What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These are my HP soaps from yesterday. I add 1 TBSP PPO yogurt at the end of my HP to help with fluidity. This time, I mixed it with my EOs and superfats before adding. The round bars were the remaining batter put in PVC pipe. Not bad detail from the etched molds for an HP soap... I was going to do more, color and swirl-wise, but I usually break down at the last minute. :oops: Still new at this (my 7th soaps), but with Ms. Kiwi on the forum also supposedly being a new soaper just a few weeks (?) ahead of me, that's not much of a functioning excuse any more. :p

View attachment 35859 View attachment 35858
I absolutely love these - a most successful batch.

I have been wondering about the ambient temp. It's winter here (mostly in the 50's, this is Not winter, people!!) and I'm guessing the apartment is around 68 F, on average. The lye wasn't room temp but probably about 10 - 20 degrees cooler than the oils, not sure. Didn't think about taking the lye temp because 'it is what it is' -- it's not like you're gonna heat the lye up on the stove!! :D I just thought I'd have more temperature control in a pan than in a slow cooker.
I don't take temps. I hover my hand to gauge lol
These are my HP soaps from yesterday. I add 1 TBSP PPO yogurt at the end of my HP to help with fluidity. This time, I mixed it with my Sweet Orange, Patchouli, and Ylang Ylang Extra EOs and superfats before adding. The round bars were the remaining batter put in PVC pipe. Not bad detail from the etched molds for an HP soap...

I was going to do more, color and swirl-wise, but I usually break down at the last minute. :oops: Still new at this (my 7th soaps), but with Ms. Kiwi on the forum also supposedly being a new soaper just a few weeks (?) ahead of me, that's not much of a functioning excuse any more. :p

View attachment 35859 View attachment 35858
Those are awesome! Like seriously! I love seeing pretty HP soaps.. I seriously need to stock up on yogurt.

May I ask where you got your recipe? I have seen some on Soapee and other sites and have been pondering which to pursue.

Hi Clarice, I just wanted to respond to your question about recipes... I don't recall if you have made any soap(s) yet. This isn't for a first batch, or is it? There are a lot of recipes here, randomly placed in threads and in the Beginners Forum, and you could try any that look interesting. Do you know how to use a lye calculator? Do you know what qualities you want in your soap? Then I or anyone else can help direct you a little better. <3

Hi Meena! I have made about 6 batches so far. In fact I just finished a true Soleseife (not salt bar). I have made from various sites: (my memory of site - could be wrong!)

100% Olive Oil Castile Liquid Soap (Oh the things we will make)
Double Butter Soap (Humblebee and me)
Easy whipped soap (Humblebee and Me)
The "easy basic recipe" from this site - sorry cannot remember the thread
Mango Butter Soap (brain fart from where)
and a couple others that brain fart has taken away :)

I NEED TO START DOCUMENTING!!!

I like silky bubbles, and superfatting

I just got some Tussah silk, as I have read that dissolving it in the lye water (a tiny bit) gives super silky suds.

Later Gator, and thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Hi Meena! I have made about 6 batches so far. In fact I just finished a true Soleseife (not salt bar). I have made from various sites: (my memory of site - could be wrong!)

I NEED TO START DOCUMENTING!!!

I like silky bubbles, and superfatting
I just got some Tussah silk, as I have read that dissolving it in the lye water (a tiny bit) gives super silky suds.
Later Gator, and thanks in advance for any suggestions!

So we are neck & neck. :) I like a creamy lather with peripheral, med-light bubbles. The main 'bubbles' oil -- coconut -- is too stripping for me now. I use 20% max and take whatever bubbles I get. I always use castor, which ups the creamy lather. I only SF between 1% and 3%, just enough to ensure all the lye has something to react with, plus some 'head room'. Based on these differences, you probably wouldn't like any of my recipes. There are many here, though. Just remember to run them through a lye calculator!

Never tried the silk, but it sure does sound interesting. Let us know how that goes. I made a soleseife, too -- aren't they Fun?!?

Last edited:
So we are neck & neck. :) I like a creamy lather with peripheral, med-light bubbles. The main 'bubbles' oil -- coconut -- is too stripping for me now. I use 20% max and take whatever bubbles I get. I always use castor, which ups the creamy lather. I only SF between 1% and 3%, just enough to ensure all the lye has something to react with, plus some 'head room'. Based on these differences, you probably wouldn't like any of my recipes. There are many here, though. Just remember to run them through a lye calculator!

Never tried the silk, but it sure does sound interesting. Let us know how that goes. I made a soleseife, too -- aren't they Fun?!?

I put together a recipe think it was last week that i called bubbles galore hoping it would do just that create lots of bubbles i made it in the hope of it helping my friend who hand washes alot the idea being bubbles make people think its cleaning while being gentle because when she washes too much she gets sore and bleeding hands she refuses to see me when its bad but i am hoping that it might avoid this happening rather than to cure anything stopping it before it gets to that point would be the aim. Waffling a little here. Do you want the recipe to try seems nice at between a week and 2 of curing?

I seriously need to stock up on yogurt.

Don't stock up on yogurt, it will go bad in a month or so, and you only use a TBSP per PPO. You don't make that many soaps, do you? :)

I put together a recipe think it was last week that i called bubbles galore hoping it would do just that create lots of bubbles i made it in the hope of it helping my friend who hand washes alot the idea being bubbles make people think its cleaning while being gentle because when she washes too much she gets sore and bleeding hands she refuses to see me when its bad but i am hoping that it might avoid this happening rather than to cure anything stopping it before it gets to that point would be the aim. Waffling a little here. Do you want the recipe to try seems nice at between a week and 2 of curing?

What is the source of the bubbles? If it's high coconut, you will have to count me out. Also, if it's high coconut, it won't stop her from cracking, and might make her worse. I would keep that 'cleansing' number down around 11 or 12 for your friend.

wow that is amazing--have you cut it yet? I have been having a hard time keeping up with this site lately

Not sure anyone knows who you're talking to, hon. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the source of the bubbles? If it's high coconut, you will have to count me out. Also, if it's high coconut, it won't stop her from cracking, and might make her worse. I would keep that 'cleansing' number down around 11 or 12 for your friend.

Coconut is 25 and 10 for castor. Cant remember what numbers were like i wouldnt class 25% as high though but upto you.

Just made these pleased so far they are tucked away in bed. Hanger tool is due tomorrow not wednesday as first expected. So may try that out tomorrow or maybe today would be more appropriate as its now 1.30am

Going to have to order some more lye only got about 5 batches left lost the flaming discount voucher though

Attachments

• 20190205_005959.jpg
    20190205_005959.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 20190205_005955.jpg
    20190205_005955.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 20190205_005950.jpg
    20190205_005950.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 29
So out of sheer laziness - I discovered I don’t need to cut new freezer paper with every soap batch. I was able to reuse the paper with no adverse affects. I’m not sure I’m willing to go for 3 but it’s nice to know I can save some time and paper when making soap! That’s a win in my book!

So out of sheer laziness - I discovered I don’t need to cut new freezer paper with every soap batch. I was able to reuse the paper with no adverse affects. I’m not sure I’m willing to go for 3 but it’s nice to know I can save some time and paper when making soap! That’s a win in my book!

Hahaha, I discovered the same thing a couple weeks ago! ! It made me Very happy!! :D

So you don't tear the bejeezus out of it when you take it off then? ;-)

20190205_075234.jpg
Made a batch of soap today, my go-to recipe but with apricot kernel oil. Blue mica and cocoa powder, in the pot swirl. Rosemary/bergamot and splashes of fir needle and cedarwood essential oils.

And a bit of drama that unbeknownst to me, a paper napkin was stuck to the bottom of the soap pot and started a little fire when I turned on the gas burner. Yikeskers! No lasting damage but a lot of scrubbing....
Unmolded last night but waited til this morning to cut. I'm not fishing for compliments here but I'm disappointed in this batch. I don't think it gelled which I wanted. I soaped at the lowest temp (near room temp) I ever have and wonder if that affected gel. In the first hour, mold did not feel warm so I put on a heat register overnight. BUT it smells wonderful!

View attachment 35898 Unmolded last night but waited til this morning to cut. I'm not fishing for compliments here but I'm disappointed in this batch. I don't think it gelled which I wanted. I soaped at the lowest temp (near room temp) I ever have and wonder if that affected gel. In the first hour, mold did not feel warm so I put on a heat register overnight. BUT it smells wonderful!
I like your colours. If you want it to gel, one thing you could do is preheat your oven to about 150ºF and turn it off just before you put you soap in. Leave it overnight.

Don't stock up on yogurt, it will go bad in a month or so, and you only use a TBSP per PPO. You don't make that many soaps, do you? :)
Oh don't worry, we'll eat the excess lol
View attachment 35898 Unmolded last night but waited til this morning to cut. I'm not fishing for compliments here but I'm disappointed in this batch. I don't think it gelled which I wanted. I soaped at the lowest temp (near room temp) I ever have and wonder if that affected gel. In the first hour, mold did not feel warm so I put on a heat register overnight. BUT it smells wonderful!
Sorry it didn't turn out the way you wanted it to, but hey, it's really pretty soap and it smelling wonderful is a plus :)
End cuts of latest batches :D
Niiice! Dustin's gonna say those are "iger" and "jeba" soaps hehehe

Latest posts

Back