What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One thing I did learn... peanut oil doesn't taste as bad in tooth soap as coconut oil does. That's the plus. The minus is that peanut oil goes rancid fairly quickly.

I replaced it in the recipe with more olive, so I wonder how it compares to olive. I basically have no idea what coconut oil soap tastes like, so I don't really know how to compare my creation. I do get a soapy taste when I spit which isn't exactly pleasant but not overwhelming. Would it be any different with the coconut in there?

Maybe a good thing I didn't use peanut oil if it goes rancid so fast. I made this with 5 oz of base oil which I discovered is just about the bare minimum batch that I can cook in my Crock Pot. Still you use so little at a time that it may take years to get through. Just as well, since as you guys covered in the original tooth soap thread, peanut oil can be hard to find in anything smaller than a 55 gallon drum.

I used Castile (100% olive oil Castile) before my tooth soap was cured, and I think the taste of the Castile was pretty mild. I never tried a soap with CO for brushing my teeth since everyone said how bad it tastes and I didn't have any desire to experience that for myself. No, peanut oil can easily be found in many some grocery stores in smaller bottles; maybe not in all areas, but I found it in a small bottle eventually.

Edit: I decided 'many' might be overstating facts, so changed it to 'some'.

Last edited:
No, peanut oil can easily be found in many grocery stores in smaller bottles; maybe not in all areas, but I found it in a small bottle eventually.

I think maybe it's better now than it used to be, maybe I did see a smaller bottle of peanut oil at Walmart. I'm not really sure since the last time I was looking at the oils section of Walmart I had a particular soap recipe in mind and wasn't using peanut oil in it.

Today I am playing with Recipe calculations again.... because why not ;)

I could do this all day long. It's where you can get creative and it doesn't cost anything to just throw stuff into a calculator.

It doesn't taste good, but this particular recipe doesn't seem to taste bad either. You get a little bit of soapy taste spitting it out but other than that it's basically flavorless.

I dunno, it's an experiment mostly. I want my teeth clean, soap cleans. The elevated pH is a bonus.

I don't like baking soda on my teeth, too abrasive. It tears up my gums too. I am thinking of rebatching to add xylitol though, but maybe I'll just chew a piece of xylitol gum after every meal or something.

Has anyone mentioned that tooth soap should be make without coconut as it's the reason for the bad taste? (wonder if pko and babassu, which are similar to co, might also negatively affect taste)

Why is the higher pH a bonus? I would think neutral is better for delicate mouth tissue. And there's supposed to be good bacteria in your mouth too....

(wonder if pko and babassu, which are similar to co, might also negatively affect taste)

I used babassu precisely because it gives you the similar fatty acids to coconut hoping it wouldn't have the bad taste. Doesn't seem to be terrible.

Why is the higher pH a bonus? I would think neutral is better for delicate mouth tissue. And there's supposed to be good bacteria in your mouth too....

I'm not a dentist, but so much of what we consume is acidic and I would think that's part of what causes tooth decay. Higher pH might help neutralize that, and may limit bacteria growth too. Yeah there's probably good bacteria in your mouth too, but how do you get rid of the bad stuff without hurting the good?

I made embeds for soap cupcakes. Visited my soapmaking friend when hubby and I took a road trip over the weekend to a beer fest. She sent me home with annatto and ...um... something else (the heck? ugh my brain today) to play with for natural colorants. This week I have to do dishes, masterbatch oils and lye, fill out show apps, and other misc desk stuff. Hopefully will have all that taken care of by Friday so I can make soap over my 4 day weekend. Will probably need to make more sugar scrub this weekend too, as most of the last batch I made has pre-sold.

Where in the UK did you buy your soy wax from Chris? I am getting very confused reading the longer post on soy wax so thought I'd just go for it and give it a try. I found this on a uk site, do you think it would be OK? : https://www.aromantic.co.uk/home/products/butters-waxes/soya-wax.aspx

https://www.livemoor.co.uk/products/soy-wax-ecosoya-cb-135?variant=19537546182

Thats the one iv got 10kg of. Try using the code review 15 might be without the spaces if not they almost always have a 10% off code. Iv gone off whether it says its dermatologically tested.

Iv just got another kinda 2 batches done. I made my first mathematical error while measuring 2 batches up well i added the shea butter to just one of the batches so i decided it would be fine if i just do it all as one batch and combine everything there was only about 5-10% differnce in the 2 recipes. If it sucks as a soap least itll smell nice and hopefully look nice. Tried my first in pot swirl. and made my second error when i used more for that and only left about half as much as i needed for my second loaf so ill make soap for ikkle hands. Took so long to sort my colours that the batter had started to thicken by time i got to the second mould so scooped it in and tried to do summit fancy but all i had handy to use was half a zip tie so not sure how it will of turned out.

Has anyone mentioned that tooth soap should be make without coconut as it's the reason for the bad taste? (wonder if pko and babassu, which are similar to co, might also negatively affect taste)

You are right, a more neutral pH even slightly alkaline pH is better for the oral tissues. As Nate said, the foods we choose play an important role in our oral health. Sodas, citrus fruits and fruit juice, coffee and a host of other foods cause dips in the pH. These dips expose the teeth to micro-erosion which over time can cause gumline sensitivity and defects in the enamel that can become cavities. A slightly alkaline pH is best, too alkaline is not good either. Simply drinking water can improve the balance. Rinsing with baking soda is also a good option as it neutralizes the acidic condition. Your saliva is full of enzymes for digestion and minerals to micro-repair the teeth, so you need to have a good flow :) Sea Salt rinses are good as well, helping to balance and heal. Xylitol inhibits the growth of acid loving bacteria responsible for caries and perio disease. It also helps to increase salivary flow. You don't need to worry about killing all the bacteria in your mouth because there are way too many places for it to hide such as perio pockets and the pits & fissures of teeth. The bacteria repopulate extremely fast feeding on the carbs we consume so you are just keep the numbers down.

Mom's going to Pakistan to hopefully bring my grandma here.. And I'm wrapping up soap to give to family there, amidst the baby's toys lol
_20190417_170617.JPG

https://www.livemoor.co.uk/products/soy-wax-ecosoya-cb-135?variant=19537546182

Thats the one iv got 10kg of. Try using the code review 15 might be without the spaces if not they almost always have a 10% off code. Iv gone off whether it says its dermatologically tested.

Iv just got another kinda 2 batches done. I made my first mathematical error while measuring 2 batches up well i added the shea butter to just one of the batches so i decided it would be fine if i just do it all as one batch and combine everything there was only about 5-10% differnce in the 2 recipes. If it sucks as a soap least itll smell nice and hopefully look nice. Tried my first in pot swirl. and made my second error when i used more for that and only left about half as much as i needed for my second loaf so ill make soap for ikkle hands. Took so long to sort my colours that the batter had started to thicken by time i got to the second mould so scooped it in and tried to do summit fancy but all i had handy to use was half a zip tie so not sure how it will of turned out.

Thank You for the link:) I hope your soap turns out ok despite the errors!

View attachment 38421 My beautiful Bay Rum CP soap just didn’t get as hard as I wanted. So, it became a Bay Rum Mosaic!

How long did you leave it? Iv got a lard goats milk soap that for some reason probably something i did wrong in making it has only just become hard enough for reasonable life and that soaps about 6-7 months old now. It is one my fave soaps too lovely in the shower.

I unmoulded my 2 confuzzeled batches last night. They were still a tad tack when i cut first slice so moved them back onto the towel i use to wrap the fresh soap to gel it will try again tomorrow they are looking nice so far though

I have investigated all day to find out how they bleach palm oil and most important, if that is something I can manage to do at home. Luckily it is, in theory. Several ways. And luckily, scientists have manage to bleach palm oil by 91% using heat and activate charcoal in combination. And they described their method, so that I could copy it :)

I do have heat in form of a stove, I do have my stickblender as a stirring tool, I can make some easy filtering system to remove the charcoal from the oil, and I do have lots of activated charcoal I have no idea what to use it for (it has too big particles to be used in soap, it is originally for filtering moonshine). I have tried to blend some of it down to smaller particles, which I managed, but not small enough, since my soap came out scratchy. But, it is perfect to use for bleaching red palm oil!

I have 2 kilos of activated charcoal, which is way more than enough for bleaching relatively small amounts, like 2 kilos at a time. I don't have that much red palm oil yet, but I can test out the bleaching process first with my 500 grams bottle of red palm oil I have in my cupboard, just to see if it works as I hope. If it does, I will buy lots of red palm oil and make myself some bleached white palm oil (I can't buy that anywhere in this country, you see, only red palm oil, that's why all the effort instead of just buying bleached palm oil in the first place).

Red palm oil is nice (unless it has illegal dyes) but it can be boring in the long run with too many orange soaps. So, yes, that's why I needed to find a DIY method.

What I was surprised to find, was that heating alone can bleach oils. That seems to be a common DIY method. I found some useless videos on Youtube that described it (but did not show the result). They heated the oil until it started to smoke. And kept it that hot for some while. I did find a scientific description telling it had to be heated to 250 degrees celsius for a certain time, and it should work. In the report, they bleached palm oil by 89% using heat alone. But of course, it is a serious fire hazard that should not be done inside a house. The oil will probably not be too healthy afterwards, but maybe healthy enough to use in soap. The charcoal method is much more gentle, even thought the oil must be heated to 150 degrees celsius, the charcoal added and stirred in the oils (probably constantly, they did not say) and kept at the given temperature for 8 minutes. Finally filtered to separate the charcoal from the oil. I guess ordinary coffee filters would work just fine for that purpose, if it doesn't get all clogged up.

We'll see how it goes when I try it. Hopefully it works without too many problems.

I guess none of you have bleached palm oil at home, since refined palm oil it is easily available most places. But if, please let me know how you did and what your results were. And if some method failed, I would definately like to know, so I don't do the same mistakes :)

Opened a box of wool from Carolyn and HAD to go do some wet felting with a soap that was just sitting around by the sink. Nice wool. Nothing fancy, just a base layer that I will add some design to a bit later. Tomorrow I have plans to work on piping soap, so probably not tomorrow.

Got some quick pics of my kinda panicked made batches from Tuesday night

Tried another cut about 6 hours after thinking it had firmed up but it hasnt so will try again in 24 hours and see how it feels.
Oooh I love the blue ones!

Back