What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I know, I should label my stuff in the freezer.
Um, only if you want to find it again when you need it. :D

10 10 10.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
HP soap embeds, round 2.

I guess I'm looking for something a little simpler but still with some interest. I focused on swirls early on and have found that depending on the swirls, I feel like it can take away from the soap. I'll still do some swirls but it will be simpler like I did with the lavender and Sage soap.

Solid color soaps have been growing on me but Ive been wanting to add a little something extra. I got pretty interested in soap dough after watching some sorcery soap videos. Once I saw Bee using a clay extruder for column embeds, I thought that might be the ticket. Most of my inspiration here comes from Bee (Sorcery Soaps). She does some similar embeds with a heart, among other amazing things with soap doigh. I've got a ton of extruder discs (over 100 now) and have the ability to make my own. I really like the idea of adding one or two of these shapes to a solid color soap. Think I'll play around with it for a while.

Anyways, here's the one I just did. A little crown in the corner. :D The crowns are extruded soap dough.

PhotoPictureResizer_190628_174405467_crop_4032x2073-1612x829.jpg

I finally made a 100% spearmint soap, I always mix it with peppermint for some reason, but I love spearmint by itself.

I just moved and my new house has a little work shop in the garage that I've turned into a soap studio. I also can't find my molds or stick blenders since the move, so I decided to try hand whisking. My recipe traces in about 30 seconds with the stick blender. After a few minutes, it seemed emulsified. I added french green clay and spearmint EO, and poured it into some poly tubing (I read about using it to make round soap, decided to try it since I can't find my molds). So now I have a tube of possibly emulsified maybe soap hanging from my work bench like a weird green sausage. In a moment of forethought, I put the soap making bucket under it, in case it exploded or something.

HP soap embeds, round 2.

I guess I'm looking for something a little simpler but still with some interest. I focused on swirls early on and have found that depending on the swirls, I feel like it can take away from the soap. I'll still do some swirls but it will be simpler like I did with the lavender and Sage soap.

Solid color soaps have been growing on me but Ive been wanting to add a little something extra. I got pretty interested in soap dough after watching some sorcery soap videos. Once I saw Bee using a clay extruder for column embeds, I thought that might be the ticket. Most of my inspiration here comes from Bee (Sorcery Soaps). She does some similar embeds with a heart, among other amazing things with soap doigh. I've got a ton of extruder discs (over 100 now) and have the ability to make my own. I really like the idea of adding one or two of these shapes to a solid color soap. Think I'll play around with it for a while.

Anyways, here's the one I just did. A little crown in the corner. :D The crowns are extruded soap dough.

View attachment 39993
Love it!

@Lin19687 ummm.... didn't you just cut 8 batches? You go ahead and make soap, I'll keep plugging away at the Stuff that's Not Soap. :(
Yeah but that was easy. I can't do those fun Videos you do ;) and I have to clean the house but I still don't want to.

Today I NEED to finish boxing some soaps as I need the room. But my coffee and office chair look like they need some Love :D:cool:

HP soap embeds, round 2.

View attachment 39993
Like it lots!

Made two batches today, one with all the soap balls I have so far acquired, and one trying out a single-pitcher pour inspired by a post I saw on Instagram. The nice thing about using tallow is that I can cut the soap as soon as it's cooled enough XD

So I've always had some interest in handmade soap. I'd get my parents to buy it for me in gift shops on vacations when I was younger. My mom has been going through a folder of my old stuff and she found some stuff I had printed out. Date at the bottom is 9/2/1999. I was 10. Thought that was interesting!

This is some of what I had printed...
PhotoPictureResizer_190629_171832197_crop_4536x1623-2268x812.jpg

I haven't had time to make soap in 3 weeks... suffering from withdrawal symptoms o_O

Although... I did check on my curing soaps. We've had crazy weather lately and a lot of em have been sweating like crazy. As in drenching the lining they're sitting on top of. So my only soapy things has been to replace said liners and clean up my shelves.

I only sold 3 bars of soap at the market today, but one was pretty funny. It was scented with fruity pebbles and was 6 colors swirled together. A big tough looking man with a beard bought it. He almost bought a different one because he thought his wife would make fun of him for the fruity pebbles soap, but went back to it and said "I don't care if she makes fun of me".

Goals for today:

In preparation for upcoming re-model that will give me a dedicated soaping room (not the kitchen), continue the purge/re-organization/clean-up in the scattered soaping areas around my home. Not that I make soap in various areas; I don't. But in the course of beginning this journey, I've spread out the storage or my soaping & few B&B supplies in various areas. It has become unwieldy. Anyway, I need to make room for the workers (haven't even hired anyone yet, though) so all this is necessary, although not urgent.

Gather soaps to take with me to give to family (some visit later this week; some to mail; some to bring on roadtrip.)

Prep soaps for boxed storage: Plane & Bevel as needed; Wrap & Label.

In preparation for upcoming roadtrip to Texas, then trip to Hawaii, gather what needs to go with me & pack. Talk about getting totally scattered while trying to multi-task!

So what soapy things have I done today yesterday? (didn't get this posted yesterday)

Done so far today yesterday:

✓ put away wire cutter (I may or may not make more soap this week)
✓ sent a group message to family to let me know who wants more soap - special requests noted
✓ put away wire cutter (I may or may not make more soap this week)
✓ beveled one bar of son's oatmeal soap; more to do (testing readiness for beveling)
✓ gathered deodorant making supplies (to make today)
✓ brought down fragrances (for consolidation of storage method)
✓ recycled some cardboard soap molds I no longer need
✓ planed & beveled soap made using Susie's 65% lard recipe - very similar to soy wax soap in look & feel
✓ trimmed fingernails so I could handle soap without stabbing it (1 year-old will be visiting in a few days, also)
✓ washed soapy dishes & put away when dry
✓ searched for small shopping bags to put soap into for family (apparently I am almost out!)
✓ prepped 2 trays for more soap curing; put soap into cure trays & labeled trays

Soapy ToDo's for tomorrow today:

- transport curing trays to curing area upstaits
- make deodorant
- choose a container for wire cutter wire making tool kit (for easy of use)
- put wire cutter wire making materials into dedicated container & label
- continue inventory reduction (toss/recycle/pkg to bring for granddaughter)
- transfer micas to jars (added 2 more small bins for colorant bottles storage)
- look through soap molds to assess for keeping, tossing, recycling, giving away or whatever
- update soap recipes with notes/photos as needed
- continue soap lessons plan for granddaughter (materials to bring, recipes, etc.)
- re-organize fragrances to facilitate ease of use
- bring down lotion making supplies/evaluate what to take for granddaughter (she signed up for a workshop)
- re-package into smaller travel containers: items to bring for projects on trip
- receive safety glasses order (had to reorder from another supplier
- add small bags to shopping list - for gathering soap prior to gifting

So I've always had some interest in handmade soap. I'd get my parents to buy it for me in gift shops on vacations when I was younger. My mom has been going through a folder of my old stuff and she found some stuff I had printed out. Date at the bottom is 9/2/1999. I was 10. Thought that was interesting!

This is some of what I had printed...
View attachment 40010
Wow! Soap in a blender! I guess that was before stick blenders.

Latest posts

Back