What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been reading about Neem soap and have made a tiny pot of neem salve to see if it works for my eczema. If it works as well as all my reading suggests, I may just make a small batch of Neem soap this weekend.

If my husband decides to go out for a while this afternoon (keeping my fingers crossed), I'll make a batch of Zany's No Slime Castile soap.

Those labels and the soaps look very nice. I decided to do the same for the soaps I'm gifting to family this year for Christmas. I even thought up a name--although I probably won't ever sell professionally, I thought it was a cute added touch. Dh is making up labels for me to wrap my soaps in.

Janelle

Thank you that was my first attempt at a beer soap came out much better than i expected also my first use of td. and apart from what the ladies have said about the order im really happy with how well the labels came out too.

Well, my husband did go out and I did make a batch of Zany's No Slime Castile Soap. It came together beautifully and is now resting under a wooden box and a folded towel. I chose not to scent it, although I was thinking about using a bit of chamomile EO.

20181212_142149_HDR.jpg

Well, my husband did go out and I did make a batch of Zany's No Slime Castile Soap. It came together beautifully and is now resting under a wooden box and a folded towel. I chose not to scent it, although I was thinking about using a bit of chamomile EO.

View attachment 33709

wow you filled that mold properly didnt you. Whats the refference to no slime? is castille soap normally slimey?

Made a second batch of lotion bars with a new recipe (1/3 each of beeswax, shea butter, and coconut oil). I added plumeria fragrance that I got in Hawai'i this past summer. Shh, it's a Christmas gift surprise for my wife. A group of us had a reunion in Hawai'i this past summer plus my wife and I celebrated 25 years of marriage. For that group of friends, I also labeled and wrapped up a soap I made from macadamia nut oil and kukui nut oil, oils I also picked up in Hawai'i. I call it Muhalo, Hawai'i. "Muhalo" is native Hawai'ian for "thank you." I want to run the recipe through a soap calculator because it is the hardest and longest lasting soap I've made yet. And a shout-out to this forum when I was formulating the recipe.

If I can, I like to "mound" my soap. I had this one at a medium trace, filled it, waited a bit, then added what was left in the bowl. Castile (100% olive oil) can have a somewhat slimy lather. I followed Zany's recipe from this thread:
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/zanys-no-slime-castile.72620/

fair enough was just surprised by how over flowong it was.

Awesome i was going to try making castille soap and hadnt started researching it yet so thats good to know ill bookmark it now so i dont loose it.

I was bored so decided to wrap up my newly cured i knew it was maybe a day each side of today technically its only just the 13th lol but its had 4 weeks to cure today just checked and is hardest soap iv made so far. Scented with strawberry fo goats milk and beeswax smells lovely oh yeah i beveled them too mostly just because i can and it wasted a bit moŕe time

Attachments

• 20181213_001646.jpg
    20181213_001646.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 16

View attachment 33709
Woo! Looks good. I want to try Zany's recipe too, but it's n my list after several other soaps that i want to try first. The list grows and grows...

LOL I know what you mean. In actuality, Zany's recipe came along at just the right time for me. I've been wanting to make a castile-type soap, unscented and uncoloured. The no slime and shorter cure time (I'll still let it sit for a minimum of 6-8 weeks) were the clincher. Incidentally, it's a really pretty, creamy, fresh smelling loaf this morning. Simple and elegant looking. @Zany_in_CO , thank you SO much for sharing the recipe.

My list of soaps to make is getting longer daily, too. I have next year's markets to think about and I'm all out of some of my "core" soaps, the ones I want to have in stock at all times. They include salt bars, a charcoal soap, Java Jumpstart (a great kitchen soap... the recipe is online), and a few others. People ohh and ahhh at all the lovely "artsy" soaps but they tend to purchase the basics unless it's for a gift.

Oh, and one that surprised me was my Under the Sea soap... made with nori. I thought it was rather ugly but it sold really fast. I need to talk to my daughter's bf about that one. I'd like him to bring back some ocean water next time he goes to visit his kids on Vancouver Island. Apparently, they live within blocks of the Juan de Fuca Strait (ocean strait between the mainland and Van. Island).

Received 2 pounds of soy wax! Gonna make some hard bars this weekend.

Last edited:
Cleaned up the soap lab a bit. Poked a few things on the cure rack. Nothing growled back so all is well. It's been a busy week so I haven't had time to do my Vday soap. That's all right, I'm off work after Monday until the end of the year so I'm sure I'll find time to make soap.

I made some bath bombs for Christmas gifts today, as well as some hand salve.. tonight may be my first body butter attempt, as well as beard oil.. why did my family decide to come Dec. 15th?!?!?

Oh, and one that surprised me was my Under the Sea soap... made with nori. I thought it was rather ugly but it sold really fast. I need to talk to my daughter's bf about that one.

That one sounds interesting, do you have a photo ?

That's all right, I'm off work after Monday until the end of the year so I'm sure I'll find time to make soap.
That'll be a nice long break! I'm working until the 21st, then sort of have time off... this the season to be social (and hubby's bday is the 28th)

Those labels and the soaps look very nice. I decided to do the same for the soaps I'm gifting to family this year for Christmas. I even thought up a name--although I probably won't ever sell professionally, I thought it was a cute added touch. Dh is making up labels for me to wrap my soaps in.

Janelle

That soap isnt even cured yet it was literally the closest i had to a full size nearly cured soap. Once fully cured i have been wrapping the soaps in wax paper then for the ones im gifting to family ill use those labels or simular then the ones ill be using or just giving folks to try and get feedback on them ill just use a little sticker with scent and type on them

@Loralei is there any chance you would be able to inbox me the recipe for the hand salve you made please.

Last edited:
Well it's a long story, but here goes:
I had the house to myself tonight - my partner and son have gone out to a work Christmas do. I think any *normal* person would sit back with a glass of wine and watch a chick flick or something, and relish the alone time. But noooo, I thought "great, nobody in the kitchen, I'm making soap!"
Got out my six different oils I was using for my new soy wax recipe (@Dean), got out my lye, my flavours and colours, my pot and mixing bowls. Got everything ready. Pulled the scales down off the shelf (the ones that DH used the other night and dropped on the floor). Pushed power button: OUT2 it said. Oh no! Did DH damage them when dropping? Turned the power off, and on again: OUT2. Googled OUT2 - basically they were stuffed it said. So yes, DH DID damage them. Googled local home appliance store and found some more scales. Called the store to check they had them in stock. Yes! Jumped in the car and drove down there, and bought them. Came home and donned gloves, long sleeves etc, and finally MADE SOAP! It's orange and cardamom. Had no orange colour, but I did have a 'coral' colour so added a bit of turmeric to that half of the mix (with Orange Zest Fragrance and May Chang) and used a teaspoon each of cinnamon and cardamom spice powder from the kitchen cupboard, along with cardamom EO to the other half. Poured both at same time into individual moulds and swirled the two 'flavours' together with a kebab stick. Spritzed and covered. Now I wait...
fullsizeoutput_4d43.jpeg

Back