What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep HP. I always add part of my water hot after the cook for fluidity. Not much, maybe if I was using 3:1 lye ratio for example I'll reserve 0.7 and only mix the 2.3 with the lye. The water also helps with additives. I dump my rice and coconu milk powders in there too.

Mine smells nice too.. Like a caramel-ly something hehehe

I used some kinda fruity beer that was my kids before he moved--I gotta go thru the garbage to find the bottle cuz it smells so good. I don't remember if I took the garbage out since then but I probably did

so how are you using this in your soap? just asking cuz when I used the beer I let it sit out for a couple days uncovered and used as the water at 100%--I just made it last week and have used the end and its awesome and smells great. I have a stout to use cuz I want a darker bar but am looking for different input on how to use it
I did the same as you, but instead of letting it sit out, I just let it simmer for about 40 minutes to get rid of bubbles. Used it as full water once cooled ( with the exception of a couple of distilled water ice cubes I added to cool it down).
The cuts were made with a kitchen knife and a good eye ;). There are two sizes - I cut the whole thing into quarters first, and then some of those quarters I cut into 4, and others i cut into 3. I'm thinking i might trim the pointy end off so that it's a little bit blunt - it's susceptible to damage the way it is.
I got this mould from an Australian company called Peters of Kensington - look them up!
My friend thought it looked like the 'Karma' soap from Lush - which is done the same way in big round mould and then cut into wedges. That was my favourite soap before i started making, maybe I should have a stab at making my own?

so how are you using this in your soap? just asking cuz when I used the beer I let it sit out for a couple days uncovered and used as the water at 100%--I just made it last week and have used the end and its awesome and smells great. I have a stout to use cuz I want a darker bar but am looking for different input on how to use it

I boiled down my beer. First to half volume and then a lil more just to see what it's like lol then I added it after my cook again slightly diluted and heated (kinda counter productive though lol).
More soapers with self-control like @KiwiMoose! Just to over-share here, I just don't view alcohol as a soap ingredient! :) But when I'm shopping, I view many objects as potential molds!

More soapers with self-control like @KiwiMoose! Just to over-share here, I just don't view alcohol as a soap ingredient! :) But when I'm shopping, I view many objects as potential molds!
Lol well.. The bottle was just sitting there. And it wasn't one I'd prefer to drink and was probably bought with someone else's moolah so... Haha

I'm the same with potential molds. Additives too, especially known colorants or with skin benefits.

Unmolded the rebatched soaps. Bright pink coz I spilled neon mica. For sure my mom's gonna claim them as hers lol
_20190321_122157.JPG

Also fondled the rest of the soaps, checking for changes in hardness, color, texture and scent changes. Made additional notes as some are very near 2mos of cure.

I have made soap today, and it thickened as usual. The design was not as planned, but it looks sort of allraight after having a peak when peeling the wax cloth of the sides. The unusual is that it actually smell good! First I did not like it. Because it got me, when I spilled fragrance oil all over and you name it. But when I enter the room where the soap is, it smells nice. I can definately smell a strong cinnamon, which is strange, it is not mentionen in the description of the scent named Petra (Smokey and creamy, a sweet vanilla combination of black pepper and tobacco flower with middle notes of tonka bean, red apple and fig on a base of dark chocolate and patchouli). Now when I found what it is supposed to smell like, I had to double check by running into the room. I smell cinnamon or cinnamon-ish, but also something else I can't describe. Smokey vanilla, perhaps. No, I'm not good at such things.

It does not look too bad either. Colors are strong and defined. It will be a blob on top of blob design instead of Clyde slide, but yes, that's how it is. Most people will probably think I did a fancy design on purpose, planned for weeks. Exept from soapmakers, who most probably can tell immediately that I had a hurry getting a rapidly thickening soap in the mold. Yes, well, blob soaps are definately not the worst that can happen, no. So regardless of my many failures today, which is absolutely usual around here, I can call todays soapmaking a success! It could have been worse. That I know for sure. For example I have one soap that looks like a piece of boiled meat. Another seized so badly I had to push hard to get it in the mold. So yes, today was definately a success. A little too soon to judge, but I'm pretty sure the soap will be bubbly and nice, since the recipe I used was not very different from another successful soap.

I have not made soap since... well, I don't remember, but it is many months ago. Autumn last year, or so. So it was good to finally have a go at it again, but also exhausting (I think I stress way more than necessary).

It's a busy soap day for me.

I washed the tops of my last batch of soap to get rid of the soda ash. It should be ready to use in about a week.

I plan to make more soap later this evening.

And I started moving my soap stuff into the Soap Lair, also known as the laundry room.
Awesome I'm not alone in making lil soap office in the laundry room. [emoji16]

I think it is so cool that you have a large enough laundry room to make a soaping lair in there! My laundry room is about the size of a small bathroom, although my smallest bathroom isn't even as big as I would normally call a small bathroom. It's more the size of a medium sized closet.

I unmolded what I call soap cakes! I used a recipe that called for coconut milk and I had success, except I overblended and ended up with a really thick trace. So I traded my pretty swirl idea for 'icing' and I frosted the creamy coloured bars with batter coloured with turmeric. I am a new soaper and the photo shows all the batches I have made so far (except for batches one and two which are uncoloured and unremarkable looking - but really nice soaps!).
soap.jpg

I took photos of soap, with the intention to post them on this forum. I should never have done. I borrowed my dad's phone, since it have a great camera. Pictures were clear, nice. But then, it was impossible to transfer them to my Macbook. Direct wired connedtion did not work, Bluetooth doesn't work, mail the same, MMS exactly the same. Error, error all over. I have found out that Apple have blocked other brands, so if you own a Macbook and a Samsung phone, then you will be forced to buy an Iphone. There can't be other explanations. Whatever I put in my USB ports pops up on the screen, even cheap chinese crap bought from Aliexpress, but not that Samsung phone, no. I guess that is how Apple deal with competitors.

Apple made me go online and looking for a newer Iphone than the old piece of antique I have. So it works. They did force me into buying a new phone. But I will not, I will buy a second hand one.

So no soap pictures today, no. I have a third camera without batteries. A big DSLR. If modern technology can't manage to take pictures of a simple soap and it get transfered into my computer, I have to get up on the attic and collect my big guns. I will probably mess that up as well, since it has a complicated menu with settings I don't really understand.

Point and shoot and wireless transfer everywhere, why is that so difficult? They sent people to the moon in the 60's, and today the simplest of tasks are not technologically possible. Are the world going backwards?

I took photos of soap, with the intention to post them on this forum. I should never have done. I borrowed my dad's phone, since it have a great camera. Pictures were clear, nice. But then, it was impossible to transfer them to my Macbook. Direct wired connedtion did not work, Bluetooth doesn't work, mail the same, MMS exactly the same. Error, error all over. I have found out that Apple have blocked other brands, so if you own a Macbook and a Samsung phone, then you will be forced to buy an Iphone. There can't be other explanations. Whatever I put in my USB ports pops up on the screen, even cheap chinese crap bought from Aliexpress, but not that Samsung phone, no. I guess that is how Apple deal with competitors.

Apple made me go online and looking for a newer Iphone than the old piece of antique I have. So it works. They did force me into buying a new phone. But I will not, I will buy a second hand one.

So no soap pictures today, no. I have a third camera without batteries. A big DSLR. If modern technology can't manage to take pictures of a simple soap and it get transfered into my computer, I have to get up on the attic and collect my big guns. I will probably mess that up as well, since it has a complicated menu with settings I don't really understand.

Point and shoot and wireless transfer everywhere, why is that so difficult? They sent people to the moon in the 60's, and today the simplest of tasks are not technologically possible. Are the world going backwards?
I don't know if it works on an iPhone but, on my Samsung, I sync all my photos to my OneDrive. If you have Google Drive, DropBox, or any cloud storage app, you should be able to sync your photos. Then, they'll be available wherever you have computer access to your drive.

Thank you @Misschief! That is a serious great tip! That should work just perfect! I do have DropBox and iCloud. I don't use any of them anymore, but I can find the passwords, or make a new cloud storage account somewhere. Thank you again :)

Latest posts

Back