What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its not soap but I formulated and made a conditioner bar from swiftcraftmonkey's guidelines, and I've got those setting up now to test out with the shampoo sindet bar I made.

I'm miffed that I cant find my camera charger so I can take pictures of everything, I'm going to have to get a new one, I tore up the house looking for it.

Eagerly awaiting some new embed molds and planning out various soaps, my beer powder is here and I'm super stoked to try it out with the Dragon's Milk fragrance I got :D I know, bad me trying a new fragrance and new ingredient at the same time, but I can't help myself.

Its not soap but I formulated and made a conditioner bar from swiftcraftmonkey's guidelines, and I've got those setting up now to test out with the shampoo sindet bar I made.

I'm miffed that I cant find my camera charger so I can take pictures of everything, I'm going to have to get a new one, I tore up the house looking for it.

Eagerly awaiting some new embed molds and planning out various soaps, my beer powder is here and I'm super stoked to try it out with the Dragon's Milk fragrance I got :D I know, bad me trying a new fragrance and new ingredient at the same time, but I can't help myself.
I feel your pain re camera recharger... We moved. I could not find the charger. My husband need it, like yesterday, had to use the camera so we bought a new one. The very next day I found the original one. Now I have 2. If your camera is a Cannon let me know.

I feel your pain re camera recharger... We moved. I could not find the charger. My husband need it, like yesterday, had to use the camera so we bought a new one. The very next day I found the original one. Now I have 2. If your camera is a Cannon let me know.
!! it is Its a Canon Powershot SX410 IS. The charger I was looking at was less than $10 though, with free shipping, from Amazon. :D Plus it lets me charge it with a standard usb charger which is super nice.

Well, I have used up almost all of the puréed Black Cherries. There's only a teeny tiny little bit left. Thought I'd let Hubby have it for spreading on his toast.

The rest of it went into 3 different batches of soap. And now for the first time ever, I am wishing my soap was edible! The first soap had so much alkanet root powder in it, that's mostly what I was smelling. But, oh, the second soap! It smelled like heaven's kitchen from the get-go and just kept getting better during CPOP. In fact, I've been sniffing it for days, wishing it was food and not soap; hoping I don't accidentally take a bite of it, it smells so scrumptious. And there is not a single drop of fragrance in it. This was au naturale. I'll post of picture of it sometime later today, I hope.

My camera activities have had me doing other things and taking a photo of Black Cherries Soap #2 was not my priority. What I wish I could do is record the fragrance that has been enticing me for days.

So what soapy things have I done today?

Done so far today:

✓ unmolded one soap (overnight gel)
✓ washed a whole lot of soapy dishes
✓ cut soap, photographed & videotaped said soap
✓ planed & beveled soap
✓ charged camera batteries (so I can photograph more soap)
✓ cleaned more soapy supplies & will do it yet again before day is done!
✓ brought wire cutter back downstairs so I could cut more soap, now need to bring it back upstairs again
✓ uploaded video & photos to computer; sorted some to get to the ones I wanted & deleted some bad ones
✓ created media post & submitted SCC entry (yes Black Cherries Soap #3 was the charm)
✓ made 'oatmilk' for son's requested soap (I will eat the oats for lunch, I suspect)
✓ thought about soap eldest son requested, hence the oatmilk

Soapy ToDo's (maybe I can get back on track with my ongoing list):

- add soap photos to my media (ugly beet powder soap, black cherries soap #2 & #3)
- gather together wire cutter wire making materials (started yesterday, but did not complete)
- continue inventory reduction (oils, other supplies, etc.)
- transfer more micas to jars (I think I have 2 or 3 empty jars for the bins)
- look through soap molds to assess for keeping, tossing, recycling, giving away or whatever
- update soap recipes with notes/photos as needed
- continue soap lessons plan for granddaughter (materials to bring, recipes, etc.)
- create soap recipe for son's request
- make confetti soap (part of inventory reduction plans)

No doing my favorite, rebatching a batch from Friday. It is in the oven happily melting away. This is a GM batch with Almond Creme FO that I decided to use some VS in which I seldom do. I am guessing it is the VS that collected on the bottom of the soap which I could have scraped off, but the fragrance was so strong I decided to rebatch with my 100% unfragranced Avocado soap that I hate. What was a pretty tan color is now a brown sugar color. :rolleyes:

Made a batch today. Lavender and Sage fragrance.

Hot processed.

PhotoPictureResizer_190623_170513964_crop_2047x1278-818x511.jpg

I made 4 batches of soap after a 2-month hiatus during which I have been busy helping my two daughters relocate from Raleigh to Charlotte NC. I needed to make soap to relax! So I made a rosemary mint that smells like an Aveda shampoo I had. I used French Green clay and a pinch of celadon mica for color and faint charcoal pencil lines. Does anyone else enjoy just standing in front of your cure racks and breathing in the glorious fragrances?

Last edited:
I felt pretty productive this weekend, but didn't get to half of my planned list for the weekend. Its tough having a soap business and a full time job, as I'm sure a lot of you know. Most of my soap work gets pushed to the weekends!

This weekend I managed to:
1. Photograph some new bars to post online (didn't get them posted yet though)
2. Planed, beveled and stamped 20 bars of rosemary mint.
3. Made star embeds for holiday cupcake soaps and painted them with mica once they were set to add some sparkle.
4. Added frosting and star embeds to 36 of the cupcake soap bases I made earlier in the week.
5. Shredded the equivalent of 5 or 6 bars to get ready for rebatching.
6. Transferred about 13 sample packs of micas and colorants out of their plastic bags and into small containers.
7. Did LOTS of soap dishes.
8. Bought some EO's today that I'd run out of so I can finish the second batch of holiday cupcakes I plan to make (gearing up for the holidays already!)

As a bonus, my house now smells like holiday-cinnamon-spicey goodness :)

Phew !
I just did the 8 batches that I had set up.
Tried out 2 new scents from Bitter-Creek. One took off on me but since my lye was RT and I went Super slow on the SB I got it in while still fluid. Trying not to look at it in case it riced in the mold.

Hope to cut tomorrow night or Wednesday

Made a batch today. Lavender and Sage fragrance.

Hot processed.

View attachment 39896

I totally agree with @TheDragonGirl !

I came home for lunch and to measure out my oils for two test recipes. Made them when I got home from work for the day since I was on my own for the evening. Indigo and Madder powders were mixed with boiling water this morning and added to the lye tonight. I had to filter it through cloth as it went into the oils. That was kind of messy, but otherwise it all seems to have gone well. The madder batter was a wonderful raspberry color going into the mold. The indigo was kind of a grey green blue, which I think I have seen once or twice before :), but it has always turned blue by the time it was done. It was at the mid tone color wise, which is what I wanted. I topped both mini loaves with a layer of white soap made with kaolin clay. I also used the whitest oils I had in the house for this recipe, except for the Avocado oil that I love so much now that I couldn’t leave it out. I’m keeping my figures crossed that I get the colors I planned.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feather swirl fail. Shhhh - only us soap makers will know. Anybody else will hopefully like the funny green blotches in the soap. AND - the ginger/lime FO was supposed to discolour to brown, which I had planned into the design. Hopefully it will darken with cure.
Made with Bundaberg Ginger Beer ( I know, I know, its Australian;))
IMG_1166.jpeg

Back