What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Feather swirl fail. Shhhh - only us soap makers will know. Anybody else will hopefully like the funny green blotches in the soap. AND - the ginger/lime FO was supposed to discolour to brown, which I had planned into the design. Hopefully it will darken with cure.
Made with Bundaberg Ginger Beer ( I know, I know, its Australian;))
View attachment 39929

Doesn’t that qualify as a feather swirl? Looks good to me.

If you find it too scratchy, you can label them as FOOT SOAP and use them to exfoliate your feet. That's what I did when my tea soaps were too scratchy. I use tea leaves, rather than tea from tea bags, and the longer the soap cures the drier leaves get and become quite scratchy to tender body parts. But they're great for rough feet that spend a lot of time in sandals.

Thank you!

KiwiMoose, I see a rabbit in the one on the left.

So I wanted to make oatmeal soap for my son today, but Hubby hasn't got out of his chair to go mow the lawn. I guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow. Or maybe he will go to bed early tonight. In the meantime, I'm beveling soap off and on. Also trying to solve an issue with opening one of my recipes. I haven't been able to open it for 3 days, so I think I'm going to have to re-create it all over again.

Oh to cut or not to cut...... I usually cut early and that gives me more ash - not that I really care.
But the age old soapers delimma.... to cut or not to cut.

LOL
I'll wait till Wednesday.

But this is what I have been thinking about all day here at work,

I forgot what was on my to do list for the weekend... but here's what I did:
Masterbatched 2lbs lye
Masterbatched 24lbs oils
Figured out how to create my masterbatch as an oil blend in SM3, so decided I MUST fix all of my recipes. As long as I was at it I also switched all the recipes over to grams and resized for the taller bars I want to start doing (*dumb reason* so my labels fit better on them. There's about 1/8" that folds over the bottom of the bar and it annoys my OCD.)
Washed dishes.
Made the remaining 18 bars of the 40 bar custom order.
Made 6 ugly sweater embeds.
Made a batch of mechanics soap from soap shreds.

Not too bad for a Saturday! (Sunday we took daughter to camp and did some sightseeing on the far side of MN over night.) Monday got home late-ish so I only had time to cut the soap I made on Saturday.

Today's list is looking like:
Making more ugly sweater embeds (only having two molds sucks)
Making a batch of ugly sweater soaps
Making a batch of sugar scrubs, just need to decide fragrance
Looking for the lost soap that I need for an order. Seriously. How does one lose an entire box of soap?

Figured out how to create my masterbatch as an oil blend in SM3, s
I've figured out the masterbatch lye, but haven't even tried to figure out/create a masterbatch oil blend. I may have to PM you about this!! Of course, it's not that big of a deal to me at the moment, so I will put this on my ever growing "to do" list.

I may have to PM you about this!!
I did it out of necessity, it was easier to figure out how to do the blend than do the math in my head. [back story: I had two different masterbatch recipes and just enough of each that combined to make a batch of soap... but doing the math for combining the two recipes was killing my brain.] I think we have an SM3 thread on here. If I think of it/have time tonight I will put together a tutorial on the thread.

Looking for the lost soap that I need for an order. Seriously. How does one lose an entire box of soap?
The same way someone loses an entire box of lids!! LOL I had them one day and then they were lost for about a week, and then finally found them after looking in that spot at least 3 times!!!

The same way someone loses an entire box of lids!! LOL I had them one day and then they were lost for about a week, and then finally found them after looking in that spot at least 3 times!!!
Bwahahahaha.'

Tis Gremlins 'bout I thinks

I have to cut tomorrow, I COULD today but the trial paper I used is stuck and I am in no mood to scrape it off :mad:.

I just finished up the most amazing pour ever (for me at least...it is only my 21st batch)....I am on a very huge soapy high. Did a gradient wall pour using 2 very beautiful colors I have from NS. Not sure what it will look like in two days' time, but for now my imagination is forming a perfect soap in my head. WOW that put me in the BEST MOOD EVER!

I feel like I have accomplished nothing today. I spent hours trying to figure out why I can't open one of my recipes and thought I found the problem. I could open it again. Then I added back in some notes that didn't get saved, and I can't open it again. HOURS of wasted work. So I updated it in Soapee instead, where it does get saved. And to be on the safe side, I copied all that information to a Word file to save on my hard drive. I may just have to start doing that again, too. I sort of slacked off in that area and now I regret it.

Well, all I got really done today was:
pay one bill - not soap related, but I have to take whatever I can get!
make lunch - same as above
bevel soap
Copy one recipe to Word & save it on my hard drive

I am now ready for a nap.

Making soap of course, scent with Dragonfruit Poptail from Aztec. Also ordered FO

Made a batch today. Lavender and Sage fragrance.

Hot processed.

View attachment 39896
Very Nice. Tough to get those designs in HP. Nicely done.

Cut soap this morning. The pink did not turn out as bright as I had intended but i do like the swirl.

dragonfruit.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yesterday I went home at lunch to unmold the first batch of cupcake soaps so I could wash and reuse the molds for round 2! After work, I made between 24-30 new cupcake bases (can't remember exactly how many off the top of my head), did more soap dishes (they never seem to end!), melted a jug of coconut oil to pour into a bowl with a larger opening so its easier to access, and then portioned out three batches worth of my hard oils for my next three rounds of soap!

Tonight I'm hoping to frost my newly made cupcake bases. I have two different scents I'm planning to do for these holiday cupcakes, so tonight I should finish the first scent batch, and then I'll move on to making the second scent batches this weekend!

Today's list is looking like:
Making more ugly sweater embeds (only having two molds sucks)
Making a batch of ugly sweater soaps

Making a batch of sugar scrubs, just need to decide fragrance

Today's list:
Still making more ugly sweater embeds. I must be getting better because last night's embeds were extremely ugly!
Making another batch of ugly sweater soaps (I have a total of 4 to do so I'm halfway done!) if I get my mold washed.
Making a batch of sugar scrub - still trying to decide on the fragrance though...
Calling a lady about a three day show in October.

I did "find" my missing box. Apparently I took it to the peddlers market and stocked the soap there. So I am going to sneak out of work a touch early so I can get there and grab the soap. The order won't ship today unless I can be super fast getting home, packing the envelope and getting to the PO. Someone a bit more organized might have packed everything but the missing soap and put it in one's car to avoid the extra trip home, but that someone is not me.

Tomorrow I have the day off work so I can run to MN to get daughter from camp (I am missing my mini-me terribly. The house is only half as sassy without her.) so I will have a bit of time in the morning before I leave. I'm hoping it will be photo and video editing because I am so far behind on those things.

Beveling soap off & on;
Recipe editing & copying - testing the software, creating backups on my hard drive & at Soapee

In my youth, software development testing was fun. I really enjoyed it. Now I'm not so sure I like it anymore. Maybe I am just in a bad mood and need to get over it.

I only have a few more days (over a week really) to get ready, plan packing, develop lye handling 101 to go with the soapmaking session with granddaughter (really, how stressful can that be? - it's not like we haven't made soap together before!), gather essential materials to bring along for soapmaking while planning enough room in car for our hers and my regular luggage for our trip to Hawaii afterwards, shrink wrap & label more soap, package & mail soap to family, clean the house enough for a 1-year-old to spend a couple of hours safely, and doubtless other things I am not remembering.

I spent the day with my husband and younger daughter, Killian, finishing the pack out and final clean of her apartment in Raleigh. Got back to our farm in Goldsboro NC, put a roast in the oven, then gazed in rapt awe at the new micas I received today from Mad Micas...and stood in front of my cure rack to inhale the wonderful intermingling of fragrances.

Here’s something else I thought I’d share. Do y’all remember Sweetheart soap? Back in the day, it was considered very fancy to put out for guests. I remember we used to paint all the curlicues with some kind of gold paint. Well today I found a Sweetheart soap that my sainted grandmother had painted and decorated back in 1945! I have the little note she wrote that goes with it. It was part of a fundraiser that her lady’s circle did to help pay off the church mortgage. Here are pictures of the front and back. After all these years I reckon it can have some DOS.
9D561EF1-6EFA-4DC2-A126-D88A2A51B53E.jpeg
812B2BB0-AE57-40D3-8588-C15840104E77.jpeg

I just finished up the most amazing pour ever (for me at least...it is only my 21st batch)....I am on a very huge soapy high. Did a gradient wall pour using 2 very beautiful colors I have from NS. Not sure what it will look like in two days' time, but for now my imagination is forming a perfect soap in my head. WOW that put me in the BEST MOOD EVER!
I’m so excited for you!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
My mood is also better.

1. Granddaughter called and asked if I could come sooner, so I'll leave a couple of days sooner.

2. And I finally figured out what the issue was with the recipes not saving. I identified a secret code that cuts off everything typed after it. It took hours to get there, but now I know. Never type % Castor and expect anything else to be saved after the last character before the % sign....

Well, now to refresh my memory on how to delete recipes (created to test the problems I was having.)

Tomorrow I will make the soap my eldest son requested. Then by the time we return from Hawaii, it should be ready to mail to him.

My mood is also better.

1. Granddaughter called and asked if I could come sooner, so I'll leave a couple of days sooner.

2. And I finally figured out what the issue was with the recipes not saving. I identified a secret code that cuts off everything typed after it. It took hours to get there, but now I know. Never type % Castor and expect anything else to be saved after the last character before the % sign....

Well, now to refresh my memory on how to delete recipes (created to test the problems I was having.)

Tomorrow I will make the soap my eldest son requested. Then by the time we return from Hawaii, it should be ready to mail to him.
Yay you! I’m glad you figured everything out. Now you can relax and enjoy Hawaii!

Latest posts

Back