What soapy thing have you done today?

Discussion in 'Lye-Based Soap Forum' started by FlybyStardancer, Feb 12, 2014.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. Apr 11, 2019 #11,221

SeattleMartin

SeattleMartin

SeattleMartin

Supporting Member

Well it was just fat when I got it, I had to make tallow from it. (Tallow and lard are what is rendered from the fat.) And then you have suet, and,.... You're right, it is confusing and as far as I care you can just say fat and it will always be correct ;) Incidentally, I have friends in Norway, Sweden and Netherlands. We sometimes love to compare notes on how difficult language is :D
    Looks like Meena has some great tips there. I was planning to use some earthy fragrances to help cover the scent of the deer tallow. We cleaned it up as best as possible but it still has a bit of an odor (I actually have a pretty sensitive nose myself) that I can only describe as "gamey." If you're familiar with wild game, you know that smell. I grew up around hunters so I'm somewhat accustomed to it.

As for soapy things today... here is a picture of laundry soap (100% CO, 0.5% SF) that went volcanic. It was a pretty minor eruption, I would say. We made this batch last night, our first time doing it in our 2lb loaf mold. I only made it once before and molded it in small thin cardboard boxes lined with plastic. I think I will use small molds again next time. soapVolcano.jpg

Meena, Rune and Dawni like this.
  2. Apr 11, 2019 #11,222

Hils67

Hils67

Hils67

BD51B2C9-AC9A-45BF-81EE-4F3F6A8562DC.jpeg
    I actually left out the FO for the yellow and red, as I thought it might discolour...so next time I thought if I coloured my main batch (with the DB in) brown and left the DB out of the swirling colours then I should end up with the same-ish colour as the first cut and cured bar. Ie work with the brown tinge rather than against it.

This is how it looks right now ...a bit blotchy, still smells gorgeous though :nodding:

3. Apr 12, 2019 #11,223

Dawni

Dawni

Dawni

@Rune and @Meena.. I added white kaolin clay at emulsion both times I tried it in CP.

I had other colors and the white (and incidentally also the black) became much thicker than the other colors faster, even when I mixed by hand.

Soapy thing:
    Soy wax experiment going on right now!

Meena, Rune and KiwiMoose like this.
  4. Apr 12, 2019 #11,224

earlene

earlene

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper Lifetime Supporter

I am not DWMadison, but here's what you do with that sort of set up:
    Pour different colors (or different ITP's or whatever design one chooses) into different sized circles. While the soap is still wet, one carefully removes the circles, doing best not to disrupt the design. Leave the soap to saponify and the result maintains the design. Here is one example of a soap using such a method: https://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-body-tutorials/cold-process-soap/rainbow-cold-process/

Here's another one by Auntie Clara: https://auntieclaras.com/2014/08/intentional-crop-circles-water-discount-as-a-design-tool/

DWinMadison and KiwiSoap like this.
  5. Apr 12, 2019 #11,225

Rune

Rune

Rune

@Meena, I have tried both high and low water. High water and I got glycerin rivers. Low water, well, I did that because it has some advantages. You will minimize the risk of glycerin rivers, and it is said to slow trace, and less water to evaporate later. Some say the opposite, water reductions means rapid thickening and more water means more fluidity. I don't know, I have found that my soap thickened just as bad with lots of water than with like 40% lye solution. Did not slow anything, and did not speed more than it already did in the first place.

Now I will have a new recipe, and I will try both high and low water to see the effect, and also kaolin added both to oils or at trace, to see what happens. I don't want to add it to the lye solution. I really like to add as much as possible to the oils or the water for the lye solution, so that I can prepare almost everything upfront. I'm afraid of forgetting to add this and that if I have to add it at trace. So I normally avoid that.

Meena likes this.
  6. Apr 12, 2019 #11,226

Kafayat Adebowale oyeniyi

Is it ok.to.use Clay's to colour soap dought.....I ain't a mica fan at allll

Rune likes this.
  7. Apr 12, 2019 #11,227

Rune

Rune

Rune

@SeattleMartin Yes, I know the gamey smell. It is not necessary unpleasant at all. But I'm not so sure if I want too much of it in soap. I think there must be a way to refine and deodorize the tallow. I will investigate and see if I can find something clever. I know from Youtube it must be rendered at a very low temperature to minimize smell. And the best is to grind it up first, then the rendering will go quicker, and I think it will minimize smell as well. I think I will use the crockpot, just because it is easy and low-temp.

I will let you know if I find and easy refining process.

SeattleMartin likes this.
  8. Apr 12, 2019 #11,228

Rune

Rune

Rune

@SeattleMartin I found this from @IrishLass :

9. Apr 12, 2019 #11,229

SeattleMartin

SeattleMartin

SeattleMartin

Supporting Member

@Rune Excellent! Thanks so much :D

Rune likes this.
  10. Apr 12, 2019 #11,230

Pat McGlothlin

Pat McGlothlin

Pat McGlothlin

Colorado Gal in Arizona Supporting Member

My husband might agree with the "keep(ing) me sane" part but not so much the "cheaper than therapy" part. But it's a whole lot more fun than complaining to a stranger and you've got something tangible to show for your efforts.

Hils67, Terri E, Nanette and 4 others like this.
  11. Apr 12, 2019 #11,231

katemz

katemz

katemz

Supporting Member

Thank you I made it a flat cut to show off the swirls.Used crinkle on my happy face soap cocoa soap. IMG_20190404_081539_064.jpeg

Hils67, Terri E, Nanette and 9 others like this.
  12. Apr 12, 2019 #11,232

earlene

earlene

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper Lifetime Supporter

They are beautiful, katemz. Just gorgeous looking!

13. Apr 13, 2019 #11,233

DWinMadison

DWinMadison

DWinMadison

600399D0-C297-4998-B779-ECFBF68EE460.jpeg Long, stressful week at the hospital, so I came home and unwound by making a quick loaf of soap. Just put this puppy to bed. More tomorrow....

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    Terri E, Nanette, Zing and 6 others like this.
  14. Apr 13, 2019 #11,234

DWinMadison

DWinMadison

DWinMadison

Beautiful...the crinkle cuts were a great choice too.

15. Apr 13, 2019 #11,235

Marilyn Norgart

Marilyn Norgart

Marilyn Norgart

I found and made what I think will be my go to bath bar--now just need to see how long it takes to dry. I tried the end piece and the bubbles were awesome--I used apple rose scent from BB what a lovely scent.
    I have been thinking about making soap all day but wanted to get the bath bars down first--I miss making soap. and I have been busy trying to get the label thing down. and of course I re-organized all my soap stuff again

Zing, Dawni and Zany_in_CO like this.
  16. Apr 13, 2019 #11,236

atiz

atiz

atiz

Tried out my 2-week old gardening soap today. Half scrubby, half smooth with some menthol added. Earthy smell. So far so good.

IMG_5050.jpg

Terri E, Zing, Dawni and 4 others like this.
  17. Apr 13, 2019 #11,237

Dawni

Dawni

Dawni

Clays are actually a good choice as far as natural colorants go. They tend to stick around more than plant powders or infusions is what I've learned, but alas, they are too expensive for me for now and some aren't available here.

I'd give it a go if I had access, I'm not liking my few experiences with mica either.

I unmolded a bar each this morning, of my soy wax vs. lard experiment, and left the rest in the mold.

I wanted to see if I could catch unmolding it too soon, and see what the outcome would be.

Right off the bat, unmolding was easier and slightly cleaner for the lard soap compared to the soy wax soap.

Here's a sneak peak but I'll be posting more pics and an initial comparison later in the gallery after I've unmolded the rest.

Edit: soy wax soap on the left, lard soap on the right
    _20190413_134639.JPG

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    Hils67, Zing, atiz and 1 other person like this.
  18. Apr 13, 2019 #11,238

KiwiMoose

KiwiMoose

KiwiMoose

Which is which?

19. Apr 13, 2019 #11,239

Dawni

Dawni

Dawni

Sorry haha.. soy wax soap is the whiter on the left, lard soap is on the right.

KiwiMoose likes this.
  20. Apr 13, 2019 #11,240

KiwiMoose

KiwiMoose

KiwiMoose

Gosh - it's very white! Mine is never that white.