What soapy thing have you done today?

Discussion in 'Lye-Based Soap Forum' started by FlybyStardancer, Feb 12, 2014.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. Apr 15, 2019 #11,301

earlene

earlene

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper Lifetime Supporter

I don't think 99% is better for soap than 91%. The amount of water in 99% is so low that it evaporates very quickly. The 70% evaporates more slowly and is considered better for disinfecting surfaces for that reason. The 91% is somewhere in between. But according to sources that make it, the 91% will remain 91% even as it evaporates, whereas while the 70% evaporates, (in the bottle for example) the concentration of alcohol in solution does change.

And it is true, it can be hard to find. I think you'd have better luck trying to find it at a store than caters to folks who do their own electronics repairs.

One of our members mentioned one day that she had to take soap away from her dad because it looked like food and he was eating it. Our sense of taste diminishes as we age, and it's really an issue when your sense of taste can't tell your brain that this is bad for you. And then there is the whole pica eating disorder - eating non-foods; lot's of people have pica disorders, and eating soap is one example.

LadySarah370 likes this.
  2. Apr 16, 2019 #11,302

LadySarah370

LadySarah370

LadySarah370

Ok so here is the soap I made. I can't wait to unmold tomorrow!

I just hope it didn't rice....It looked like it but then when I cleaned the bowl it was ok..so who knows lol

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2019
  3. Apr 16, 2019 #11,303

Terri E

Terri E

Terri E

"Tucked away in the mountains" Supporting Member

Ewwwww, Nate, soap doesn't taste good! The only thing I think making toothpaste out of soap would be good for is changing the ph in the mouth temporarily. Why not just use some good ole baking soda, EV coconut oil and a little xylitol (inhibits microbes)? Dip your toothbrush in a little peroxide if you really want to wipe out the anaerobes! ;)

4. Apr 16, 2019 #11,304

DWinMadison

DWinMadison

DWinMadison

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/taiwan-swirl.74696/

5. Apr 16, 2019 #11,305

Terri E

Terri E

Terri E

6. Apr 16, 2019 #11,306

Nate5700

Nate5700

Nate5700

It doesn't taste good, but this particular recipe doesn't seem to taste bad either. You get a little bit of soapy taste spitting it out but other than that it's basically flavorless.

I dunno, it's an experiment mostly. I want my teeth clean, soap cleans. The elevated pH is a bonus.

I don't like baking soda on my teeth, too abrasive. It tears up my gums too. I am thinking of rebatching to add xylitol though, but maybe I'll just chew a piece of xylitol gum after every meal or something.

Terri E likes this.
  7. Apr 16, 2019 #11,307

Terri E

Terri E

Terri E

Let us know how the experiment turns out :) A couple other ingredients you could play around with are calcium carbonate and food grade vegetable glycerin. I made a viscous mixture of xylitol and food grade glycerin for a patient who had anug to help heal his gingiva, it worked along with his attention to proper HC :)

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  8. Apr 16, 2019 #11,308

Alfa_Lazcares

Alfa_Lazcares

Alfa_Lazcares

IMG_3323.JPG

Sooo I finally jumped in and made my first batch of Zany’s no slime castille. Added a bit of mica cause I was gonna use a mango fragrance that i needed to test since ages ago. Behaved super well both the recipe and the FO. Cant wait to test it.

Zing, Dawni, shunt2011 and 2 others like this.
  9. Apr 16, 2019 #11,309

KiwiMoose

KiwiMoose

KiwiMoose

Looks gorgeous!

Ooh yummy! It looks like mashed mango.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2019
  10. Apr 16, 2019 #11,310

DWinMadison

DWinMadison

DWinMadison

Wow. Beautiful work.

11. Apr 16, 2019 #11,311

Misschief

Misschief

Misschief

Supporting Member

One thing I did learn... peanut oil doesn't taste as bad in tooth soap as coconut oil does. That's the plus. The minus is that peanut oil goes rancid fairly quickly.

12. Apr 16, 2019 #11,312

Lin19687

Lin19687

Lin19687

Yesterday did more cutting, stamping and packaging.

Terri E likes this.
  13. Apr 16, 2019 #11,313

Nate5700

Nate5700

Nate5700

I replaced it in the recipe with more olive, so I wonder how it compares to olive. I basically have no idea what coconut oil soap tastes like, so I don't really know how to compare my creation. I do get a soapy taste when I spit which isn't exactly pleasant but not overwhelming. Would it be any different with the coconut in there?

Maybe a good thing I didn't use peanut oil if it goes rancid so fast. I made this with 5 oz of base oil which I discovered is just about the bare minimum batch that I can cook in my Crock Pot. Still you use so little at a time that it may take years to get through. Just as well, since as you guys covered in the original tooth soap thread, peanut oil can be hard to find in anything smaller than a 55 gallon drum.

14. Apr 16, 2019 #11,314

earlene

earlene

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper Lifetime Supporter

I used Castile (100% olive oil Castile) before my tooth soap was cured, and I think the taste of the Castile was pretty mild. I never tried a soap with CO for brushing my teeth since everyone said how bad it tastes and I didn't have any desire to experience that for myself. No, peanut oil can easily be found in many some grocery stores in smaller bottles; maybe not in all areas, but I found it in a small bottle eventually.

Edit: I decided 'many' might be overstating facts, so changed it to 'some'.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  15. Apr 16, 2019 #11,315

Lin19687

Lin19687

Lin19687

Today I am playing with Recipe calculations again.... because why not ;)

Nanette likes this.
  16. Apr 16, 2019 #11,316

Nate5700

Nate5700

Nate5700

I think maybe it's better now than it used to be, maybe I did see a smaller bottle of peanut oil at Walmart. I'm not really sure since the last time I was looking at the oils section of Walmart I had a particular soap recipe in mind and wasn't using peanut oil in it.

I could do this all day long. It's where you can get creative and it doesn't cost anything to just throw stuff into a calculator.

17. Apr 16, 2019 #11,317

lenarenee

lenarenee

lenarenee

Supporting Member

Has anyone mentioned that tooth soap should be make without coconut as it's the reason for the bad taste? (wonder if pko and babassu, which are similar to co, might also negatively affect taste)

Why is the higher pH a bonus? I would think neutral is better for delicate mouth tissue. And there's supposed to be good bacteria in your mouth too....

Terri E likes this.
  18. Apr 16, 2019 #11,318

Misschief

Misschief

Misschief

Supporting Member

I buy it a litre at a time at my local grocery stores. I have no problem finding it.

19. Apr 16, 2019 #11,319

Nate5700

Nate5700

Nate5700

I used babassu precisely because it gives you the similar fatty acids to coconut hoping it wouldn't have the bad taste. Doesn't seem to be terrible.

I'm not a dentist, but so much of what we consume is acidic and I would think that's part of what causes tooth decay. Higher pH might help neutralize that, and may limit bacteria growth too. Yeah there's probably good bacteria in your mouth too, but how do you get rid of the bad stuff without hurting the good?

20. Apr 16, 2019 #11,320

amd

amd

amd

Supporting Member

I made embeds for soap cupcakes. Visited my soapmaking friend when hubby and I took a road trip over the weekend to a beer fest. She sent me home with annatto and ...um... something else (the heck? ugh my brain today) to play with for natural colorants. This week I have to do dishes, masterbatch oils and lye, fill out show apps, and other misc desk stuff. Hopefully will have all that taken care of by Friday so I can make soap over my 4 day weekend. Will probably need to make more sugar scrub this weekend too, as most of the last batch I made has pre-sold.

Zing and Zany_in_CO like this.