What soapy thing have you done today?

Discussion in 'Lye-Based Soap Forum' started by FlybyStardancer, Feb 12, 2014.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. Apr 13, 2019 #11,241

earlene

earlene

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper Lifetime Supporter

Is it covered in ash, Dawni? I haven't got ash on my soy wax soaps, but I was wondering if you do because it looks sort of rough on the surface.

But that color difference is amazing!

2. Apr 13, 2019 #11,242

Dawni

Dawni

Dawni

@KiwiMoose I think @earlene is right and the white is indeed ash. I was curious myself so I decided to sacrifice the side of one bar and shaved it some, trying for really thin pieces until I got to a part with significantly less ash. You can see in the pic below, I think I cut off about 2cm give or take.

The soy soap is still whiter than the lard soap, but not as white as the previous pic.
    _20190413_145034.JPG
    Why did I get ash on the sides touching the mold? And why none on the lard soap? Oh btw, I wiped both down with alcohol (I only have 70% isopropyl on hand) and it didn't help much, hence the decision to shave the soap.

I have three cubes each and these are the first, unmolded at about 20hrs. I will unmold another set after 28 and the last ones maybe at 36 and compare them to each other as well as compare lard to soy.

Terri E and KiwiSoap like this.
  3. Apr 13, 2019 #11,243

DWinMadison

DWinMadison

DWinMadison

Y’all, seriously, I have a big bag of bentonite clay that I’ve never used, so I decided to add it to this batch yesterday. I watched a lady on YouTube. She added about a tablespoon to 2 Tbsp of water whilst soft music played in the background and stirred with her stylish rectangular measuring spoon...it emulsified immediately and looked so creamy and smooth. Well, you should have seen mine—it looked like I was gonna lay brick. I finally got it sort of paste like. Only the Lord knows what its gonna look like in the soap. Also, I used about 2 Tbsp in about 5 lbs of finished soap thinking that would be conservative. See all that nice greenish white on my beautiful top swirl? Well, it’s “gone with the wind” this morning leaving it looking more like a 3rd grade art project.

Y’all got any tips and tricks for incorporating clays in CP?

Terri E, KiwiMoose and Zing like this.
  4. Apr 13, 2019 #11,244

Kari Howie

Kari Howie

Kari Howie

Lifetime Supporter

OK, I should probably know these things, but I don’t. What is DB and what is soap dough?

Aquamarine56 likes this.
  5. Apr 13, 2019 #11,245

steffamarie

steffamarie

steffamarie

My charge nurse yesterday asked if she could buy a custom soap loaf from me! She's into essential oils and wants to provide her own, so we're going to discuss what she'd like and see if I can come up with something for her. She did mention she tends to like skincare that contains beeswax, which I've never soaped with, so I'm gonna do a little research to see how to go about that.

WeaversPort and Nanette like this.
  6. Apr 13, 2019 #11,246

Marilyn Norgart

Marilyn Norgart

Marilyn Norgart

messin with my bath bomb bombs from x-mas. my son had bought me a kit that really did some weird things. I let them dry and they expanded a lot--when dry I put in baggies and threw in a drawer. today I was thinking about trying bath bombs again. took those out to see if I could re-do. didn't work but added additional EOs and some poly 80 as the one I did use the oil just sat on top of the water. the originals were lavender. I am using as powder with one batch added eucalyptus and one batch added neroli and one batch just the lavender. now I have to take a bath. if it works out I will probably send it to my other son as he takes a lot of baths and is in pain alot

7. Apr 13, 2019 #11,247

MGM

MGM

MGM

Fifth time's the charm! Cut my fifth sample batch of my soaps that seem to go white...this one not as white as the other, but the prettiest of them all. Finally! I deserve some nice-looking soap!! Scent is NDA's Red Currant and Thyme.

Attached Files:

Rune, WeaversPort, Zing and 6 others like this.
  8. Apr 13, 2019 #11,248

DWinMadison

DWinMadison

DWinMadison

Beautiful. How’s the fragrance?

MGM likes this.
  9. Apr 13, 2019 #11,249

Marilyn Norgart

Marilyn Norgart

Marilyn Norgart

that's really awesome, congrats!!!!

MGM likes this.
  10. Apr 14, 2019 #11,250

MGM

MGM

MGM

It's nice....doesn't really smell like either thyme or currant to me, but what do I know? It smells like SUCCESS.

Oh wait! I just went over to sniff it again and it's definitely fading!! I smell more soap than fragrance....interesting.....will add that to my notes.

Zing likes this.
  11. Apr 14, 2019 #11,251

DWinMadison

DWinMadison

DWinMadison

01F8DF2B-DBE0-42BE-97E8-06D4D7335512.jpeg
    Here we go... These are the last of my hotel/matchbook/hospitality soaps promised for swag bags at an upcoming convention. Before @Zing makes merciless fun of me, YES, it’s another side swirl, but there’s method to my madness. If you read this forum regularly, you may recall that I posted a few weeks ago about striving for consistency in my soaping. Well, I can now officially do this swirl in my sleep, and it’s gotten better each time.

If you look closely, you may see specs of bentonite clay in the bars...I’d still love any tips on the best way to incorporate it.

Deborah Long, KiwiMoose, Zing and 6 others like this.
  12. Apr 14, 2019 #11,252

Dawni

Dawni

Dawni

They look great! I've read people soaking their clays in water first, because they tend to absorb water (which is also why I think some people think it's the clays that accelerate trace).

I, unfortunately, have only used it in a stone soap and while I don't notice specks, even if I did I'd say it was intentional haha. I threw it in at trace for that one.

Results posted here.

I also received my delivery of Cocoa and Shea butters... And I haz indigo powder! So happy I found that hehe

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2019
    DWinMadison likes this.
  13. Apr 14, 2019 #11,253

earlene

earlene

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper Lifetime Supporter

DB in the Fragrance Oil context is Dragon's Blood by several folks here.

Soap Dough is saponified CP soap that has been kept moist so that it doesn't harden until after exposed to air. The purpose is so that designs can be in as if one is working with modeling clay. Once the sculpting is done, by exposing the soap to the open air, the evaporation of water begins and the soap will harden. We did an SMF Soap Challenge on using soap dough. Here is a link to that challenge: https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/february-smf-challenge-soap-dough.69004
    And the entry thread for that challenge: https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/february-challenge-entry-thread.69254

Within the challenge thread, there are more links about soap dough.

WeaversPort likes this.
  14. Apr 14, 2019 #11,254

Misschief

Misschief

Misschief

Supporting Member

I made two small batches of Foaming Bath Butter (Karma and Mango Sorbet) and 9 50gm tubs of solid dishwashing paste.

KiwiMoose and Terri E like this.
  15. Apr 14, 2019 #11,255

KiwiMoose

KiwiMoose

KiwiMoose

Nice work MGM! The fragrance sounds like it would 'match' the look of the soap too. :)

I finally got round to making some little soap bars to put my little soapy flower and leaf embeds on. I think they look rather cute. Combo fragrance (I do a lot of those, depending on what's in the cupboard) Jasmine, Bergamot & Neroli FOs, with Sweet Orange and May Change EOs:
    IMG_0941.jpeg IMG_0942.jpeg

16. Apr 14, 2019 #11,256

Lin19687

Lin19687

Lin19687

I made small temp stamps yesterday to mark my boxes with the old recipe. Then stamps a bunch of boxes, folded and put soap in them.... All while watching TV so not too bad.

Need to do more today

17. Apr 14, 2019 #11,257

LadySarah370

LadySarah370

LadySarah370

How did I do? First time piping soap roses...

Attached Files:

Deborah Long and KiwiMoose like this.
  18. Apr 14, 2019 #11,258

Kari Howie

Kari Howie

Kari Howie

Lifetime Supporter

Earlene, thank you for enlightening me. I actually have some DB, but it didn’t click in my mind. And thanks for the soap dough links!

Aquamarine56 and earlene like this.
  19. Apr 14, 2019 #11,259

Dawni

Dawni

Dawni

Very cute, @KiwiMoose!

I think you did great, especially coz it's your first time. I wouldn't have thought it otherwise :)

20. Apr 14, 2019 #11,260

Chris_S

Chris_S

Chris_S

Well did my first soapy thing in nearly 2 months now and washed all the dishes up and yes they had just been sitting for 2 months as thats last time i had the motivation to soap and have recently been concentrating on candles and melts instead. So now iv found the motivation to clean im going to tidy the crafting desk up after writing a new recipe with soy wax in make up the lye solution while its cooling ill tidy the desk then ill get to work on making some soap :dance: dont think ill be doing any fancy designs as i want to make it as simple as possible for the first time i use soy wax. WELCOME BACK TO ME lol

DWinMadison, Zing, Dawni and 5 others like this.