What soapy thing have you done today?

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

amd

Reaction score
A blistery winter day here, so I would dearly love to be home making soap (and stuff).

Last night I made two of the four planned sugar scrubs. Total lack of planning as I only had enough sugar for two batches. Tonight will be picking up more sugar to finish the scrubs, labeling said scrubs, and then packing for tomorrow's show. Maybe I'll make soap tonight if I don't dink around too much making scrubs like I did last night. Crossing my fingers that tomorrow's show will do well enough that I don't have to do any more shows until next Spring/Summer. I'll be happy enough if I move old stock so I can make all the new soap ideas dancing through my head.

TeresaGG

Reaction score
What is a sugar plum, anyway?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar_plum
Mainly is said it refers to many different things. A small round or oval candy usually a sugar coated seed, nut, or spice. An English desert of sugar and spice coated baked plums. Two plant species one of which is persimmons and the other has dark purple, edible, sweet fruits.

runnerchicki

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used up all of my master batched oils and lye today. I finally have a closing date and I am moving to my new house in a month. I didn't want to move oils and lye . So I made five batches of soap. All solid colors for simplicity. I used fragrances I'd never tried before. They ALL got really hot, and two have cracked which was a bit of a bummer but - I'm over it already. Also - I will never make so many batches in one day again. I now have a headache from smelling five different fragrances.:eek:

GML

Reaction score
Decided to get rid of some pureed pumpkin that was taking up space in the freezer by making hot process pumpkin oatmeal soap. The puree was from pumpkins I grew a few years ago and because the puree was quite watery I used it as the liquid to mix with thy lye. I'll see what it looks like when I unmold and cut in the morning.

Nanette

Reaction score
Do soaps with pumpkin puree, avocado puree, tomato and such last--as long as other soaps? Ive always wondered. I made cucumber puree soap and it was awful in about two months....so I am not a big adder of things like that out of fear.

GML

Reaction score
Great, and I made a cucumber mint loaf on Thursday.

Did you do cold or hot process?

Nanette

Reaction score
Great, and I made a cucumber mint loaf on Thursday.

Did you do cold or hot process?
Dont go by my experience! I did cp--and I used 100% puree of Persian cukes as the liquid. It didnt turn out in the long run as I had hoped but I am not experienced in using purees in soap. It is done all the time and folks rave about it so it must have some wonderful benefits but I didnt have much luck with mine. I also didnt like the yogurt soap I made and that is another fave that folks use all the time. Im sure yours will be fine!!

Mobjack Bay

Supporting Member
Reaction score
A blistery winter day here, so I would dearly love to be home making soap (and stuff)..
My SIL texted me some pics of the snow in SD. BRRRRR. I hope you’re staying warm!

Do soaps with pumpkin puree, avocado puree, tomato and such last--as long as other soaps? Ive always wondered. I made cucumber puree soap and it was awful in about two months....so I am not a big adder of things like that out of fear.
I have also been wondering the same ever since I made my carrot and cucumber soaps. I was going to share what I came up with here, but it’s too long, so I put it in a thread, here.

Last edited by a moderator:

cmzaha

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have some pumpkin puree soaps hanging around that are at least 4 years old that are just fine although the fragrance has faded. The same goes for some Avocado soaps and some carrot soaps. I am sure I can find others but these are some I can think of at the moment. If the puree is actual puree and not chunky it will act just like water.

DKing

Reaction score
Mine hasn't held well at all.
My batch is about 10 weeks old so far, so might be a little young yet for me to determine longevity. I have found that the scent seems to have gotten stronger over the cure process so far. I am hopeful it remains for a few months. It isn't overwhelmingly strong, but very pleasant.

Nanette

Reaction score
I have some pumpkin puree soaps hanging around that are at least 4 years old that are just fine although the fragrance has faded. The same goes for some Avocado soaps and some carrot soaps. I am sure I can find others but these are some I can think of at the moment. If the puree is actual puree and not chunky it will act just like water.
There is hope then, for us all!!! I had followed some recipes from "Cool Soapmaking" by Anne Watson and I didnt like what I had made..Im glad to hear that these are long lasting, the purees, or can be.

KiwiMoose

Reaction score
I just dunno what I want to do today. I have a lot of confetti to use up - thought about doing a coconut milk confetti soap with my new white tea fragrance. But then I made a bit of confetti out of the end pieces of my rainbow soap, and I think that would look pretty cool used sparingly in an all-white soap - maybe with my new blackcurrant tea FO? And then I have long wanted to do a soap with all MY favourite fragrances in together - patchouli, ylang ylang, bergamot, neroli, palmarosa.....
Oh, how to decide??

Mobjack Bay

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just dunno what I want to do today. I have a lot of confetti to use up - thought about doing a coconut milk confetti soap with my new white tea fragrance. But then I made a bit of confetti out of the end pieces of my rainbow soap, and I think that would look pretty cool used sparingly in an all-white soap - maybe with my new blackcurrant tea FO? And then I have long wanted to do a soap with all MY favourite fragrances in together - patchouli, ylang ylang, bergamot, neroli, palmarosa.....
Oh, how to decide??
They all sound great. Can’t wait to see what you make!

I spent the day making two more soaps for the challenge. They take a LOT of time. Soy wax is up next!

Latest posts