What soapy thing have you done today?

Discussion in 'Lye-Based Soap Forum' started by FlybyStardancer, Feb 12, 2014.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. Oct 8, 2019 #13,641

Marilyn Norgart

Marilyn Norgart

Marilyn Norgart

Supporting Member

thanks :) good luck with melting your shampoo bars--hope it works
    I have been wondering about the sulfate free part as the BTMS has sulfate right in the name--or is methosulfate a different thing?

2. Oct 8, 2019 #13,642

amd

amd

amd

Supporting Member

I believe it's a different thing. I'm going to move to PM so that we don't clog up this thread - plus I have some yogurt questions.... lol.

Hmm... well @Marilyn Norgart I tried to PM you but I get a message saying that I am not allowed to message you.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2019
    Marilyn Norgart likes this.
  3. Oct 8, 2019 #13,643

Marilyn Norgart

Marilyn Norgart

Marilyn Norgart

Supporting Member

wonder why--I will check with the admins
    I started a convo with you--I need to make sure I didn't uncheck something (I don't think I did) and I contacted the admins

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  4. Oct 9, 2019 #13,644

runnerchicki

runnerchicki

runnerchicki

Supporting Member

I think this is such a beautiful, elegant looking bar.
    I've got Baja Cactus Blossom in transit to me at the moment, and I'm really hoping it connects with me - I do love floral fragrances but anything that is too sweet gets on my nerves. I am not a fan of sweet, bakery type scents but my sister adores them so I make them so I kind of get where you're coming from when you don't really bond with a fragrance, but know that others will.

After work today I had planned to use up the last of my lye master batch and then pack up my soap supplies in preparatin for a move at the end of the month. :( I was hoping to get two or three small batches of soap made. But I'm too tired. My job is not physically draining - but mentally draining and it sucks my motivation to do anything productive after hours.

Nanette, Karmic and SoapySuds like this.
  5. Oct 9, 2019 #13,645

SoapySuds

SoapySuds

SoapySuds

The Suds Master Supporting Member

It is very possible that I am either an idiot, or stubborn.

Possibly both.

I returned to the tin of 17 year old olive oil and I said, “you are my challenge this October.

“You. Yes, you, and your nasty sly Italian coy smirk, taunting me, defying me with your brashness. Your long fingers beckoned me as I reached for the brand new olive oil on my counter, and you drew me in with your cheapness. Oh and you are cheap. Filthy dirty cheap. And you smell weirdly intriguing. Much like the nasty arm pit of a lover, familiar and rank all at once. At once, I am both repelled and seduced by your stank. I hate you, and yet I can’t separate myself from you. Sitting on my shelf, I feel compelled to turn you into something of use, something that is beautiful and wonderful. Just mingling in the soft warm liquid glow with some scented oils.

“Oh, the first time around was exciting! But then, like a 17 car crash on an overcrowded highway, everything happened so fast and all at once. I thought this was to be a thing of beauty, but no, it became a prison sandwich. Grotesque and contorted. The image is burned into my brain and the aftermath still darkens my drying rack.”

Disheartened and forlorn, I retreated to my normal life, but the images continued to haunt me.

This evening, I entered the dwelling of the alluring tin and stated, “I have plotted my revenge. Sought out how to conquer you and tame the terrible beast that you are. I will douse your rage with an excess of love and grace, and temper your temper with patience!”

Oh, the wild animal tried to separate from my grasp many a time, but I persisted. After many a minutes, I thought that perhaps I had been overzealous with the amount of grace poured, but as I began to lose heart, things pulled together. The cold and wild beast became tame, and wielded to my cultured ways.

Will things gel between us, or will the river of tenderness flow out, never to return.

I shall give it time, perhaps a day, maybe two, to see what the future holds.

*short version*

I think I got the rancid olive oil to not seize and not weirdly separate. I may have a mini drop loaf!!! Dude. With rancid oil! 0% sf, oo at 80% and co at 17% and sw at 3%.

Like I said, I may either be an idiot or stubborn, possibly both.

Mobjack Bay, linne1gi, amd and 6 others like this.
  6. Oct 9, 2019 #13,646

Misschief

Misschief

Misschief

Supporting Member

If nothing else, you're a terrific writer!

Nanette, Mooicle, KiwiMoose and 3 others like this.
  7. Oct 9, 2019 #13,647

Dawni

Dawni

Dawni

I agree. Like any good novel I saw all those images in my head hehehe

Show us the soap after it's cut @SoapySuds. Also, I'd like to know more about it.

DKing, Nanette, Mooicle and 2 others like this.
  8. Oct 9, 2019 #13,648

DKing

DKing

DKing

That story made my night! :)

Nanette, Mooicle, Dawni and 3 others like this.
  9. Oct 9, 2019 #13,649

Karmic

Karmic

Karmic

#But Suds Persisted

I totally get this. My job is the same. I've had the past two days off from work and it feels like all I've gotten done in that time is sleep and try to recover from my work weekend. Then tonight it's back to the same again. At least I have the weekend off.

Today turned out to be a bust for me. What was supposed to be a pleasant day of errands/shopping with my mother just turned into one long slog. I did get to do some more research/recipe pondering during my 3 hour-long wait in the doctors office. I'm going to have some extra money next month and I've been debating if I should use it upgrade my scale or splurge a bit an try to mix things up and try some new things like milk soap or coffee butter. I also keep seeing people talking about salt bars and castile and I'm intrigued. Castile bars always seem to look so pretty to me, but I have no idea where I'd be able to store them to cure for a year.

runnerchicki and SoapySuds like this.
  10. Oct 9, 2019 #13,650

linne1gi

linne1gi

linne1gi

Supporting Member

That’s so cool that you make your own yogurt! How did you get started in that? I ask because yogurt is one of my favorite foods!

I’ve made Marie’s Mango shampoo bar 3 times so far. I love it and so does my friend tester. I want to try the Rhassoul clay bar later today.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2019
  11. Oct 9, 2019 #13,651

Mooicle

Mooicle

Mooicle

OH..MY...GOSH! Your story drew me in like you wouldn't believe!
    It actually surprised me how I couldn't put it down! Like my favorite book!!
    VERY intriguing and enjoyable writing on your part...BRAVO!:winner:

KiwiMoose, Dawni and SoapySuds like this.
  12. Oct 9, 2019 #13,652

Carol Ann

Carol Ann

Carol Ann

Yes. I used the NS really red in an ITPS - 1/4 t. in 10 0z. of batter and got a very deep red color.

runnerchicki likes this.
  13. Oct 9, 2019 #13,653

amd

amd

amd

Supporting Member

If it was rancid, I would have gone with a negative superfat - It's getting a good long cure anyways. I did a soap for my son using bacon grease (his request strange child that he is) and even though I cleaned it, I was concerned about rancidity, so I intentionally made it with -20% superfat. That's not a typo, Negative Twenty Percent. I left it on for a very long cure, I think 6-8 months, periodically checking the tongue zap. It did eventually stop zapping, and then I left it for another month just to be safe. (I did use half a bar personally before I gave the rest to my son. I might be the meanest mom on the block but I'm not THAT mean.) It was wonderful soap. For your OO soap I probably wouldn't have gone as extreme as -20, but maybe -5% just to cover the averages in the soap calcs and really make sure there was no oil left in that beast. Not the usual advice given to new soapmakers, but I think it's worth mentioning for this type of project. Wonderful writing, I think you nailed the armpit of a lover perfectly, it made my morning.

Kind of an odd story, but ties into All Things Soap. My kids and I all had skin issues (dry skin and severe cystic acne for me, eczema for the kiddos) so the first thing I looked at was our diet. I took out a lot of the processed foods out of our diet (I still can't get my kids to stop eating poptarts though!) and started making anything that I could find. Yogurt was a staple in our diet, so I went about figuring out how to make that. About five (?? maybe longer) years ago I removed most dairy products from our diet so that was when I stopped making yogurt. I probably could have figured out how to make coconut milk or almond milk yogurt, but at that time I was busy going down the soap rabbit hole, so I didn't. Anyways, in March or so I made a lovely yogurt and honey soap that customers are coming back wanting more of, so I thought I would get back into yogurt making to get the most "handmade" bang for the buck.

Soapy things accomplished yesterday:
    Finished shrink wrapping soap.
    Printed off the labels for the new soaps, but still need to print off labels for some soaps that I'm relabeling.
    Burned my arm on the heat gun.
    Put one label on a soap bar so that I could give it to one of the guys at brew club. He loves my Nag Champa soap and I had an overpour that I put into a cavity mold so I thought he would enjoy a free soap. Turned out to be a good move on my part as he passed it around to everyone and I got 4 orders for the Nag Champa and/or other soaps. Also it just tickled me silly that he kept picking up the bar during the night to smell it, and watching his eyes would roll back in his head in ecstasy. I'm easily amused after a few beers.

Today I'm hoping I can leave work early again so that I have time to label soaps and put them away before I go to my other job. Also hoping I get off work early there too so I can come home and mess with my shampoo bar mold.

linne1gi, SoapySuds and Nanette like this.
  14. Oct 9, 2019 #13,654

SoapySuds

SoapySuds

SoapySuds

That exact thought went through my head as I was cleaning up last night.

Plus, my previous Castile bars were about -20% sf and are lovely.

Eh, I didn’t buy the oil, it was free and it’s not a large loaf. If nothing else, I can grate it up and toss it into the laundry.

amd and linne1gi like this.
  15. Oct 9, 2019 #13,655

Elysa Alvarez Francisco

Elysa Alvarez Francisco

Elysa Alvarez Francisco

I cut my second-ever loaf of soap! Big improvement over the first, which I left in the mold too long so it was hard to cut and was full of bubbles from over mixing. This one came out perfectly smooth and cut like buttah! :dance:

runnerchicki, GML, Nanette and 2 others like this.
  16. Oct 9, 2019 #13,656

SoapySuds

SoapySuds

SoapySuds

Let’s add impatient to my list of traits.

The aforementioned soap

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Glycerin rivers, holes from air being over mixed, But I only poured off less than an ounce of liquid.

It cut like velveeta

Edit:

Honestly, I'd be embarrassed to show this 'thing,' but from where we started earlier in the week, I think this is a "win" for rancid OO. It's not a pretty win, but it's a far cry from earlier.

The soap that seized was at a 4:1 water to lye ratio. This is much much much more water. I expect them to shrink like those bloated dinosaurs that grow when you soak them in water, and then shrink when you leave them out, and then grow mold on them, and then they never really look as impressive the second time around soaking up water and smell really gross. Yeah, I expect that from this soap.

**Edit:

~Cue edgy and slightly sleazy dance hall music~

Darling boys and girls, you'll love the pear-fect scent of this soap! It's bubbly, refreshing and will have you forgetting what a mimosa is! It's Champagne Pear from Nature's Garden.
    This effervescent scented soap features a combination of natural pigments, flashy micas and dyes.
    Call a cab, because Taxi Yellow from Mad Micas gives the lower portion a lift.
    Cloudy skies won't dampen the burn of activated charcoal in a smoky grey background color.
    Spin this, you health freaks! As Spirulina grabs all the attention with those dots of green!
    And you'll be singing Sia all night long as water soluble Titanium Dioxide floats amongst the clouds!

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    runnerchicki, GML, MaryAlice and 5 others like this.
  17. Oct 9, 2019 #13,657

Marilyn Norgart

Marilyn Norgart

Marilyn Norgart

Supporting Member

just tried my hand at felting a soap--not too sure about it but the soap if so fugly that anything will help

runnerchicki and SoapySuds like this.
  18. Oct 9, 2019 #13,658

SoapySuds

SoapySuds

SoapySuds

Pictures, or I will believe your soap is the most beautiful thing to ever exist.

19. Oct 9, 2019 #13,659

Marilyn Norgart

Marilyn Norgart

Marilyn Norgart

Supporting Member

I will post when they dry

SoapySuds likes this.
  20. Oct 9, 2019 #13,660

SoapySuds

SoapySuds

SoapySuds

Seriously, I should be working and not playing around with soap.