What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did think it looked a bit darker than normal before I added the FO---the green I used looked off too until it gelled and changed to what it was supposed to be. like I said I still like it but with all the white mica I added it should be a pure white--I think I need to make just a naked bar using coconut and see what I get
View attachment 38935
LOVE those!

just finished my tiger stripe swirl--wow what a nightmare hahaha--needless to say it didn't go as planned. I am too slow to do those kind of swirls and it was pretty thick at the end and I don't know how but I ran out of the main color which I had twice the amount of

I did think it looked a bit darker than normal before I added the FO---the green I used looked off too until it gelled and changed to what it was supposed to be. like I said I still like it but with all the white mica I added it should be a pure white--I think I need to make just a naked bar using coconut and see what I get
View attachment 38935
These are beautiful! I see what you mean but I really like them this way -- they just look very natural.

well I just finished a naked coconut soap--it looks pretty dark--I am wondering if coconut milk scorches also? I did 50-50 and then the rest of the coconut milk in with the oils. it looks pretty close to tan

OMG - put some clothes on the poor thing! I've used CM three times and it's never discoloured.

I am going to get it a sweat suit with a hoodie to cover it all up. :) actually I have him hiding out under a bunch of towels!! I just peeked and it appears to be lightening up so I will hold out judgement until I cut it--keep your fingers crossed

Well I met my goal of 3 soaps today. and hopefully 3 tomorrow and then hopefully it will be warm enough to plant. how the heck do you guys do 8 batches a day???? I am tired and my feet hurt crazy bad

I am going to get it a sweat suit with a hoodie to cover it all up. :) actually I have him hiding out under a bunch of towels!! I just peeked and it appears to be lightening up so I will hold out judgement until I cut it--keep your fingers crossed
Dang it now Im picturing soap hoodies in my head... :lol:

I have never tried tallow--I wouldn't know where to find it I guess plus I have been real happy with lard. I did add the coconut milk in with the oils and used for replacement except for the 50-50 lye. where do you get tallow from atiz? I would like to try it
I've rendered tallow from fat I got from a butcher shop in town. If they ask what kind, you want to ask for suet/leaf lard fat. They may even grind it up for you if you ask. The process takes awhile, and I made a mess, but I wouldn't say it's hard.

But Amazon works too!

I've rendered tallow from fat I got from a butcher shop in town. If they ask what kind, you want to ask for suet/leaf lard fat. They may even grind it up for you if you ask. The process takes awhile, and I made a mess, but I wouldn't say it's hard.

But Amazon works too!

good idea--I used to help my mom render when I was real young--all I remember is it stank and I wanted to be outside playing. but I think I am going to put it on my list of things to do. probably would be cheaper than paying for shipping. thanks kaysejean

well I just finished a naked coconut soap--it looks pretty dark--I am wondering if coconut milk scorches also? I did 50-50 and then the rest of the coconut milk in with the oils. it looks pretty close to tan

well after cutting this morning--the soap isn't as white as my soap normally is but it is white!!!

I’ve had patients tell me that colors are more vibrant and oftentimes appear to be entirely different colors than what they thought they were, eg, their clothes!

I have been whining about new bulbs in lights not being as bright as the old ones for months now. Which I knew was part of the whole cataract issue, but it is quite unbelievable how bright everything on my right side it vs how dull and dark everything is on the left. I am so looking forward to having both eyes done and actually being able to drive and even walk safely with no correction for the first time in my life. I will still need readers, but I knew that was going to be the issue.

@Marilyn Norgart My oils are not all white white so while my soap is light it isn't white white.
Here is a pic of a tester I did a bit ago. What oils you use also help determine how white / tan / off color a soap will be I think.
1/2 the water went into Lye and other 1/2 of liquid was CM into oils.
Taken on my desk just now with flash and with out & paper behind it.
IMG_20190512_085145753[1].jpg with out flash- window on the right of soap
IMG_20190512_085150678[1].jpgwith flash

@Marilyn Norgart My oils are not all white white so while my soap is light it isn't white white.
Here is a pic of a tester I did a bit ago. What oils you use also help determine how white / tan / off color a soap will be I think.
1/2 the water went into Lye and other 1/2 of liquid was CM into oils.
Taken on my desk just now with flash and with out & paper behind it.
View attachment 38942 with out flash- window on the right of soap
View attachment 38943with flash

i put a bar of my avatar soap next to the coconut bar and my avatar bar is a little whiter. but with that being said the avatar soap seems to be getting a bit darker. Does that happen over time with a white bar? thanks for taking the pics to show me your soap--and even the difference the lighting makes. over all i still like it but now when i pick up my coconut bar i find myself sniffing it----geez, its odd to not have a scent

I have been whining about new bulbs in lights not being as bright as the old ones for months now. Which I knew was part of the whole cataract issue, but it is quite unbelievable how bright everything on my right side it vs how dull and dark everything is on the left. I am so looking forward to having both eyes done and actually being able to drive and even walk safely with no correction for the first time in my life. I will still need readers, but I knew that was going to be the issue.
I wear one contact on my dominant eye to correct for distance and leave the other naked for reading. Been doing it for years, and it works great except in low light situations like church, movies or theatre. Not sure if that would be an option for you.

good luck--I just did my second attempt in CP--I cant imagine doing that in HP
My second batch yesterday was at attempt at tiger stripes—it took back-seat to the drama of translucency, so I didn’t mention it. The batter was PERFECT for what I wanted to accomplish, but I was going for “tiger,” not “zebra,” which is the mistake a lot of people make IMHO. So, I’ll have no idea if I got anywhere close to tiger stripes until I cut it later today. Last time I tried a competition, I was an overly-exuberant idiot an posted the pic, thereby disqualifying myself, but I don’t think there is any rule against talking about it. If it doesn’t turn out acceptable for the competition, I’ll post a pic later today.

Back