What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One for a geezer pal

I love this--I might just call one or more of my friends this haha

just made some more horse soaps in shimmery gold and it looks like the gold is going to stay shimmery--my fingers are crossed. they wont be gelled so hopefully that will help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rice milk is starchy so I'm hoping it plays nice. I also hope it makes a nice soap because it was kind of a pain to make!
You will LUV it! It's been years since a soaping buddy and I ran through all the different "starchy" waters (potato, pasta, rice) to use in soaping and rice water came out on top. I just happened to be thinking about making some today. Ah, fond memories.

You will LUV it! It's been years since a soaping buddy and I ran through all the different "starchy" waters (potato, pasta, rice) to use in soaping and rice water came out on top. I just happened to be thinking about making some today. Ah, fond memories.
I never even considered pasta or potato water! I am very excited to try the rice now after your comments. I'm planning a simple creamy colored soap.

I love rice water in soap!

I unmolded some of the salt bars I made yesterday....
And here is a nice pic, if I do say so myself hehehe. I posted a soft, wet n sweaty soap pic yesterday lol but they've hardened up quite nicely now.
I never even considered pasta or potato water! I am very excited to try the rice now after your comments. I'm planning a simple creamy colored soap.
I use rice or potato water on my face, depending on what's available in the kitchen hehe.. I just take a small amount, put it in the fridge and use as a toner before bedtime. My loaded rice soap is here, if you're curious :)

I use rice or potato water on my face, depending on what's available in the kitchen hehe.. I just take a small amount, put it in the fridge and use as a toner before bedtime. My loaded rice soap is here, if you're curious :)

Thank you for sharing the link and the recipe! It looks great! And the salt bars are so pretty - I have got to get some salt and give them a try. I think it would be good for my skin.

For the first time, I'm going to use lard in a soap recipe. I want to see what all the fuss is about :D.

Edit: I unmolded my soap this evening. I used turmeric to practice an in the pot swirl. After I added the fragrance and turmeric things moved pretty quickly. It was thick when I poured it in the mold and the soap in the mold got hot. I guess it gelled (not sure).

All my plain soaps never had such excitement. The swirl was okay. Next time I'll evenly divide the batter.

Last edited:
My soapy activities were all prep work for the weekend. I made some rice milk and am going to try using it for some of the water in my next soap batch. Kind of skeered - the only milk I've used so far is coconut milk. Rice milk is starchy so I'm hoping it plays nice. I also hope it makes a nice soap because it was kind of a pain to make! I also made some heart embeds and am going to attempt to make curls of soap for a melt and pour project although I haven't quite figured out the design yet. I'm starting to plan for Christmas presents. This way I allow myself time for any goofs and re-do's lol.

I have been dying to ask someone about using milk (any kind...even goat) in soap. I have not ventured past the typical oils in my soaps but the milks are calling to me! So question is this...is there any concern about spoilage in milk soaps. Do they typically last (ie shelf life) as long as a water soap? Etc etc..

Anxious to see how your soaps turn out!!
:D

For the first time, I'm going to use lard in a soap recipe. I want to see what all the fuss is about :D.

I use lard in every batch. it seems to improve the texture and creaminess. I also use it in my laundry soap (Which I am currently making on my lunch break) as a conditioning agent since the other ingredient is coconut oil.

No soapy stuff today. Granddaughter is 17, Zany, soon to be 18.

Our last flight was delayed several hours last night, so we spent a lot of time in airports yesterday, with about 7 or so in SeaTac. And now we are temporarily in a unit from which we will be moved today because this one isn't at all what I want to spend 9 days in. No bathtub, ants in the kitchen. Lovely lanai, though, but I suspect they all have lovely lanais. Anyway, after checking in, Hubby went immediately to sleep, while granddaughter & I found a Denny's and had breakfast (it was about 5 am our time after-all), then a limited shopping trip to Safeway because I didn't want to have to transfer food from one refrigerator to the next right away.

My tentative plans for bringing an intaglio soap to work on carving while here just never happened. So all I will be doing along soapy stuff lines is to test soap and look at soap when I run across any in our travels. Although if I were still on the mainland, I'd probably find a way to make soap since we are here for so long, I doubt I will make any such attempt here on the islands.

Feels like temp outside of 105 degrees and I have not only one crock pot going but two. One liquid and one bar batch (My New Favorite scent, Black Ginger and bamboo from FB) Just poured the one but the liquid soap is still going. Thank God Farm houses are painted white and tend to stay cooler or Id be on the floor.

I made sugar scrubs today--I think I have figured it out. not too greasy not too soft and one lasts for a shower--my skin feels awesome.
sent some soap to my son and DIL and my son just told me my DIL fell in love with the Apple Rose scent ---he said she keeps telling him to smell her haha

I use lard in every batch. it seems to improve the texture and creaminess. I also use it in my laundry soap (Which I am currently making on my lunch break) as a conditioning agent since the other ingredient is coconut oil.
So far so good. The bar is already hard and my son made it at around 2 this afternoon. The uncolored part of my swirl is really white. I will test it later tomorrow.

I made rice milk soap today. I did one with tallow and one with palm to test side by side (this was my first tallow recipe). They are in the molds now and look like they are gelling so I will hopefully unmold tomorrow and I'll post pictures. My rice milk lye solution got pretty thick, but blended in okay. I hope. :)

I actually managed to make some soaps today. Sapmoss from Oregon Trails, White Lily & Ginger from Peak, Tonic and Wild Mountain Honey from Peak. WMH was miserable and I had to test my in the bucket hp method once again. It was soap on a stick so I slapped a lid on the bucket and put it in a crate with a heating pad underneath. Sure glad this does not happen often. It may not be gorgeous but it smells nice.

Mine is convoluted: I need to go buy a 5kg pail of sour cherries. Then I need to make crisps, pies, cobblers and clafoutis until the cherries are gone (I usually dehydrate some but can't imagine running the dehydrator in this heat, nor the oven, come to think of it...). Then, finally, I'll have a new clean pail in which to make my STARSAN solution!!!

Mine is convoluted: I need to go buy a 5kg pail of sour cherries. Then I need to make crisps, pies, cobblers and clafoutis until the cherries are gone (I usually dehydrate some but can't imagine running the dehydrator in this heat, nor the oven, come to think of it...). Then, finally, I'll have a new clean pail in which to make my STARSAN solution!!!

Check out your local bakery, they usually have empty buckets that they will sell or give away. But all those goodies are a great way to get a free bucket! LOL!

I LOVE cherries. Do they grow them in your part of the world? I would live in Michigan just to have cherries in the summer.

I used micas for the first time. So easy, so colorful, no fading...

FC47983F-877F-444C-986B-9438DFB5335F.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Edit: I unmolded my soap this evening. I used turmeric to practice an in the pot swirl. After I added the fragrance and turmeric things moved pretty quickly. It was thick when I poured it in the mold and the soap in the mold got hot. I guess it gelled (not sure).

All my plain soaps never had such excitement. The swirl was okay. Next time I'll evenly divide the batter.
I use lard in several recipes. A friend who soaped for years said for her shop, everything had lard except her vegan line. I have had great luck with lard. I had one batch overheat, and seize but I think it was the Gardenia fragrance oil I used. I like my soaps with lard!

Back