What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made whipped/cream soap over the weekend. I've only done this once a year to use for my footscrubs and every year I do slight tweak. This year was using calendula infused olive & macadamia oil. (The only reason I used the macadamia oil was because I was short on the OO and the MNO is getting close to expiring with no real plans to be used. It was an impulse purchase...lol.) This was also the first year I've gotten to use my big stand mixer to do all the whipping, holy time saver Batman! Last year I didn't have a big stand mixer so I had to whip and rot my batch six times before I got it to hold (ish, I mean, as much as whipped soap is going to hold over time), this year I might be ok with half as many whips. I will see I guess.
30126-81af653dd48f4ed165229ac58057df9d.jpg

Other soapy stuff: I ordered jars for emulsified sugar scrub and for the cream soap that will eventually be made into foot scrub. The first brewery put in a fourth order this weekend, one restock that they can't seem to keep in, and three new beers. OMG, wholesale saved my "life" - or at least my self esteem. I was really starting to get a bit depressed about the way business has gone this year and was seriously thinking about quitting. This has at least balanced out the budget. Hopefully this is just a "hump year" and I will definitely be taking alot of lessons with me. Anyways, I'm squeezing in two of the brewery batches before the holiday the other two will need to have FO's ordered for which is great timing because I have a "small" list of FO's I'd like to order anyways. I was hoping I could tackle the emulsified sugar scrub this week, but I think that will be a Black Friday project - which is ok, these are gifts for my sisters, so I have time. The other project I'd like to tackle is shampoo bar recipe tweaks - I do have to make a batch as-is for a friend who is extremely happy with her results. We shall see how my time works out over the long holiday weekend.

Attachments

• creamsoap.jpg
    creamsoap.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 13
@Carolyne Thrasher please could you send me the links to the thread about clays my last try with clay was a massive disaster even though i researched it and did it how i read.

im going to either rebatch my coffee soap i messed up last night or make another batch sometime today.

Terri do you sell your soaps? They look amazing
Hi Chris, I do sell my soap but locally. Those bars are huge and shipping would be crazy. The rose soaps are roughly 8-10 oz and the sea turtle soaps are 10-14 oz, I know it’s crazy to make them that big but I like things big! Lol! Thank you so much for the compliment!

Cut my batch of bars. Unfortunately it was too soft. Next day is too hard and same day is too soft. I feel like a frustrated Goldilocks driven to drink.

I decided not to soap till January. This way I will use up what is in stock, calculate what sold well this year and soap in January.
This will give me a little break. Then when I am going again I will just bang out a ton at once so Spring will be set and then in early Spring do Summers batches etc...
I only have a few shows this Winter

I received in the mail three new soap moulds - a set of ovals, a set of squares and a set of little floral designs. Oh - and a stamp that says 'handmade'.
I also poked at my second ever batch of soap which is still sitting in the moulds waiting to harden before I turn it out. I made a newbie mistake of using too much castor oil, so it may end up on the bin - or in my closet for the next 3 years waiting for it to harden.
Terri - is it wrong that I want to eat your turtle soap? It looks delicious! (Not the turtle, but the soap it's sitting on) Nom Nom.:p
Hahahaha! You are so funny and no it is not wrong :) It is supposed to be sand on the bottom and different shades of ocean water but I guess it does look like a piece of cake! Lol!

Hi Chris, I do sell my soap but locally. Those bars are huge and shipping would be crazy. The rose soaps are roughly 8-10 oz and the sea turtle soaps are 10-14 oz, I know it’s crazy to make them that big but I like things big! Lol! Thank you so much for the compliment!

I was more asking out of interest because i couldnt imagine someone going to that much effort to make such nice soap and not sell them. Im in england so shipping would cost a small fortune iv seen things on etsy in america charging £50 just for postage. I totally get the liking big things but how the hell is that a practical piece of soap to use? do people use them as decoration rather than soaps?

cut some of my coffee soap to see how much of a disaster it really was, once trimmed its not as bad as i expected and smells amazing love the fragrance oil

I was more asking out of interest because i couldnt imagine someone going to that much effort to make such nice soap and not sell them. Im in england so shipping would cost a small fortune iv seen things on etsy in america charging £50 just for postage. I totally get the liking big things but how the hell is that a practical piece of soap to use? do people use them as decoration rather than soaps?

cut some of my coffee soap to see how much of a disaster it really was, once trimmed its not as bad as i expected and smells amazing love the fragrance oil

Oh, okay. These particular bars are for a ladies church group and they gave me some ideas as to what they wanted as they have seen my soap before. You are right in that they are not practical pieces of soap I would call them "art soap" and yes some people have told me they let them sit as decor in their bathrooms. I would rather they use them but when you get tired of looking at them you can cut them into halves or thirds and they would make great usable bars of soap :)

Last night I made a citrus mix soap orange in color and I am waiting for it to be hardened so I can unmold it! I unmolded the little 4 leaf clover citrus molds and they are cute!
Was on a outside job today so I still have a ton of soapy utensils to wash from last night....uhhh...

I unmolded my newbie-mistake used-too-much-castor-oil soap to find that it didn't stick to the molds! And it may actually be usable once it cures (admittedly it will always be soft).

Unmolded my ice cream soap that I made on Monday along with some cupcake soaps. Had to work late so wasn't able to get any other soaping in.
Photo please shunty - sounds fab!

Last edited by a moderator:
Tried to CP a small batch today! I mostly do HP... This has dead sea mud ^^

You can see which ones I poured in last lol

I also got my hands on TD. My swirls aren't a success; I need to figure out the consistency of the batter when I should add it.. In HP there's just "after the cook" for me lol
_20181122_005620.JPG
If there's actual swirls on the bottoms I'll post pics lol

Today I unmolded and cut my Citrus Burst soap! It smells amazing and I also checked on my Oats and Honey but I do not like how it has turned out smell wise or consistancy wise....uhhh.
I invented it the first time I made it and I somehow messed up this second time. The first time was an amazing batch too.
I think I will follow a recipe for it next time tho.

Cocoa Rose goats milkView attachment 33303 e soap. I used fluid HP. I love the way fluid HP comes out!

they look a bit like oreos! have you stamped them with something to get them looking like that?

Went to b&q and bought a new set of shelves and put them together. they will be used firstly for curing soaps then rest of the space will be for other crafting stuff. just need to sort everything out now

I managed to get a small 6 bar batch of salt soap with rosemary mint do done and black raspberry vanilla shown below. I’m attempting ombré layers with gold mica dust between. All pink below a very thin layer of green. Both batches had coconut milk added to the oils and I used half the water amount with the lye. Also used kaolin clay in each.
862C625A-EF4A-4327-B98B-7AFD974D9D43.jpeg

Latest posts

Back