What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
10 different oils is a lot of weighing Out of curiosity what did you use?

Coconut, Palm, Olive, Tamanu, Almond, Avocado, Castor, Cocoa Butter, Rose hip and Moringa Seed. I also infused the Olive oil with some calendula and rose petals before I started the main batch.

Excessive? Yeah, probably. But it sure was fun! :)

Ok so I made a Rose Soap today. I am still learning so I blended the main batter a little longer I think than i should have. I worked with it though. I got the colorants in and mixed the BB Wild Rose and it smells amazing only thing is I think the top layer rices but it was so thick I just put it in, lol. If it riced is it still ok to use. I will learn to trust when to stop mixing too much, lol! I will send pics tomorrow.

Oh and the roses I piped the other day had some ash on it I forgot to spray with rubbing alcohol. I was going to scrap them but then thought about and looked at then it actually doesn't make them look to bad so i put those on top of the loaf and sprayed with rubbing alchohol. Is 91% ok to use as opposed to the 99%?

...Worst case scenario is that I put it in my mouth, poison myself, and die. Sounds like fun.
Smack Laugh.gif
You cracked me up, Nate! Thanks! I needed that.

You cracked me up, Nate! Thanks! I needed that.

Thanks, glad someone thought it was funny. I just hope that my tendency to experiment doesn't really get me into trouble at some point.

Also this about bar soap, so some deaths by soap: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30307335

I read this and had an image of old folks in the home eating bars of soap, and for some reason my first reaction was comical. Then I thought about it and most of these poor folks have dementia which is a really awful thing, and I felt like a jerk for wanting to laugh at it.

@Nate5700 thanks. Most places don't carry 99% so I was wondering.

I don't think 99% is better for soap than 91%. The amount of water in 99% is so low that it evaporates very quickly. The 70% evaporates more slowly and is considered better for disinfecting surfaces for that reason. The 91% is somewhere in between. But according to sources that make it, the 91% will remain 91% even as it evaporates, whereas while the 70% evaporates, (in the bottle for example) the concentration of alcohol in solution does change.

And it is true, it can be hard to find. I think you'd have better luck trying to find it at a store than caters to folks who do their own electronics repairs.

Thanks, glad someone thought it was funny. I just hope that my tendency to experiment doesn't really get me into trouble at some point.

I read this and had an image of old folks in the home eating bars of soap, and for some reason my first reaction was comical. Then I thought about it and most of these poor folks have dementia which is a really awful thing, and I felt like a jerk for wanting to laugh at it.

One of our members mentioned one day that she had to take soap away from her dad because it looked like food and he was eating it. Our sense of taste diminishes as we age, and it's really an issue when your sense of taste can't tell your brain that this is bad for you. And then there is the whole pica eating disorder - eating non-foods; lot's of people have pica disorders, and eating soap is one example.

Ok so here is the soap I made. I can't wait to unmold tomorrow!

Ok so here is the soap I made. I can't wait to unmold tomorrow!
I just hope it didn't rice....It looked like it but then when I cleaned the bowl it was ok..so who knows lol

Attachments

• 20190415_201524.jpg
    20190415_201524.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 45
Last edited by a moderator:
In another thread I said I'd just about made everything I need for personal care except toothpaste and I wasn't sure I wanted to make toothpaste. Sort of seriously, I was kinda creeped out by the idea of homemade toothpaste. Then @earlene linked me to a thread about tooth soap, which is apparently something people have done. I was intrigued. Now I'm doing a quick HP tooth soap experiment, a very small batch (SoapMaker said it was about $2 worth of ingredients) so not much of a risk. We'll see how it works out.

10% Shea Butter
60% Olive Oil
30% Babassu Oil

Plus a capsule of activated charcoal. I started by looking at @Misschief's recipe, but I adapted it for what I have on hand. Shea instead of cocoa butter. I doubled the olive since I don't have any peanut oil. And I used babassu instead of PKO, gives you similar fatty acids without using coconut 'cause Misschief said coconut soap tastes nasty. I also did 3.5:1 KOH:NaOH, I think the others who tried this all used NaOH and made a bar, but I'm going to try making it a paste sort of like my shave soap where I put it in a jar and rub with a damp brush to lather.

Worst case scenario is that I put it in my mouth, poison myself, and die. Sounds like fun.

Ewwwww, Nate, soap doesn't taste good! The only thing I think making toothpaste out of soap would be good for is changing the ph in the mouth temporarily. Why not just use some good ole baking soda, EV coconut oil and a little xylitol (inhibits microbes)? Dip your toothbrush in a little peroxide if you really want to wipe out the anaerobes! ;)

View attachment 38343
This was as dark as I could get it with the time I had. It was hard to get a lot of motion by the time I was ready to swirl, because I had messed with the color for so long. The final red choice was “Red Wine Mica.” I don't think I mixed enough color for the larger pour...first one I’ve done this big. We’ll see how gel treats it for the cut tomorrow. It did not accelerate. I was just slow. Thanks for the input.
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/taiwan-swirl.74696/

Ewwwww, Nate, soap doesn't taste good!

It doesn't taste good, but this particular recipe doesn't seem to taste bad either. You get a little bit of soapy taste spitting it out but other than that it's basically flavorless.

The only thing I think making toothpaste out of soap would be good for is changing the ph in the mouth temporarily.

I dunno, it's an experiment mostly. I want my teeth clean, soap cleans. The elevated pH is a bonus.

Why not just use some good ole baking soda, EV coconut oil and a little xylitol (inhibits microbes)?

I don't like baking soda on my teeth, too abrasive. It tears up my gums too. I am thinking of rebatching to add xylitol though, but maybe I'll just chew a piece of xylitol gum after every meal or something.

It doesn't taste good, but this particular recipe doesn't seem to taste bad either. You get a little bit of soapy taste spitting it out but other than that it's basically flavorless.

I dunno, it's an experiment mostly. I want my teeth clean, soap cleans. The elevated pH is a bonus.

I don't like baking soda on my teeth, too abrasive. It tears up my gums too. I am thinking of rebatching to add xylitol though, but maybe I'll just chew a piece of xylitol gum after every meal or something.

Let us know how the experiment turns out :) A couple other ingredients you could play around with are calcium carbonate and food grade vegetable glycerin. I made a viscous mixture of xylitol and food grade glycerin for a patient who had anug to help heal his gingiva, it worked along with his attention to proper HC :)

Last edited:
IMG_3323.JPG

Sooo I finally jumped in and made my first batch of Zany’s no slime castille. Added a bit of mica cause I was gonna use a mango fragrance that i needed to test since ages ago. Behaved super well both the recipe and the FO. Cant wait to test it.

Last edited by a moderator:

One thing I did learn... peanut oil doesn't taste as bad in tooth soap as coconut oil does. That's the plus. The minus is that peanut oil goes rancid fairly quickly.

Latest posts

Back