What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After a couple of weeks to focus on the not-soap parts of getting ready to sell soap, I went back into the soap dungeon.

My INTENT was a small test batch. I had a new mica I wanted to put through its paces, and wanted to play around with a color combination that's been itching in the back of my mind.

And well, I had a bunch of scraps I needed to do something with, so a few soap balls sounded like a good idea.

And then I accidentally two loaves of soap.

Whoops.

View attachment 37148
Those are two mighty fine 'accidental' loaves of soap ;)

Made two batches of soap this weekend. I made a one pound batch for a co-worker that's been bugging me for some lavender scented soap. Divided the batch in half and did a ghost swirl. Turned out less ghosty than anticipated, but I like it.

The other batch was almost a disaster. I had a sample of BB's Vanilla Oak I had received from a recent order. I checked the label and it said it discolored to brown. I decided to roll with it and added some olive leaf powder and a little kaolin clay hoping for a nice rich brown color. What I didn't know (as it was not on the sample's LABEL, what that it accelerates CP soap like crazy (as I learned after the fact looking it up on the website). And they don't lie - I had exactly 10 seconds after I added the lye to get that bad boy into the mold. After two seconds of the SB I said a dirty word and grabbed the mold and scooped like mad! Barely avoided soap on a stick by 5 seconds. It went through gel phase over the next 30 minutes, and I kid you not, I was cutting into blocks in 2 hours LOL!

Lesson learned - always look up and don't rely on the labels.

View attachment 37168
Lavender

View attachment 37170
Vanilla Oak
I really like your lavender one, and the Vanilla Oak looks and sounds lovely - very 'Vanilla Oakey'. So lucky you managed to get it into the mould in time.

I had similar 'issues' today when I attempted to make an ombre soap - starting with one colour in the base, moving through to natural, and then through to a different colour on the top. I used too much mica! So the first colour in the bottom was very solid colour - and as i added more and more of the natural soap to lighten it, it pretty much stayed the same colour. Meanwhile the batter was at thick trace so as for trying to 'pour' layers into the mold, it was more like a plop, plop and spread with the spatula. It was supposed to be a gentle colour palette, but I fear it will look like traffic lights when cut (solid bars of colour too - no graduation). BUT if you can get past the hideousness of the colours, I have to say that the fragrance is TO DIE FOR! I will be buying again - Candle Science Plumeria. I mixed 50% of that with 30% May Chang and 20% Orange (the citrus to try and slow trace - HAH!)

That sounded like mine.. Plop plop and some farts when the air pockets were popped hahaha

I'm sure it'll look fine @KiwiMoose. In fact, since this is a trend, it'll continue and your soap will surprise you like ours, and it'll be awesome ;)

Here are my soaps from last night. They are a very modified bastille, 48% olive oil, with Zany's faux seawater, my first time using shea butter (15%), and the first soap with no coconut oil at all. I added some sugar for bubbles.

I had an unexpected change of plan from the loaf mold and a "secret" flower or design of some kind, to individual silicone molds which I CPOP'd, so they aren't much to look at, but they are Mine! :D

20190304_3-3 batch backside 191959-1.jpg

my picture is upside down :(

20190304_3-3 batch 193946-1.jpg

I had fun making up the blue color, and put some Indigo hair powder in with the micas, TD, and pigment powder. (I used to paint in oils and acrylics.)

20190303_3-3 colors 190804.jpg

Last edited:
I made a couple of batches today (and prepped two for tomorrow!). One is just a basic soap (no color, no fragrance) with my favorite recipe to test out aloe juice as the water. The other is a soap I've been planning for a while! I started making soap dough in various colors around the beginning of Feb and I finally put them to use (nearly used up all my blue for the stone challenge though!). I'll post the cut in the gallery tomorrow :) For now you get to see this nondescript slightly glittery black soap top. It's scented with All Souls Day from Nurture, absolutely amazing! I can't stop sniffing it :D
32343904437_6c4835a299_o.jpg
32343905057_00fd04f1ab_o.jpg

I made a couple of batches today (and prepped two for tomorrow!). One is just a basic soap (no color, no fragrance) with my favorite recipe to test out aloe juice as the water. The other is a soap I've been planning for a while! I started making soap dough in various colors around the beginning of Feb and I finally put them to use (nearly used up all my blue for the stone challenge though!). I'll post the cut in the gallery tomorrow :) For now you get to see this nondescript slightly glittery black soap top. It's scented with All Souls Day from Nurture, absolutely amazing! I can't stop sniffing it :D View attachment 37179 View attachment 37178
I use aloe juice in place of half the water and love it!

I really like your lavender one, and the Vanilla Oak looks and sounds lovely - very 'Vanilla Oakey'. So lucky you managed to get it into the mould in time.

I had similar 'issues' today when I attempted to make an ombre soap - starting with one colour in the base, moving through to natural, and then through to a different colour on the top. I used too much mica! So the first colour in the bottom was very solid colour - and as i added more and more of the natural soap to lighten it, it pretty much stayed the same colour. Meanwhile the batter was at thick trace so as for trying to 'pour' layers into the mold, it was more like a plop, plop and spread with the spatula. It was supposed to be a gentle colour palette, but I fear it will look like traffic lights when cut (solid bars of colour too - no graduation). BUT if you can get past the hideousness of the colours, I have to say that the fragrance is TO DIE FOR! I will be buying again - Candle Science Plumeria. I mixed 50% of that with 30% May Chang and 20% Orange (the citrus to try and slow trace - HAH!)

I had all kinds of trouble with the Plumeria scent I bought but I love the smell so I bought more--now I will have to figure out what to do with it--whatever it is I am gonna have to be fast cuz it rices.

I made a couple of batches today (and prepped two for tomorrow!). One is just a basic soap (no color, no fragrance) with my favorite recipe to test out aloe juice as the water. The other is a soap I've been planning for a while! I started making soap dough in various colors around the beginning of Feb and I finally put them to use (nearly used up all my blue for the stone challenge though!). I'll post the cut in the gallery tomorrow :) For now you get to see this nondescript slightly glittery black soap top. It's scented with All Souls Day from Nurture, absolutely amazing! I can't stop sniffing it :D View attachment 37179 View attachment 37178

interesting--I love the design on the plain bar!!

Here are my soaps from last night. They are a very modified bastille, 48% olive oil, with Zany's faux seawater, my first time using shea butter (15%), and the first soap with no coconut oil at all. I added some sugar for bubbles.

I had an unexpected change of plan from the loaf mold and a "secret" flower or design of some kind, to individual silicone molds which I CPOP'd, so they aren't much to look at, but they are Mine! :D

View attachment 37180

View attachment 37181

I had fun making up the blue color, and put some Indigo hair powder in with the micas, TD, and pigment powder. (I used to paint in oils and acrylics.)

View attachment 37182

very very pretty Meena!!!

Made two batches of soap this weekend. I made a one pound batch for a co-worker that's been bugging me for some lavender scented soap. Divided the batch in half and did a ghost swirl. Turned out less ghosty than anticipated, but I like it.

The other batch was almost a disaster. I had a sample of BB's Vanilla Oak I had received from a recent order. I checked the label and it said it discolored to brown. I decided to roll with it and added some olive leaf powder and a little kaolin clay hoping for a nice rich brown color. What I didn't know (as it was not on the sample's LABEL, what that it accelerates CP soap like crazy (as I learned after the fact looking it up on the website). And they don't lie - I had exactly 10 seconds after I added the lye to get that bad boy into the mold. After two seconds of the SB I said a dirty word and grabbed the mold and scooped like mad! Barely avoided soap on a stick by 5 seconds. It went through gel phase over the next 30 minutes, and I kid you not, I was cutting into blocks in 2 hours LOL!

Lesson learned - always look up and don't rely on the labels.

View attachment 37168
Lavender

View attachment 37170
Vanilla Oak

Nice color with the plum one and vanilla oak is such a pretty scent isn't it? I got a sample of it with my first order from BB too

Last edited by a moderator:
Unmolded unscented and uncolored faux sea water bars. The color is an unappealing off white.

One of the edges broke off from sticking to the cavity mold. Will try oiling mold next time. I wonder if only minersl oil is acceptable for greasing molds.

I use aloe juice in place of half the water and love it!

That's good to hear. It sure is more expensive than distilled water! I hope I love it too. I use very low coconut (only 10%), so anything I can use to increase the suds is probably worth it :)

interesting--I love the design on the plain bar!!

Thanks. I used a little plastic medicine cup. When I make these plain bars, I HAVE to do something distinctive to the top otherwise I'll get them all mixed up. I snap a pic and add it to my notes, but I never put labels on the drying rack....one of these days I'm probably going to regret that :D

Just added the cut of the black soap to the gallery :)

Last edited:
Made two batches of salt bars after having re-read the "what do you like about salt bars" thread https://here/ - - i realized the first time i read it i only absorbed about 15% - so TODAY i followed all the fabulous advice. (Thank you to all who shared!!)

WHILE I was soaping in listened to the fabulous Ted Radio Hour - and in particular the episode "Gender, Power and Fairness"

It is simply fabulous and so very thought provoking. I invite you to explore it, no matter which gender you are or identify with. (Hope this is OK to say? Mods, please tell me if I have crossed a line!)

Thank you for considering. And thank you SO MUCH to you all for all your generously shared advice!

https://www.npr.org/programs/ted-radio-hour/689483208/gender-power-and-fairness

Unmolded unscented and uncolored faux sea water bars. The color is an unappealing off white.

One of the edges broke off from sticking to the cavity mold. Will try oiling mold next time. I wonder if only minersl oil is acceptable for greasing molds.
That's a lot of 'un's in one sentence. :)

View attachment 37180

View attachment 37181

View attachment 37182
I love that mould with the imprint. Very nice!

Last edited by a moderator:

Iv not tried aloe juice but iv tried aloe vera gel as half the water and its made a really nice bar of soap only used it the once but plan on using it more often. Are you planning on using aloe juice as all or just part of the water?

I don't NEED to make soap tonight, but I WANT to make soap, and can justify it by saying that two of my "old stock" soap are now out of stock, so replacing them with one soap is not hoarding... or something like that... Tonight's soap will be Pear Oatmeal Buttermilk and Honey soap. I'm going to use the same design I used in the HIWTK soap, but with gold, green and natural rather than gold, silver and natural colors. It should be wonderful. And then I have to do dishes... sigh. It's a never ending cycle.

Latest posts

Back