Member

looks very xmasy, pretty!!!

Mobjack Bay likes this.
  20. Oct 16, 2019 #13,740

melinda48

melinda48

melinda48

Supporting Member

What soapy thing? A disaster apparently. I was trying for spearmint/peppermint soap and ended up with this! Crumbly bottom, soft top, gel-looking middle. Can anyone suggest what went awry? I used a recipe that I have used before without problems. Here are some photos. All/any comments welcome!

Attached Files:

Karmic and SoapySuds like this.