What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks; but I think I'll be OK. I add the lye to the water in the sink and then set the container on the S.S. cover on my range top until ready to add to the SB. My working area has at least 4 layers of newspaper, covered with two more layers of kitchen paper towels. So far, so good.
June

No, I mean I (as in me) worry about it. We have fairly new granite counters and I'm paranoid about ruining it.

Made another bubble bar batch and had a cat-tail-stepping-on-incident while rolling it and mushed the colors so my spiral swirl came out wonky. I'm contemplating just squishing it together to go for marble effect. A hot pink and electric blue marble effect. Right now it looks like a Dr. Seuss egg...

Today I cut the Black Raspberry Vanilla that I made yesterday. I did my first hanger swirl and I love the way they turned out.

Also right now I have a batch in my crockpot that is going to scented with Monkey Farts swirled with yellow, orange and green.

Mmm... I LOVE my black raspberry vanilla soap.

Today I cut the Black Raspberry Vanilla that I made yesterday. I did my first hanger swirl and I love the way they turned out.

Also right now I have a batch in my crockpot that is going to scented with Monkey Farts swirled with yellow, orange and green.

Today I'm off to get coconut oil because I feel like soaping. Made some shampoo bars the other day, we were getting low so I'm replenishing.

Don't know what kind of soap I'll make today, we'll see once I see what I have for oils.

----

ETA: I made three batches of soap today:

Spearmint & Eucalyptus (and did what I thought might turn out to be a butterfly swirl - though I didn't do it the way that it's traditionally done (with two bars, mirror image of each other, beside each other to make the butterfly. I tried to butterfly right in each bar... so we'll see how THAT turns out! If nothing else, I just hope it looks nice.) But now I kick myself, I should have used some alkanet root to throw some purple in there....

Cedarwood, Fir Needle & Juniper - because this is one of my favourite combinations, and I haven't made it in a while. Super fine ground oatmeal, and french green clay to colour it.

And lastly.... I soaped with "Oak Barrel Cider" from NDA today and it smells SUPER appley (which is actually quite nice. I like it a lot better in the soap, than OOB). At first I wasn't going to use it, because I have a FO that I love for appley soaps - but I think this one replaces that... only downside is absolutely no time for swirling - so it's layered. Oh well. We'll see how it looks when it's cut.

Last edited:
I am chomping at the bit for my Columbus oil delivery to come today. Want to try insane 20color swirly bar (acid swirl?) I've seen and it in a salt bar which seems crazy. Contemplating how much coffee I'm going to need to pull this off.

Unmolded today

Today was a day for Christmas shopping with a couple of friends for some disadvantaged kids in our town, so the only soaping thing I did today was un-mold my first feathered mantra swirl. I did an end cut but it's too soft yet, so that will have to wait another day or so.

June

I have been wrapping soaps all week and gave some to all my co-workers today. Also placed an order for some new colors and a few scents from WSP. Need to watch more soap making videos to decide what I want to do for the swap now!

I'm now halfway done with Christmas goodies: put up Emulsified Sugar Scrubs, Lip Balms, and Lippy Scrubs. On recommendation of the fine folks here, I tried out blending BB Champagne and BB Anjou Pear FO in the sugar scrub... LOVE IT! I really like those scents separately, but wowza do they smell good combined!

I'm not super happy with my lip balm flavor though... Horchatta from NG. It seems really weak at 2%.

My lippy scrub used BB Cucumber & Melon flavor. It's very fresh and different without being overpowering.

I still need to make some body butters, more bath bombs, and more sugar scrubs... I really want to try out the candy cane scrub but realized that my daughter brought home bizarre candy cane flavors (bacon, siracha and pickle). I'm just glad I noticed before I accidentally ate one off the tree. Ewww.

Last edited:
Yesterday I delivered my biggest yet wholesale order: $171! I have one more to wrap and label and deliver this weekend. Then I can get back to the fun part: MAKING soap!

But I have a task ahead of me, too. BB discontinued their Hollyberry scent. Can't understand that, as everyone loves it! So I'll be off looking for something similar. I could have sold double that one if I'd had the f.o. What is that helpful site? fragrance finder or something like that?

Supervised my son making a soap totally of his own recipe, with his own EO blend, from his own imagination. He did need a lesson in the importance of mise en place, but he learned quickly when he added the wrong oil and had to do it over. I stayed out of it. I am hoping he likes making soap enough I will have someone to make me soap when I am too old to hold the stickblender.

I made labels and shrink wrapped soaps for Christmas sales and sold soap at the studio as well as at the local farm stand. I just love my new labels, makes it fun, instead of a chore. World's worst photographer, but here they are

20141217_132854.jpg

Reinbeau, your labels are lovely!

No soap for me today...but I did 25 handmade cards for my dh's coworkers. (paper crafting is my other hobby)

I made a tiny batch tonight. 65% lard, 15% OO, 15%CO and 5% castor with carrot, coconut milk, honey , with almond FO. This is the largest % of lard I have ever used in a batch and also the tiniest batch I have ever made.
I just felt like playing.

Back