What soapy thing have you done today?

Discussion in 'Lye-Based Soap Forum' started by FlybyStardancer, Feb 12, 2014.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. Oct 6, 2019 #13,581

Mobjack Bay

Mobjack Bay

Mobjack Bay

Supporting Member

Impressive save! There’s a recent thread, I think, about greens morphing and then morphing back after a few days. Hopefully you will get the perfect green!

2. Oct 6, 2019 #13,582

runnerchicki

runnerchicki

runnerchicki

Supporting Member

You don't *have* to ever sell your soaps. I don't, and I don't plan to. I've been there, done that (not soap - haircare products - completely created and manufactured by me). It took the joy out of it .. for me. It's a very individual thing. You have to be willing to take on the business aspect of it. It isn't just going to be making soap.

I would suggest checking out the business forum section for more information/advice if you decide that is a direction you want to go in.

Liesel Atwood, linne1gi and Michele50 like this.
  3. Oct 6, 2019 #13,583

KiwiMoose

KiwiMoose

KiwiMoose

I made the same soap as @Baqn today, but alas - the hole in my spray bottle was too small for the mica, so i had to sprinkle it one which doesn't look anywhere near as good.
    My final choice of essential oils was as follows ( in descending order): Patchouli, cedarwood, bergamot, palmarosa, litsea cubeba, vetiver.
    IMG_1458.JPG IMG_1460.JPG

4. Oct 6, 2019 #13,584

Michele50

Michele50

Michele50

Supporting Member

I ABSOLUTELY agree with it taking the joy out of creating. My chemical engineering son has tried to get me to sell (large scale) my beard products that I make him and my other engineering son. No thank you; I developed them for my sons' and husband's beards. I ran a large business (worked my butt off) for decades and don't care to get that involved in my retirement years. There is a lot of work that goes into marketing your products; it's for some but not for others. Checking the business forum section is good advice; it's best to get pointers, information, and advice from those already doing it.

5. Oct 6, 2019 #13,585

Mobjack Bay

Mobjack Bay

Mobjack Bay

Supporting Member

Today is the first day in a long time that I don’t feel like making soap. I worked up a design to try for the October Challenge, but I think I want to see how the little test batch I made yesterday turns out before I move forward. Plus, yesterday I made a big mess when I spilled oils, my soaping microwave died and then when I finally decided to wind down, the Apple TV box died, too. :(

6. Oct 6, 2019 #13,586

runnerchicki

runnerchicki

runnerchicki

Supporting Member

:( Such a bummer of a day - I'm sorry so much went wrong all at once. Hopefully, things will be better after a day off. Hang in there!

Liesel Atwood, DKing, Nanette and 2 others like this.
  7. Oct 6, 2019 #13,587

Michele50

Michele50

Michele50

Supporting Member

:( So sorry to hear that. Hopefully you can find an inexpensive (maybe used one) and be back on track quickly.

Liesel Atwood and Mobjack Bay like this.
  8. Oct 6, 2019 #13,588

SoapSisters

SoapSisters

SoapSisters

Supporting Member

Liesel Atwood and linne1gi like this.
  9. Oct 6, 2019 #13,589

linne1gi

linne1gi

linne1gi

Supporting Member

Liesel Atwood likes this.
  10. Oct 6, 2019 #13,590

Fiona Robertson

Fiona Robertson

Fiona Robertson

Soy and Soya are the same thing and you can see they use both terms on the back of the packaging. If you can't find the wax that KiwiMoose uses (i'm sure she'll be along soon) then the European version is Nature Wax C3 which you may have more luck sourcing. It's still usually described as wax for candles but has been certified for cosmetic use too:thumbs:

Liesel Atwood and linne1gi like this.
  11. Oct 6, 2019 #13,591

linne1gi

linne1gi

linne1gi

Supporting Member

Hm, Well I don't buy wax from this particular site (It's in Europe, and I live in the US), but it pretty specifically says it's for candles - even describes the procedure for melting for candles. But if you say it's also for soap, then give it a try.

12. Oct 6, 2019 #13,592

Michele50

Michele50

Michele50

Supporting Member

Just as an FYI if anyone is interested, there is a discussion regarding using soy wax in HP and that it's difficult, understandably, in CP soap use. 20% is the amount (I believe) someone stated they use. Here's the thread (that is if I'm able to do this correctly):https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/soy-wax-soap.69769/

I haven't made any soap with egg yolks yet, it's on my long to-do list. For cold process with the inclusion of egg yolk I've read that one needs to temper the egg but adding a little of the batter once it's reached (can't remember which) either emulsion or light trace. Once the small amount of batter is blended into the egg then that mix is added and blended into the main bowl of soap batter. I'm not sure how it'd be done for HP. CORRECTION: @GML stated that the egg is tempered with warm oil AND THAT IS CORRECT. I was over a year ago when I looked into eggs in CP soap; sorry....I stand corrected ;). GML mentions a Youtube video, maybe she'll post a link. I looked but just found this one from Shalebrook Handcrafted Soap: This one, however, she prepared her tempered egg yolks with her warm oil.

Shelf life, hmmmmm. I suppose that'd depend upon many factors: the amount of SF, % of soft oils, how high is the % of Linolenic fatty acid is in the recipe, etc. I think you're asking if the egg would cut down on the shelflife, yes?? Maybe someone with more 'scientific knowledge' will correct my error if I'm wrong but, I'd "assume" that the egg would be like using fruit juice or pureed pumpkin in your soap--it becomes part of your soap and won't spoil like juice or pumpkin puree would if it was left on a countertop.

Also, if I remember correctly from back when I was looking into how to incorporate egg yolk into my soap, the purpose is to create rich, thick lather.....much like dairy products do in soap.

Edited my 'SP' that should have been SF

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    Liesel Atwood, SoapySuds and linne1gi like this.
  13. Oct 6, 2019 #13,593

Fiona Robertson

Fiona Robertson

Fiona Robertson

Sorry to cause a misunderstanding...I was giving SoapSisters another option for soy wax that may be more readily available to her in Israel and that is definitely OK to use for soap. I wasn't referring to the one she linked to.

14. Oct 6, 2019 #13,594

Michele50

Michele50

Michele50

Supporting Member

I WANT TO TAKE A BIG BITE OUT OF THE TOP of the one that looks like whip topping!!!!!!! Just as @Dawni, I simmered my beer to remove alcohol and carbonation. With my CP I only used Guinness Stout Beer, no egg or honey. I froze my beer in ice cube trays after it cooled. I made it over two years ago so a bit fuzzy if I had any issues but I don't remember any.

With my HP shampoo bars, I used the same stout beer and raw honey. Since I (with this one also) used beer for 100% of the required water it was all used to dissolve my lye. This one was also made about 1.5 years ago or so but no issues with the HP. No volcanoes but I did just as Dawni, I added my raw honey mixed into very warm water at the end of the cook.

Please update on how the lather is once cured; I'm very interested in how the egg improves the lather vs those not containing any. I know I like GM and BM soap for what they bring to the lathering table, I'm looking forward to hearing and seeing updates--cut bars.

Liesel Atwood and KiwiMoose like this.
  15. Oct 6, 2019 #13,595

linne1gi

linne1gi

linne1gi

Supporting Member

Hm, I agree, although I haven't soaped with an egg yet - I have used various purees, both fresh and canned (baby food puree) and my soaps have not spoiled or gotten DOS and some of them are a few years old. So I think the lye takes care of that, lol.

16. Oct 6, 2019 #13,596

Baqn

Baqn

Baqn

It went great. I am curious to see the cutted soap. I had problems with spraying it too but I found a heroic sprayer that served me well :)
    Now I made coffee scrub soap. I scented it with COFFEE FO which almost instantly freezed my batter. It was true disaster. Anyway I managed to put in the mold. Lets see what will go out.

17. Oct 6, 2019 #13,597

GML

GML

GML

Yesterday, I watched youtube HP video from Shalebrook Handcrafted Soap and the egg is tempered with 1 cup of the hot oil (a stick blender was used to emulsify the egg and oil), after it was then combined with the rest of the oils before the lye liquid was added.

18. Oct 6, 2019 #13,598

Michele50

Michele50

Michele50

Supporting Member

Thanks for chiming in linne1gi!

Me too, some of mine with purees are 3 years old and still as good (just harder bars) than they were when they were infants. I've made a facial bar with tomato paste for myself, lol, and it had a little activated charcoal for color. Yes, the lye makes real soap more alkaline than fake, commercial 'soap.' I think the pH level isn't prone to breading bacteria......same reason why we don't need a preservative in our soap. I realize some use ROE, but that's to help prevent rancidity.

I really need to make some with eggs!! I have too long of a list.

You ARE correct! I'll edit my comment. It's been quite some time ago that I did research on it and got that step wrong. Thanks for the correction ;) I should have Googled it beforehand.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2019
  19. Oct 6, 2019 #13,599

GML

GML

GML

I thought she was adding mayo to the soap base...lol

20. Oct 7, 2019 #13,600

Michele50

Michele50

Michele50

Supporting Member

Nope, egg yolks. Did you see someone adding mayo?? You got my curiosity up. Hey do ya have a link for that video with tempering egg yolks. I only found one of hers and it was shampoo bars and she had tempered her eggs b/4 turning her camera on.

If you want some written instructions for tempering egg yolks as well as watching videos, here's one from the Soap Queen site: https://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-body-tutorials/eggnog-cold-process-soap-diy/ The soap has 3 egg yolks added.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2019