What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only soapy thing I did today was give my batch of cream soap a whip. It has to rot another week minimum

Cut my drop swirl done with my FAVORITE scent...lingonberry spice (BB)

I'm happy now.View attachment 41085
Lovely soap but ohhh I love Lingonberries. On Rice Pudding if at all possible

Last edited by a moderator:
I ordered some oils but I want to play around with OO Vs Pommace. I want to know if I can tell the difference with the two.
Can you post what you find out?

Lovely soap but ohhh I love Lingonberries. On Rice Pudding if at all possible
I have never tried them...but that scent is SO amazing!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been sick for a week, but finally managed to make my custom orders last night. One batch of shampoo bars and a batch of sugar scrub. I also ordered SCI and SCS noodles to try making pressed shampoo bars and start testing out a few recipes. I have a friend who has a 3D printer so she is going to print me a 3 pc mold for them if I get a recipe I like. For testing I will be using a pvc end cap, plug and my husband's arbor press, lol.

Hoping I am feeling up to doing some soap things over the weekend. It's supposed to be relatively cool weather, so the dungeon should be good working temps for me. At the very least maybe I could get my dishes done...

I would like to do:
MB lye (without silk for vegan soap experiments)
Test batch 1 of vegan soap experiments: sub palm in place of tallow in my regular recipe
Test batch 2: sub Dixiedragon's* lard replacement in place of tallow in my regular recipe
Test batch 3: sub IL's* palm replacement in the lard replacement in place of tallow in my regular recipe
*I'm not sure I have these ladies credited with the correct recipes, I'm working off memory today and not on all cylinders. My apologies if I have anyone confused.*
What I would like is to have a vegan recipe that is similar to my current recipe, and performs the same. I have some customers that don't care if the soap is vegan or not, so I would like to have the soap perform the same for them regardless. So I'm going to do a couple of small test batches to use up some sample FO's that I have, and then I'll compare them after a regular cure, at 6 months, and hopefully again at 9 months. I'll also put them through my usual "questionable storage" conditions to see if they develop DOS or not.

Other randomness that needs to be done:
I would like to get a batch of donut bubble bars done, as well as a batch of pineapple ones. I have a show the end of September, so curious to see if novelty shaped bubble bars will sell better than my scoops. I also need to organize my thoughts a bit on creating gift baskets with existing stock (or using existing stock and making one or two items to round it out).

Oh, and I need to make a batch of cupcakes for my Dec club, and restock Nag Champa.

Glad you're feeling better @amd
This is really intriguing! How long do you soak the rice? Is there a certain kind of rice you use?
I soak for about an hour... I want to try when it's soaked for much longer if it makes any difference but I keep forgetting, and we need to cook n eat the rice lol

I use what I have on hand. I don't know which kind we usually have but it's plain white, short and semi-fat grains lol. I've used purple rice once but didn't notice any difference in hardness, lather nor color.

No soapy thing done today other than inspect the curing soaps.

And oh, ordered more EOs and more castor and sweet almond oils. Those are the only two I don't get in the supermarket.

I made my first goat's milk soap today. I did not scent or colour it just to see and smell it in its natural state. It behaved well. I poured it into individual rectangular molds.

Nephew has a hobby farm with a few goats. I see more goat's milk soap in my future!
His dad is a hobby bee keeper - I see beeswax and honey soaps in my future too...

Today I am going to bang out 8 Batches, hopefully this morning so I can unmold tomorrow and bang out another 8 batches.
I have 3 Big shows. Labor Day weekend 4 day show (soaps all packed up to go), Another the end of this month (new show for me and I am told it is a BIG 1 day show-pray it is great weather), and last is Apple Fest at the end of Oct (this is what I am banging out extra for in case I run out of the big sellers at the other 2 shows - you know all the Apple scents)

Then maybe get Healing Salve made, got Herbs wilting now

I'll be making two batches of soap today... Java Jumpstart (a coffee and spice soap) and Beer Soap, the beginning of the making for my fall and winter markets. My usual market won't be back up and running until the end of September because the roads will be closed. They're installing a new (much needed) water system in that area of town.

I cut my hombre green peppermint soap from yesterday. It was a little thicker than I would have liked for the pour so my layers are pretty obvious, but I still like it. It did get a partial gel on about half of the bars. They are just for my own use though so not a big deal. My house smells nice and pepperminty today.

Attachments

• gradientgreen.jpg
    gradientgreen.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 51
I cut my hombre green peppermint soap from yesterday. It was a little thicker than I would have liked for the pour so my layers are pretty obvious, but I still like it. It did get a partial gel on about half of the bars. They are just for my own use though so not a big deal. My house smells nice and pepperminty today.

very pretty :)

Back