What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ordered KOH from The Lye Guy, so I can make some liquid soap for the household next. (Got 2, to make the pricey shipping worthwhile.) My cure box is full of bar soaps, for now, so LS and shampoo bars are my next projects, ... although I haven't started looking at recipes yet ...

Okay, back to bed with me! :goodbye1: I work 4.5 hours because by then my brain is hurting (a different sensation than a headache), come straight home, brush my teeth, and hop in bed until 5 or 6 PM... but I had to get that KOH ordered, since it doesn't seem like I can get it here (Denver).

@KiwiMoose how's the price of babasu compared to coconut where you are? Here it's considered a luxury oil, waaaaay more expensive than coconut which is dirt cheap. So, keeping in mind that coconut and babasu are also very similar (I read that here in this forum), I'd not have used babasu especially since I already had coconut in there.

Maybe something to think about for next time? Dunno if you factor in costs this way..

But I like that recipe. Looks like something I'd come up with.. No palm, no animal fats hehe. Your sister will be very happy with it, and it's only going to get better :)
Yes, it’s a little more expensive. I don’t use it anymore for that reason. But I had it in the house, and I don’t believe it’s as drying as coconut oil. Our coconut oil is $12 per litre.

Just measured all my oils lard and shea butter for a small batch of a recipe for a mousturising face soap. Because i made the charcoal exfoliating soap the other night thought i would make this so i have a comparison for which is better. Only my second lard soap might put some clay im it oh and first try for aloe vera gel researched and i think iv got the technique sussed. Going to make it tomorrow because its only 20% hard oils ect im going to try making it with lye solution at rt false trace doesnt matter because this is a practical soap nothing fancy at all expected hopefully get some colour from the clay but if not hey ho not sure ill even scent it either may try sweet orange eo

It's school holidays here, and i took my son out to the ceramic painting place - you choose an item that is already cast and then paint it - they glaze and fire it and you can collect in a couple of weeks. Guess what I made? Yes, that's right, a SOAP DISH!
IMG_0626.JPG
IMG_0627.JPG

It's school holidays here, and i took my son out to the ceramic painting place - you choose an item that is already cast and then paint it - they glaze and fire it and you can collect in a couple of weeks. Guess what I made? Yes, that's right, a SOAP DISH!
View attachment 35433 View attachment 35434

It's lovely! We have those places, too. There's one near my office called "Ceramics in the City."

View attachment 35433 View attachment 35434
AND it has dots on it! Quelle surprise!! :)

Only my second lard soap might put some clay im it oh and first try for aloe vera gel researched and i think iv got the technique sussed. Going to make it tomorrow because its only 20% hard oils ect im going to try making it with lye solution at rt false trace doesnt matter because this is a practical soap nothing fancy at all expected hopefully get some colour from the clay but if not hey ho not sure ill even scent it either may try sweet orange eo
Are you going to use fresh aloe leaves or the store purchased aloe juice. If I use fresh aloe leaves I filet off the gel and blend them well in a blender or bullet. It will become quite foamy so it will need to really sit and settle before you measure it out for your water replacement. It can be used as a full water replacement but I usually use it at a 50% water replacement. The fresh aloe is a bit hard to get completely smooth. Also do not use any of the outside leaf, it will be very scratchy. If I am using aloe juice from the store I use it as a full water replacement since it is a thin liquid

Are you going to use fresh aloe leaves or the store purchased aloe juice. If I use fresh aloe leaves I filet off the gel and blend them well in a blender or bullet. It will become quite foamy so it will need to really sit and settle before you measure it out for your water replacement. It can be used as a full water replacement but I usually use it at a 50% water replacement. The fresh aloe is a bit hard to get completely smooth. Also do not use any of the outside leaf, it will be very scratchy. If I am using aloe juice from the store I use it as a full water replacement since it is a thin liquid

thank for the info and help ill read over it properly when i get home. I made it by just putting the aloe vera gel yes it was store bought but would be closer to the leaves technique than using juice its just a tub of the gel i added it to the oils then added the lye mix seemed to work but i was in a rush to leave the house so i could get the gym before it got busy so tbought i would just give it aa go seen a few sites saying you could do it like that

Attachments

• 20190125_155722.jpg
    20190125_155722.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 15
@amd is that not THE BEST scent ???!!! Bet you are glad you got that... muhahahahahaha

@Lin19687 you wicked enabler, yes I am glad that I splurged and bought the 16oz bottle! I had all 3 teenage boys (yep, even the one that would rather have unscented soap) in the soap lab looking for "whatever that is that's making my nose happy", as one boy put it. K's girlfriend put her stamp of approval on it so I suspect some bars will be kiped for personal use. On a side note, my hubby is loving Cracklin' Birch and asked me to make his next batch of salt bars with it.

I cut my soap bars yesterday and beveled and stamped over lunch. I think the next batch I will either do a different shade of brown or nix the brown altogether and just do the dark blue with the neon blue swirl. (my apologies for the craptastic photos, I dropped my phone several weeks ago and I think it did something to the camera lens or function. A new phone is on the agenda this weekend.)
32305-92b73d6268379b9c6fd0ebc534ee7994.jpg
32306-beb2319509de7e91451972a141b60486.jpg

Other soapy project has been working with a new brewery to pick out fragrances for their beers. A few custom blends are probably going to happen, they want a pear and pine scent for one of the beers. Which sounds good ... but weird... I don't know. Tomorrow morning I hope to get over to the peddlers market to check inventory, and dress up the shelves a bit. Right now it's bare metal shelves, so one of my crafty friends made me some neutral colored runners. Sigh. Hopefully I will get to hunker down this weekend in the soap dungeon and get more soap made.

Attachments

• tpm1.jpg
    tpm1.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 20
  • tpm2.jpg
    tpm2.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 19
@Lin19687 you wicked enabler, yes I am glad that I splurged and bought the 16oz bottle! I had all 3 teenage boys (yep, even the one that would rather have unscented soap) in the soap lab looking for "whatever that is that's making my nose happy", as one boy put it. K's girlfriend put her stamp of approval on it so I suspect some bars will be kiped for personal use. On a side note, my hubby is loving Cracklin' Birch and asked me to make his next batch of salt bars with it.

I cut my soap bars yesterday and beveled and stamped over lunch. I think the next batch I will either do a different shade of brown or nix the brown altogether and just do the dark blue with the neon blue swirl. (my apologies for the craptastic photos, I dropped my phone several weeks ago and I think it did something to the camera lens or function. A new phone is on the agenda this weekend.)
32305-92b73d6268379b9c6fd0ebc534ee7994.jpg
32306-beb2319509de7e91451972a141b60486.jpg

Other soapy project has been working with a new brewery to pick out fragrances for their beers. A few custom blends are probably going to happen, they want a pear and pine scent for one of the beers. Which sounds good ... but weird... I don't know. Tomorrow morning I hope to get over to the peddlers market to check inventory, and dress up the shelves a bit. Right now it's bare metal shelves, so one of my crafty friends made me some neutral colored runners. Sigh. Hopefully I will get to hunker down this weekend in the soap dungeon and get more soap made.

My friend said she only just found the little sample soaps you sent her wuth the apple soap and she loves the sandlewood one :). Out of curiosity was it using eo or a fo? Iv never smelt sandlewood or cederwood but it makes me curious to know what they smell of

My friend said she only just found the little sample soaps you sent her wuth the apple soap and she loves the sandlewood one :). Out of curiosity was it using eo or a fo? Iv never smelt sandlewood or cederwood but it makes me curious to know what they smell of

It was an FO from WSP. A good EO is ridiculously expensive. I tried the cheapest EO from NDA, but it didn't smell right. The WSP one isn't bad, but still isn't real sandalwood like I experienced in India. Sigh. I need to go back. I'm craving the food.

Latest posts

Back