What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like nekkid, too, but I don't think it's a good idea out and about due to dust, pollens, and various fingers manhandling the soaps. So I prefer to wrap in shrink wrap, then I usually add ribbons like msunderstood shows in the above photo. Sometimes I wrap in fabric instead, then add a ribbon. It really depends on circumstances at the time of the packaging.

I don't sell, but I still don't want my soaps to get dusty and so forth before I give them away as gifts, so I do want them to look nice. I have purchased roles of ribbons at some very good prices, from various places and love pulling out the box to see what I have that will complement a particular color scheme in my soaps.
Mine go into a box so they dont get dusty or bump together

While I don't mind people smelling and touching .... well so long as it isn't some 5 year old with food all over his hands and tossing them around. I actually plan on only putting out a few bars at a time, when one sells, add another or not. Sometimes wonder if you take away 2 from 4 bar row if people think it is a hot seller ! lol

I understand about the bumping.

I am thinking Naked at FM and if I do Etsy or online sales I would wrap in Brown Butcher paper for shipping or offer shrink wrap if they wanted. Maybe wrap in butcher paper at FM when bagging if they buy more then one ;) I have a HUGE roll of butcher paper

When I started, I used a paper band. I had the same issues as Shunt - they didn't travel well. I switched to shrink bags, and then to shrink bands. I'm not a huge fan of the wrapper waste, but compared to the plastic body wash bottles that go into the garbage it is at least waste reduction. My soapy friends who sell use biodegradable boxes or wrap the bars in brown paper with a single bar on display for handling, smelling and appreciating. I've never come across naked soap, so I can't say for sure if it would deter me from buying it.

Soapy stuff done today/yesterday: nada. The weather is still cool so I am going to force myself to masterbatch oils tonight.

I have been investigating self-preserving cosmetics. Why? Because I got a mail today telling I would get my order from Germany after all. They did not reply to mails, and had not sent my order. When I yesterday wrote to them in German, that I wanted my money back, then I got a mail from DHL, the parcel was sent. I got an excuse from the company, something went wrong. Okey, so I will get my KOH to make liquid soap after all. But I have no preservative. I can buy one, but I find it difficult to find out what to use. They all have their limitations and advantages. And I'm sort of wanting a preservative-free product, meaning self-preserving. Maybe I have read too many horror stories. Or well, I don't know what I want, actually. But the self-preserving idea is very tempting to try. I will not sell any liquid soap/shower gel. That is what I want to make, since the bar soaps just dumps to the floor every time I try to use them in the shower. I can make soap-on-a-rope, but I think I prefer liquid shower gel. But I definately prefer bar soap for handwash.

I got the idea of self-preserving after watching Youtube videoes about how Lush does it. And it is definately not just to remove the preservative, but to preserve with a combination of ingredients that does not need a preservative on its own, and reduce the water content. And maybe add some ingredients that can fight some bacterias. Regular bar soap is self-preserving. It seems to be a little bit more tricky with liquid soap, but I bet it definately is possible. I think I have to investigate a little bit more, or quite a lot more, to find out how possible it is, and how to do it. And if I want to do it. Cost, viscosity, skin feel, all that things come into play. A self-preserved liquid soap will be different than a regular one. The water has to be bound up to a certain degree, and it will radically change the product. I prefer the thick and syrupy concentrated soaps over heavily dilluted watery thin soaps. And I guess a self-preserved liquid soap will be very thick and sticky, because most of the water has to be replaced by self-preserved ingredients like glycerin, honey, strong sugar syrup and/or saltwater. Maybe I will end up with something more of a paste instead than a liquid soap? Since I have never made liquid soap before, I'm not sure how clever it is to begin by experiment with formulating a self-preserved product. Yes, maybe the traditional way with a preservative is the absolute best for a beginner. So that is what I have done today. I have also tried to find neon pigments for the last few days. Quite a difficult task, actually. I know nobody can understand that such an easy thing can be difficult. But it is, if you live in countries like this, behind barriers of customs and a place where European suppliers like to heavily discriminate or over-charge shipping. I mean, ridicilous shipping prices, if they ship here at all. That seems to be the norm. For example 47 Euro ($54.50) for one single 25g bag of mica (suppliesforcandles.co.uk). Okey, they are among the worst, but it is definately not uncommon. Such things makes it almost impossible to get some neon pigments for a reasonable price. Well, I have found, but since the value barely goes over our customs limit, it will be too expensive in the end, with double VAT and fees. So I have googled alternative sources, without result. But I have found a good source of micas and some other supplies like castor oil. I did order yesterday, so I can't say if they are any good or not. But their shipping was so low that I could split the order in two shipments to get under our customs limit. It is from thesoapery.co.uk (they are also on Amazon UK, but I don't recommend Amazon, since they can charge customs and VAT when you don't have to pay any customs or VAT, other than the VAT you will have to pay if suppliers don't do a VAT exempt. God knows what Amazon does with the money they collect on behalf of some countries governments even on VAT free and customs free amounts or goods?). The Soapery don't have a vide array of supplies, but they might be interesting to check out for other people from Norway, Iceland or Switzerland. The axis of evil countries, apparently.

Oh Lord, a too long post, again...! Well, you can just shorten it by not reading it :p

I did not masterbatch oils last night. I did however make my first soap in 3 weeks: charcoal and tea tree. A classic that I have never done before.
IMG_20180621_142004_074.jpeg

Hi, I'm a novice soaper who has just unmolded (is that even a word?!) and sliced my first attempt at rebatching. It's a 'gardener's' soap - made with dandelion leaf
powder that I made myself, but it was oooooozing oil and wouldn't dry out.
Anyways, I'm really pleased with the results. It's probably better now than
it was before it was rebatched, IMHO. It has a lovely rustic appearance. I'm
almost looking forward to rebatching the next failed experiment...

looks very nice!

I am waiting to be able to cut a batch of soap scented with boudoir from Fragrance Buddy. Oh and I finally chose an avatar. The creek on the west side of my yard (which we are hoping doesnt flood after a week of rain)

It is still early but I plan on making a sulfur soap for the market tomorrow. I will probably measure my oils today before work so that when I get home from work I can just put it together... Not sure what else I'm going to do feels like a lazy day considering making bath bombs today but it feels a little moist outside in that probably wouldn't be such a good idea.

It is still early but I plan on making a sulfur soap for the market tomorrow. I will probably measure my oils today before work so that when I get home from work I can just put it together... Not sure what else I'm going to do feels like a lazy day considering making bath bombs today but it feels a little moist outside in that probably wouldn't be such a good idea.

How are you making soap to sell so quickly? Are you making liquid soap? Just curious. Also, please go to the introduction forum and tell us a little about yourself. Welcome!!!

No matter how you make it, soap has to age.
While I don't mind people smelling and touching .... well so long as it isn't some 5 year old with food all over his hands and tossing them around. I actually plan on only putting out a few bars at a time, when one sells, add another or not. Sometimes wonder if you take away 2 from 4 bar row if people think it is a hot seller ! lol

I understand about the bumping.

I am thinking Naked at FM and if I do Etsy or online sales I would wrap in Brown Butcher paper for shipping or offer shrink wrap if they wanted. Maybe wrap in butcher paper at FM when bagging if they buy more then one ;) I have a HUGE roll of butcher paper

When you take soaps to outdoor markets or indoor for that matter, they get extremely dirty. It is much better to wrap and use an end cut for the smell sample. If you do not have end cuts then unwrap an end of a bar for a smell sample. You will be very suprised how dirty they become and my customers will not purchased an unwrapped soap even at discount. I have received many comments about how they appreciate the fact the soaps are wrapped. If you do decide to shrink wrap put your label inside the shrink wrap so your labels do not become tacky looking.

I did not masterbatch oils last night. I did however make my first soap in 3 weeks: charcoal and tea tree. A classic that I have never done before. View attachment 30824
Your charcoal soap looks perfect. I make a tea tree charcoal swirl soap that is a good seller for me

Oh yes, this is the closest I have gotten to making anything soap related today ;) I was going to make some Sunday before returning to the parents next week, but hubby just asked if I would go for a bike ride to Pismo Sunday and come back Monday, yep, told him yes. I have not been on the Harley for so long I have forgotten what to pack, but I know what I am not going to pack....Harley clothes that I have unfortunately outgrown since taking care of the parents. Time to do something about the weight when I have 3 closets full of Harley clothes including a full closet of Harley jackets that I can no longer afford to buy since retirement. Yep, working has big advantages, never used to think twice about walking out of Harley with new jackets. Diet time!

Last edited:
How are you making soap to sell so quickly? Are you making liquid soap? Just curious. Also, please go to the introduction forum and tell us a little about yourself. Welcome!!!
I was going to do it as a hot process, but ended up making it a cold process. Fortunately I do have 1 bar left for my customer who came for it at our last market

I took pics and wrote info and posted soaps on the online store :)
So proud of myself, which is a rarity !
ok ok so I have more to put on there, Gah figuring out prices is hard and getting the Pics straight.... Well, you know.

Back