What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Using SOAP to clean out the tub after last night's bath bomb disaster! Made bath bombs with my son the other day: two-tone, with a shimmery pink and a dark amethyst mica. Well, the amethyst looked a lot like cement as soon as we mixed it in. Then the first two we unmolded collapsed entirely. Waited another 12 hours and the rest unmolded ok (but not great. I am using the flower soap mold, not a proper BB mold). Last night, Milo had a bath and I dumped the 2 fallen-apart bath bombs in with him. There was one huge fizz and he immediately became covered in dirt-coloured oil. Looked like he'd been playing in black sand. And the tub was a disaster. I kind of don't get the appeal of bath bombs at the best of times, but these really bombed.
They sure smelled great though!! Mango-Pomegranate from NDA. In fact, the whole house smelled great!

I appolgise in advance but as soon as you said milo i just pictured it being a dog. Im in no way suggesting your son is a dog or animal like in any way but thats just what first came to mind and it made me giggle a little because i then read the rest of the comment as if you were talking about a dog and you know what you could have been talking about a dog ;). Milo isnt a name you hear very often in England infact iv never known anyone called Milo :oops::rolleyes: If it makes you feel better i actually did accidently compare my doctors son to the behaviour of my cats and he just laughed. Ill stop digging myself a hole now Bye:sadgoodbye:

I cut my shampoo bars earlier the tops are lovely insides not so much lol

Attachments

• 15482676267698367511492742928368.jpg
    15482676267698367511492742928368.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 19
I appolgise in advance but as soon as you said milo i just pictured it being a dog. Im in no way suggesting your son is a dog or animal like in any way but thats just what first came to mind and it made me giggle a little because i then read the rest of the comment as if you were talking about a dog and you know what you could have been talking about a dog ;).

LOL he *is* an animal, as it turns out, and in this case, turned the bathtub a worse colour than the real dog does (her name is Cedar, BTW, making my recent post on FO we hate extra funny).
Yes, Milo is a very old-fashioned name, and then in 1986, a movie about a dog and a cat named Milo and Otis came out and everyone started naming their dog Milo! I have not seen this movie, but I know enough about it to know that it's the CAT that's named Milo. We have yet to meet another actual human Milo, but many dogs turn their heads when we call the kid.

I appolgise in advance but as soon as you said milo i just pictured it being a dog. Im in no way suggesting your son is a dog or animal like in any way but thats just what first came to mind and it made me giggle a little because i then read the rest of the comment as if you were talking about a dog and you know what you could have been talking about a dog ;). Milo isnt a name you hear very often in England infact iv never known anyone called Milo :oops::rolleyes: If it makes you feel better i actually did accidently compare my doctors son to the behaviour of my cats and he just laughed. Ill stop digging myself a hole now Bye:sadgoodbye:

I cut my shampoo bars earlier the tops are lovely insides not so much lol
My first son's name was Buster - and everyone said I couldn't call him that. But I did anyway!

LOL he *is* an animal, as it turns out, and in this case, turned the bathtub a worse colour than the real dog does (her name is Cedar, BTW, making my recent post on FO we hate extra funny).
Yes, Milo is a very old-fashioned name, and then in 1986, a movie about a dog and a cat named Milo and Otis came out and everyone started naming their dog Milo! I have not seen this movie, but I know enough about it to know that it's the CAT that's named Milo. We have yet to meet another actual human Milo, but many dogs turn their heads when we call the kid.

I was partially basing my comment on how my niece behaves i would guess she is quite a bit younger than your son but shes a little monster but loves animals already at just under 2 years old. My folks dog is called suggs after the member of madness because they said it was a moment of madness when they adopted him hes a terrier by name and by nature but he is adorable. My cats are called tyson and bruno because they fight like champs. And my niece is called Iona after the Isle of Iona on the western scottish coast think its near an island called Mull. And you know what she really really suits the name too unusual as it may be. My cats are my babies dont need kids when you have two monsterous cats terrorising the entire house

My first son's name was Buster - and everyone said I couldn't call him that. But I did anyway!

Theres much worse names to call someone. Strangly enough i was talking to someone recently her sister lives in germany and if i remember the conversation correctly they actually have restrictions on names you can call kids born in Germany. Not sure how restrictive they are they prob just stop ridiculous names being given

I don't know how old your Milo is but you must see "Milo and Otis" the movie!! My sons are teens now but when they were toddlers, that movie was a staple. They never tired of watching it and I didn't either. (You may want to watch it first because an animal gives birth and it was a great way to introduce our kids to that fact of life, but you know your kid best). And I have an Uncle Milo.

No offense to folks but I have this negative thing about pets having human names -- like my neighbor's dog is Steve and our rescued cat's name was Nicole and that just jars me! And I'm a hypocrite because our dog is Trevor. Trevor was named by the shelter and I wanted to rename him Lucky because we adopted him on 7/7/07, but my sons vetoed me. I am terrible remembering people's names but I encounter several humans named Trevor and I always remember their names!

Is that a ridge in the mold? That would probably make it hard to get out even with the freezer trick.
I typically let my pvc pipe in the freezer for the entire sapoinification process (18-24) hours, then when taking out of the freezer, they should pop right out. But my pvc doesn't have that ridge. (Maybe I'm seeing something that's not there?)
Ridges will impact removal for sure. I would like to try this but will probably get 2.5” pvc and just use that.

I don't know how old your Milo is but you must see "Milo and Otis" the movie!! My sons are teens now but when they were toddlers, that movie was a staple. They never tired of watching it and I didn't either. (You may want to watch it first because an animal gives birth and it was a great way to introduce our kids to that fact of life, but you know your kid best). And I have an Uncle Milo.

No offense to folks but I have this negative thing about pets having human names -- like my neighbor's dog is Steve and our rescued cat's name was Nicole and that just jars me! And I'm a hypocrite because our dog is Trevor. Trevor was named by the shelter and I wanted to rename him Lucky because we adopted him on 7/7/07, but my sons vetoed me. I am terrible remembering people's names but I encounter several humans named Trevor and I always remember their names!
I have read that dogs t to names that end in a “y” sound. No clue why but we have had a Maggie, Suzie, Corey, Ozzie, and Jazzie Boy.

Ridges will impact removal for sure. I would like to try this but will probably get 2.5” pvc and just use that.
let me know if you find 2 1/2" and where I could only find the 3" but it really isn't too big. I got a 2' piece of sewer pie with end caps for under $5 and cut it in half. I saw someone on here tapes a bottom of what looked like plastic which I might try. I found the cap came off kinda hard but my hands are kinda arthritic so that might have been the problem

let me know if you find 2 1/2" and where I could only find the 3" but it really isn't too big. I got a 2' piece of sewer pie with end caps for under $5 and cut it in half. I saw someone on here tapes a bottom of what looked like plastic which I might try. I found the cap came off kinda hard but my hands are kinda arthritic so that might have been the problem
I found mine in the plumbing section at Home Depot.

I use cling (saran) wrap, tightly pulled across the bottom and then either use masking tape or duct tape to hold the cling wrap in place. Never had a problem with leaking. I tried the caps and they leaked for me every single time, so tried the wrap. Bingo. Good to go.

While we are being honest i dont like people who go by the forum name of zing!;)
Edited my folks dog was called snoop when they got him and given his last owner had to give him up because he got sent to prison i can understand why they wanted to change the name and he is such a mad little critter so definatly suits that name

My cats are last names so that doesnt count anyways they were called stewart and mackellen after patrick stewart and ian mackellen and i think bruno and tyson are better names than that plus i could never remember which one was which and plus they didnt even respond to thier names they came with now all i have to do is click my finges and they go outside or leave the room most the time anyways they dont like it so do resist sometimes.

@Zing what has 7/7 got to do with luck? you know thats the date of the london underground and bus bombings i had to check i thought it was 2007 but it was 2005 that happened.

Im trying to decide what i want to do tonight iv got some m+p base arriving tomorrow and im going to try making embeds with it just as something to have a play with ordered 2kg its a shea butter base so will see what its like and might do the red and white stripes with it after last weeks mess i made with my attempt.

Has anyone ever tried doing stripes by doing a layer at a time and letting it harden then adding another layer and so on? or would this not adhere properly?

Last edited:
I found mine in the plumbing section at Home Depot.

I use cling (saran) wrap, tightly pulled across the bottom and then either use masking tape or duct tape to hold the cling wrap in place. Never had a problem with leaking. I tried the caps and they leaked for me every single time, so tried the wrap. Bingo. Good to go.
thanks will need to check it out. I had no leaking and was thinking of cutting a hole in the cap and lining it will plastic so I could just pull the cap off but what you do sounds a lot easier

I solemnly swear that I am going to make soap tonight. Work space has been cleaned off. Dishes are put away. FO's and colors have been pulled out and molds are lined and ready to go. Recipes have been printed, and I have enough oils masterbatched to do what is needed. Family will be told to kindly bug off for the evening - although I do need to make dinner for them. A soaping marathon is a completely reasonable activity for a Wednesday night, right?

Here's my accomplishments this week-
Having made an abundant inventory late last Fall for back stock and 3 good sized craft events, I now have some of that stuff left stored. I move some of it in consignment shops, but I don't want to keep it around. SO. I've re-batched several 20 bar lots, adding 3% more FO to account for the fading that took place, and a smidge more colorant to freshen my lard based recipe. VOILA! And it was fun using the end pieces I have for embeds & shreds. I think it's a great way to economize before spending more on ingt's for brand new batches. They look great! BTW, I use an old meat grinder with the fine blade to shred them... crockpot...

ohhhh bless his heart @Meena
order online, have him swing by and pick it up LOL you too @Marilyn Norgart !
https://www.homedepot.com/p/VPC-3-in-x-2-ft-Plastic-ABS-Pipe-1203/202300520
cut that bad boy into 2 equal lengths. i use these end caps. on the bottom- i do use a piece of saran wrap, i fold it over cuz its just too big. so saran wrap on top of the plug, pop in the plug, and then sometimes i use a rubber band to hold the saran wrap close to it. usually i just dont mind :D https://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-3-in-Knockout-Test-Cap-39102/100122751
two mold sets for $10 or so, i really do like them. i generally line them with the flexible cutting board from the dollar store. and i use the end cap on the top too just to help insulate it a bit.
they hold my batch with 32oz oils pretty perfectly

I solemnly swear that I am going to make soap tonight. Work space has been cleaned off. Dishes are put away. FO's and colors have been pulled out and molds are lined and ready to go. Recipes have been printed, and I have enough oils masterbatched to do what is needed. Family will be told to kindly bug off for the evening - although I do need to make dinner for them. A soaping marathon is a completely reasonable activity for a Wednesday night, right?

Wow all that and you didnt loose a single finger sounds like that was your biggest achievement yet but of course theres still plenty time for fingers to go missing

last night i was hoping to get a batch made up quick and dirty,
but i masterbatched oils for 6 batches instead! yay accomplishment!!
and i ran out of lard *cries* and i ran out of tallow *cries*
i see a shopping trip in my near future /sigh
maybe this weekend i'll get some made. maybe. the girlchild is turning 6, grandparents might be coming for the weekend but they havent decided yet
sooooo i may be fiendishly cleaning for company instead of soaping :D

Thats one my faverate soaps iv done and it was meant to be a split half and half from each end so i just guessed how to sort it and got that as a result i absolutly love the blue in that too think it looks kinda like the sea with waves underwater :D nothing like i visioned before making it lol

Yes, they are beautiful! Love that blue.

Latest posts

Back