What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My new batch Roses & Thorns. I think I am getting better :) after couple of attempts. Second photo is the photo of previous batch and the package.

Attachments

• IMG_20190929_221525[1].jpg
    IMG_20190929_221525[1].jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 47
  • RT_BOX.jpg
    RT_BOX.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 46
My new batch Roses & Thorns. I think I am getting better :) after couple of attempts. Second photo is the photo of previous batch and the package.
I am really loving this one! Very beautiful!

View attachment 41798 Yesterday afternoon I made a quick batch of my Pachouly soap. By the morning, it was still warm but hard as a rock, so I cut it.

It sells so well here in Central México where people have no preconceived notions about it reminding them of the 60's like people do in the States. Men love this soap and women love men who love it!

I said I was swirl challenged, but you people have inspired me, so I tried adding extra Black Walnut powder to about 1/3 of the soap at trace, then alternated pouring it and stirring a little. I think it worked fine and there is Powdered Vanill Bean to add flecks. All my soap has to have flecks!

This type of soap really appeals to me. It looks like you used all natural products and put them together so tastefully! Love it!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm contemplating a full black soap. But then I'm thinking - what fragrance will I use?? I want something that smells 'appropriate' for a black soap, but i don't like tea tree/ eucalyptus type smells. I've done anise, I've done black currant absinthe, and i want something different. Any ideas? The winning idea will be in my soap pot tomorrow :)

I'm contemplating a full black soap. But then I'm thinking - what fragrance will I use?? I want something that smells 'appropriate' for a black soap, but i don't like tea tree/ eucalyptus type smells. I've done anise, I've done black currant absinthe, and i want something different. Any ideas? The winning idea will be in my soap pot tomorrow :)
Cedarwood, lavender and patchouli with spearmint? I've done it with and without black pepper. Try a few drops at a time til you get something you like.
View attachment 41798
Men love this soap and women love men who love it!
This! Haha love it. It's the same where I'm from, most who have never gone elsewhere don't connect it to the 60s...

Last edited:
Patchouli is one of my favorite “dark” scents. I used it recently in a soap I made while the last hurricane was on its way. I always start with EOCalc, here, if I am looking for blending ideas.

View attachment 41798 Yesterday afternoon I made a quick batch of my Pachouly soap. By the morning, it was still warm but hard as a rock, so I cut it.

It sells so well here in Central México where people have no preconceived notions about it reminding them of the 60's like people do in the States. Men love this soap and women love men who love it!

I said I was swirl challenged, but you people have inspired me, so I tried adding extra Black Walnut powder to about 1/3 of the soap at trace, then alternated pouring it and stirring a little. I think it worked fine and there is Powdered Vanill Bean to add flecks. All my soap has to have flecks!
My kind of soap, too!

Oooooo what about a warm spicy tobacco pipe, vanilla, clove, leather.....hint o whiskey

Licorice?

Or something soft and musky, like a violet and musk or amber?

There was a scent years ago from BBW called moonlit path. It was soft and dark, floral and lightly musky, it would be nice as a black bar. I think it had vanilla in it.

little black dress

Had a show on Saturday that I have not unpacked from - I have shows the next two Saturdays so I'm thinking I won't unpack until I'm done.

This week my plans are:
Make the base for more sugar scrubs. They seem to be selling well, so I'd like to get a few more scents made.
I have all the ingredients for making a creamy (surfactant based) body wash and got bottles in last week, so I'm going to do a test batch of that. It has honey in the recipe so I'm a bit skeptical of the preservative system, so I'm thinking I will split the batch to see how the two compare and how they age.
Vegan soaps are done curing so I will be testing those for lather, making notes and putting the bars into dodgy storage conditions to test the formula stability.
Making the before mentioned sugar scrubs.
I would like to make soaps this week, so I'm thinking I will do Fudge Brownie and Hemlock Forest.
Also need to reorganize the soap dungeon to fit the mini fridge in, hubby is complaining about it taking up space in the laundry room. This might involve a serious destash of some things that just aren't being used.

My latest dark brown and black soap is Pink Sugar, because that's how badly it discolours. My next one will be Tabac & Leather or Cocoa Butter Cashmere because that's how badly it discolours. If you are *consensually* colouring a soap dark and don't have those discolouring FOs, then I'd definitely vote for more anise, since I luuurve it. Not everyone does, so you could do anise + lavender or anise + lemon to soften it. Or patchouli. Or all those other things ppl said. PS: Dragon's Blood was *supposed* to discolour "almost to black", the reviewers said, so instead of a very dramatic black and pink soap I have a pink and tan one....can't trust the FOs!!

OMG! Yes! Typo! I meant black pepper lol
Waah! I want to see the original! @Dawni edited!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back