What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Earline, I too wish the best for your brother. Tough stuff.

Everybody's soaps are just lovely!

I made a batch (small) of 'watermelon' soap Sunday. Thought it was too orangish for watermelon, so made another batch (small) yesterday and ran out of the pinks and reds I was using (I needed something I didn't have in the first place, ha ha) so the second batch is pale pink. I am now tired of making watermelon soap...

Today I made three molds out of corrugated cardboard. All slightly different sizes. We shall see!

Thank you, all of you, for your prayers, thoughts and well wishes. My SIL could really use them as well. We spoke for a very long time this morning, and her anxiety level is way up right now. Sometimes when your loved one is in this situation, being a nurse can be a double-edged sword. And she also has her own problems to deal with (don't we all?) that is just increasing her anxiety. When her anxiety level increased it affects my brother, and of course she knows that, but it doesn't change things. Right now, she's really worried about money and stressing over the unknowns facing them.

I lost my second husband to his second heart attack. I don't talk about it much, but I do bring it up when anyone I care about decides to ignore doctor's orders or pick and choose which parts of the treatment regimen to follow. If he had not tampered with the doctor's treatment, he would have not died when he did. I will remind my brother of that if and when it seems appropriate.

I know all too well about the anxiety for the spouse after a Heart Attack. I am praying for her as well during this time, and going forward as sometimes the smack hits when the crisis eases.

Earlene, let me first say I am sorry for the loss of your Husband and second, THANK YOU for what you do as a nurse. The Nurses were my lifeline during My husbands 2 heart attacks and 2 cardiac arrests, 16 weeks in the ICU and a heart transplant. They gave it to me straight and answered my unending questions so I felt I had some measure of control during a time nothing seemed controllable or manageable.

Thank you, msunnerstood. I am so sorry about what you and your husband had to go through. I am sure it was very stressful and I am glad to hear the nursing staff was so supportive.
Dont worry about me Earlene, I was just trying to empathize with yur SIL and Brother and thank you for what you d.

No soap for me tonight, Storms Comin. There were Maters (Old family name for Tornadoes) to our west and large hail, coming right for us.

After February's soap challenge, I fell in love with soapy rocks and have been wanting to make another batch. I made an uncolored batch with coffee grounds to give it a speckled look (thanks to @Carolyne Thrasher for that idea!). I molded them and I am afraid they look a bit like potatoes.

Not to be discouraged, I made a second batch with the intention of practicing my ribbon pour, using Iron Oxide and uncolored. Unfortunately, I was using a FO that caused my batter to seize. So, no ribbon pour, much more of a plop and swirl. When I went to cut the soap, the FO had discolored the uncolored parts of my soap to pink?! Sigh. So, I cut them and squished those into rocks too!

I would have posted pictures but the camera on my phone is acting up and it won't focus on anything close up.

How's your brother today @earlene? Recovering quickly I hope? Sending out prayers and good vibes for him, his wife and you :)

I'm gearing up for a 70% rice bran oil soap today.. Been meaning to but always forgot. Today I checked my infusions and realized I had infused chamomile tea bits and calendula flowers in RBO, and I have enough for a small batch.

I'm gearing up for a 70% rice bran oil soap today.. Been meaning to but always forgot. Today I checked my infusions and realized I had infused chamomile tea bits and calendula flowers in RBO, and I have enough for a small batch.
Are you going to add 20% CO to it. Make a new thread so we can hear how it went.

I didn't stamp last night but have another 500 to stamp between now and Monday......... bet I am going to wait till Sunday ;)

Prayers for your Brother's quick recovery. You just never know who is going to have issues. Heart Attacks are very scary.

I nearly had a soaping catastrophe yesterday. I made my Aloe & Eucalyptus soap and it just did not want to trace in a timely fashion so I poured at barely emulsion. The reason I stopped Stick Blending is I did not want to liquify the fresh aloe. Anyways, I wanted to get it in the crate, I set on a heat pad, as quick as possible in case the emulsion did not hold. Since I had the flu last Dec, I am light headed and woozy most of the time. Doc says it is not connected but I question it because it was not a previous issue. I thought I was carefully carrying the very thin batter in the mold when I swayed and hit the door going into my room. Yup, raw batter slopped out on my hands and on the floor, not a huge amount but still messy. Thankfully it did not spill on my hardwood floor but on my old asphalt tile flooring. I had extra batter so was able to fill the mold up and it really did not hurt my swirl :D, and got it all washed off me before any burns.
I've done that before when I wasn't light headed and woozy. Stuff happens! Glad you had extra batter.

How's your brother today @earlene? Recovering quickly I hope? Sending out prayers and good vibes for him, his wife and you :)

I waited 2 1/2 hours after I was up to call California and inquire about my brother. First I spoke with his nurse and she gave me good news. Then a few minutes later, brother called and he sounds great. No pain, feels great, going home to day. Doc gave a 5 pound weight lift restriction for a week, but he expects to be back at his BlackSmithing in a week unless more restrictions. I know SIL is worried about him lifting anvils, but if the doc says it's okay, he will do it; otherwise I suggested he hire a helper. Anyway, he sounds really really good. I posted a picture of him when he was about 7 or 8 here in the Random Pictures (non-soap) thread.

I started a batch of soap yesterday morning, but didn't finish so that's one the agenda today. I will also cut the soap I did my alkanet root powder experiment on and see if I can see a difference between the lye water alkanet and the sugar water alkanet. Of course at just 2 days, it might be early yet. And some beveling practice with my new bevel tool. It seems I have a long way to go to compete with IrishLass's beveling technique (see her gorgeous bevels here).

Today's to do list:
Make lye solution for brewery soaps
Do dishes
Make two batches of beer soap if lye solution is cool enough
Lay in hammock with hubby

Today's to do list:
Take stock to Peddlers Market
Do soap dishes that didn't get done yesterday because I have NO clean dishes left
Make more lye solution for brewery soaps to make tomorrow
Cut soaps made last night
Spray down cure crates with hose because they need a good cleaning before new soap gets added (might be able to get daughter to do this because she'll get to play with the hose and it's hot out)
And then a whole bunch of non-soapy nonsense that I am going to resent the heck out of doing because I really want to be making soap.

I've been wanting to try the pour/pull through technique and I found this sink caddy at Walmart so I cut it up to make it fit a Pringles can. Probably will try that later this week once my 15 FO's get here............

Also, as a bonus, the outer rim of that caddy has a wire in it and I was able to save it to make a hanger tool! Today I might prepare a couple batches of oils so I'm all ready to go once my goodies arrive :)
StephanieMarie. I like your plans. I'm curious how you'll use the soap caddy is it with your pringles can? I recently bought a can of pringles to try round soaps. Or is it simpley to keep your soap dry at the sink? It's a prettier caddy than most.

Opened a soapy box today. Been waiting on it to make more soap. Definitely making some this weekend.

20190605_185535-1612x907.jpg

Today's to do list:
Take stock to Peddlers Market
Do soap dishes that didn't get done yesterday because I have NO clean dishes left

Thanks for the remind, I need to was my soaping gear as well, it's been safely hidden away to saponify and I'll need them clean if I get to do any more soaping this weekend! That will be my soaping deed for today, besides thinking, thinking about making soap...

Doing research! I keep wanting to do a deeper dive into the different properties of fatty acids and oils and have been marking articles and books and am finally sitting down to read and record it all(I have a soap notebook.lol). "
Also doing some research into an idea I have for some soaps I wanna make for my local firefighters. Made a BrambleBerry order yesterday. Soap (and my novel) is pretty much all I think about these days.

<3 to you and your family @earlene

Back