What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Washed last night's soap dishes, and found myself really loving the F.O. I used..."Wild Rose" by Brambleberry. Wasn't too sure last night, but it mellowed quite a bit as the soap set up. It was also my first time using a F.O. that accelerated, which I was prepared for, but it wasn't too bad. I probably could've done a swirl, and I may try that tonight. Either last night's batch or tonight's re-do with a swirl --whichever turns out prettier--will be destined as Christmas gifts to family, I think--I'm so happy to have 1) found a floral F.O. I really like and 2) gotten started on my Xmas to-do list. :)

I made a batch of Silver Fox's Shave Soap. It turned out great; now, it just needs to cool and harden up. Here's a picture of the lather, made with what was remaining in the slow cooker.

20181103_141259_HDR.jpg

I FINALLY found the note I wrote in August with the names of people who wanted samples of my butterscotch soap. I got the mailing info for 1 person. Still waiting to hear back from the other. I beveled all of my soaps today too. A few still need planing and I need to take picks of all of them.

iv just made my first attempt at making goats milk soap not sure if its turned out well yet as i have only just finished it its getting kinda cold here now and iv read sites that suggest you can put it in the fridge but the temp where its sat now is probably about the same temp so i think i will keep it there for now. it turned a light yellow colour but i think for my first attempt i did quite well first batch of soap iv made that hasnt had any scent decided to leave it plain and see how it comes out then if i like it ill add scent to the next batch of it i make. never even used a shop bought milk soap so not even sure what to expect but im excited for that very reason. oh and first soap iv used lard in too usually use palm oil.

Nothing, nada. ZIP.....I have big plans for next weekend to get out at least 12 batches...I need restocks badly. Then they can have a nice long cure before I need them in the spring. Also want to play on the November challenge..see what I can come up with.

Nothing over the weekend other than (attempting to) selling soap. Campus show was not great. I think they had their timing off, if they had started the show an hour later and ran an hour later it would have been better. It was so frustrating to see the crowds of people that came in during the 40 minutes I was packing up, when the crowd was slow the rest of the show. Also frustrating: of the 30 vendors there, only 6 of us were handmade items: 2 sign ladies who had pretty much the same signs, 2 jewelry ladies, a honey lady, and me . The rest were MLM - including THREE Lularoe vendors. I think the only two vendors who left somewhat happy were me and the honey lady, who I was setup next to. I am so over these little shows. I am getting my butt in gear for next year and working on my display so I can do some of the bigger multi-day shows that bring in thousands of people. I've already been contacted for the two big shows that are done in spring and fall (thanks to a friend who did the fall show and gave them my info because they had zero soap vendors), but I won't be ready for the spring show - it's juried based on display and product. My product is good, but I won't have anything ready for a display when the app is due. Sorry, rambly thinking out loud brain today.

Anyways... this week I'm working on lip balms for a custom order. Friday I leave for The Cities (Mpls/SP) to hang out with two high school friends and do a show there. Next week I'll start dabbling with a few project soaps: Pine Tar being the big one to tackle. Always wanted to make one, and after using one that a member sent me and then my son swiped it, loved it, and is begging me to make more... I think it's time to try it!

just un-moulded my soap olive oil & palm kernel oil soap after 24hrs.
its has a big white layer :(
dont have a clue what is it.. :(
its not hard or cracky.. its just a soft soap.

Attachments

• 20181105_174708.jpg
    20181105_174708.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 27
Been checking my goats milk soap to see if its ready to unmold so far its way way to soft. i made it sunday about 10pm its not tuesday 12.30pm (England) its been gradually getting harder and more so since i brought it inside last night as its practically outside temp where i was keeping it for first 24 hours. it was made with a recipe using nearly 50% liquid oils im assuming this will make it take longer to get hard enough to unmold and cut and probably longer cure time aswell? is it worth me taking the block out of the wooden part of the mold or should i leave it in there?

Attachments

• received_298516877426909.jpeg
    received_298516877426909.jpeg
    22.2 KB · Views: 29
Been checking my goats milk soap to see if its ready to unmold so far its way way to soft. i made it sunday about 10pm its not tuesday 12.30pm (England) its been gradually getting harder and more so since i brought it inside last night as its practically outside temp where i was keeping it for first 24 hours. it was made with a recipe using nearly 50% liquid oils im assuming this will make it take longer to get hard enough to unmold and cut and probably longer cure time aswell? is it worth me taking the block out of the wooden part of the mold or should i leave it in there?

You can remove it from the wooden box. I take mine out as soon as it's hard enough to get out of the box. How long it takes your soap to come out of the mold will depend on the amount of liquid oils, the amount of liquid used as well as if you gelled it or not. I gel all my soaps and can unmold 12-18 hours.

Latest posts

Back