What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So - I was in bed last night and realized that my “Black and Tan” soap was poured wrong! I have the colors opposite of what a beer would be like! The foam should be in the top - not the bottom. Oh, well! I still like how it turned out and it did develop glycerin rivers but I think they look pretty cool in this soap.

View attachment 35834
I like it! And the glycerin rivers look really cool! Almost like you swirled intentionally.

how do you swirl when its thick enough to glop? I have had a mottled bar from HP. I am just wondering how thin it has to be to swirl. this soap was HP. but I don't consider it swirlingView attachment 35831
Most of my soaps look like stone haha won't call it a swirl either more like a mix only hehe

But.. I calculate for full water and leave some for after the cook. Mix my lye with just a tad more than 1:1. It makes it fluid enough for a bit so you can do simple swirls.

Try yogurt love.. Works wonders for fluidity. I didn't have any on hand for all my soaps and there's a noticeable difference. And remember to keep everything that touches the soap warm, or as hot as your hands can handle without being scalded.
To me the glycerin rivers look like dragons! Very cool effect! Think up a cool Game of Thrones name and Bob's Your Uncle!
Oooh it's like a sexy Jon Snow soap... If he was a dragon lols

Just saying - South Africa = Rugby.
But cool idea - make a ruby ball soap for the merchandisers to sell - drunken rugby fans will buy it for their home bars.
South Africa rocks at rugby.
Boerewors is da best
And biltong rocks my world.

pe

perhaps a beer soap!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry i cant accept the lack of acknowledgement of the different rugby codes. SA are a rugby UNION country! Theres also rugby league which is a much superior sport to rugby union. SA has a rugby league team but not a good one. Common british names for unuon include Yawnion, kick and clap, generally played by and supported by rich southern toffs iv seen many players changing codes which have ended up fat as a result from the lack of activity on the pitch. They were orginally the sane code but split off into 2 frations and formed different codes. Hope this hasnt come across too serious but please dont just label rugby as rugby because the 2 codes are worlds apart its league and union not just rugby :)

On the subject of making a rugby ball shaped soap or something of the like i tried making a soap with my teams colours cherry and white stripped didnt go as planned but smells lovely. Im going to try again and hopefully it will go better with another go thought it would be something cool to give as a sample to the season ticket holders iv sat near for 4 seasons now.

Soapy thing today i fondled some soaps for soaps gave my folks a bar of freshly cured peppermint and eucalyptus eo soap. Got home to my eo and micas in my recycling bin only ordered them on Friday.

@Dawni watch this space for black and white striped soapy fun. Going to have my lunch/tea then going to weigh it all out and make some later

Sorry i cant accept the lack of acknowledgement of the different rugby codes. SA are a rugby UNION country! Theres also rugby league which is a much superior sport to rugby union. SA has a rugby league team but not a good one. Common british names for unuon include Yawnion, kick and clap, generally played by and supported by rich southern toffs iv seen many players changing codes which have ended up fat as a result from the lack of activity on the pitch. They were orginally the sane code but split off into 2 frations and formed different codes. Hope this hasnt come across too serious but please dont just label rugby as rugby because the 2 codes are worlds apart its league and union not just rugby :)

On the subject of making a rugby ball shaped soap or something of the like i tried making a soap with my teams colours cherry and white stripped didnt go as planned but smells lovely. Im going to try again and hopefully it will go better with another go thought it would be something cool to give as a sample to the season ticket holders iv sat near for 4 seasons now.

Soapy thing today i fondled some soaps for soaps gave my folks a bar of freshly cured peppermint and eucalyptus eo soap. Got home to my eo and micas in my recycling bin only ordered them on Friday.

@Dawni watch this space for black and white striped soapy fun. Going to have my lunch/tea then going to weigh it all out and make some later
I would love to say I know what you are talking about - but I dont. I just like the way they look in shorts. The rugby players that is.. :) (old but still a perv)

Most of my soaps look like stone haha won't call it a swirl either more like a mix only hehe

But.. I calculate for full water and leave some for after the cook. Mix my lye with just a tad more than 1:1. It makes it fluid enough for a bit so you can do simple swirls.

Try yogurt love.. Works wonders for fluidity. I didn't have any on hand for all my soaps and there's a noticeable difference. And remember to keep everything that touches the soap warm, or as hot as your hands can handle without being scalded.

Oooh it's like a sexy Jon Snow soap... If he was a dragon lols
This is the year for the last season - i am gagging to know what happened.

@Donee' You are making me hungry and taking me back -- 2 summers ago we traveled to Namibia and Cape Town, South Africa. I've never had so much meat in my life (I'm not a vegetarian but a fish/chicken-ian) and loved the biltong and boerworst and sundowners and pinotage wine.
On my bucket list to travel around Namibia.
I lived in Mexico City and Scotland waaaayyyy back for a few years and I gotta say - i love this country - meat, beer, wine.
Next time you come I will be your tour guide ok.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just added tinkering with pine tar in a shampoo bar to my to do list for the weekend.
I still have tons of soap in stock... so I guess if I don't make new soap it's ok, but my soul really needs some creative therapy. Maybe I'll tackle sugar scrub again instead. Feeling the urge to make a mess and have angry dirty dishes again.

Oh you funny girl you! I don't know what I did this weekend, but it was most definitely NOT what I said I would do. I did set out what I need for the next batch of soap, but still couldn't get myself to make it. I did clean out my recipe binders - not throwing away anything but moving old recipes that won't be repeated any time soon to the "other" binder, and pulled out a few that I want to make soonish... or whenever I feel like making soap again.

Yes! At first I thought it was a technique that I didn't know of, and when i heard they were glycerin rivers I was blown away! The formations were so lacy and looked utterly planned. They suited her rose soap So Well!!

Some additives like TD can cause it. I think there are other reasons, you could probably search this forum.
Yes I used TD

So - I was in bed last night and realized that my “Black and Tan” soap was poured wrong! I have the colors opposite of what a beer would be like! The foam should be in the top - not the bottom. Oh, well! I still like how it turned out and it did develop glycerin rivers but I think they look pretty cool in this soap.

View attachment 35834
They look very cool in this soap. Like a ghost swirl ;)

how do you swirl when its thick enough to glop? I have had a mottled bar from HP. I am just wondering how thin it has to be to swirl. this soap was HP. but I don't consider it swirlingView attachment 35831

These look wonderful! I think something like these would make a great entry for the February challenge.

can you direct me to the video--I would be interested in watching--I read an article on it that gave a lot of info on it but no video. thanks

Sure, had to dig for it, here it is.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I would love to say I know what you are talking about - but I dont. I just like the way they look in shorts. The rugby players that is.. :) (old but still a perv)

Lol fair enough ill let you off then.

Spoke to my dad today about getting his old laptop and its going to be ready hopefully by end of week. It will be my work/soaping laptop so pretty excited to get started and setup.

I ended up having an unintended nap earlier so didnt make the soap or weigh anything so going to cook and wash up all my soaping jugs ect while stuffs cooking well thats the plan if it happens is another matter lol

OMG that is insanely beautiful! I assume the pattern is from a mold? WOW! Where did you find molds like this?

May I ask where you got your recipe? I have seen some on Soapee and other sites and have been pondering which to pursue.

This is GORGEOUS - Can i clarify - did you swirl the charcoal in the powder form, or had you mixed it with a medium? Also, dod you swirl it into your whole batch, and then pour?

Thank you!
I split the batch into two - mixed the charcoal powder into one pot, and a bit of TD into the other. poured the charcoal colour back into the white pot and stirred a couple times gently, then poured.

Rugby UNION in NZ, Australia, and SA is not a game for toffs. It is the 'people's game - so quite the opposite to the UK where it is played by rich private school boys at Harrow-on-the Hill. It is the game of choice for the working class.
Football has only become more popular in the last decade or two, but when i was at school, boys were teased for playing football. My son (11) plays it now and it's well accepted.

Rugby UNION in NZ, Australia, and SA is not a game for toffs. It is the 'people's game - so quite the opposite to the UK where it is played by rich private school boys at Harrow-on-the Hill. It is the game of choice for the working class.
Football has only become more popular in the last decade or two, but when i was at school, boys were teased for playing football. My son (11) plays it now and it's well accepted.

Rugby league is a big sport in oz too. Tbh im kinda stereotyping when i say its rich toffs but rugby union players are generally pretty big and i dont mean muscular either. I was always under the impression that nrl and rugby league in oz was a big sport they certainly have a big following. So rugby uniion those countries is like rugby league is in england thats interesting. Rl is very much a northern working class towns dominated game in england but we have a french team, and london in our league and a team in toronto are showing thier force in the second league and looking to get promoted to our top league

I only use my slow cooker. But I have tried it on and off, and by on I mean it's on high from melting butters all the way til "almost done" and by off I mean I turn it off once my oils and butters are one consistency, then pour my lye water. So technically it still has residual heat from the earlier warming n melting.

But I've seen on YouTube people using just the heat from the oils and lye in a plastic container or steel pot, just sitting on their counter top, with good results. Maybe your ambient temps were just too cold? It's quite warm here generally so that might be a factor? And maybe your temps were just too far apart? Cooled oil and warm lye or vice versa?

I have been wondering about the ambient temp. It's winter here (mostly in the 50's, this is Not winter, people!!) and I'm guessing the apartment is around 68 F, on average. The lye wasn't room temp but probably about 10 - 20 degrees cooler than the oils, not sure. Didn't think about taking the lye temp because 'it is what it is' -- it's not like you're gonna heat the lye up on the stove!! :D I just thought I'd have more temperature control in a pan than in a slow cooker.

These are my HP soaps from yesterday. I add 1 TBSP PPO yogurt at the end of my HP to help with fluidity. This time, I mixed it with my Sweet Orange, Patchouli, and Ylang Ylang Extra EOs and superfats before adding. The round bars were the remaining batter put in PVC pipe. Not bad detail from the etched molds for an HP soap...

I was going to do more, color and swirl-wise, but I usually break down at the last minute. :oops: Still new at this (my 7th soaps), but with Ms. Kiwi on the forum also supposedly being a new soaper just a few weeks (maybe 7 weeks?) ahead of me, that's not much of a functioning excuse any more. :p

2019-0204_unmolded 105431-1.jpg
2019-0204_pvc cuts 105559-1.jpg

Last edited:
I can buy one more bottle of oil and anything else I'm missing for my LS trial mid-week, but that's it! Going to have to stop making any other soaps for a while because I might get $160 - 190 max in my Feb 15 paycheck, and not sure what the March 1 check will look like because I don't know how many hours I'll be able to do when I go back next week.

I might get some cheap junk oil that I normally would not soap with, just to make the Feb Challenge bars and keep them for decoration. Still thinking about what I might do for that.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back