What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@earlene if you get tired or frustrated messing with it, check out fiverr.com. For $5 I had my handdrawn logo converted to a clean file and text added. They have all kinds of people who can take your basic idea and edit it for you.

I did cut one of Monday's two soaps last night. The one that riced on me came out as poorly as expected. I was about to chuck it, but then decided I would try rebatching it over the weekend, so it is sitting off to the side waiting to be shredded. I was going to work on my soap dough entry while watching TV, but one of the stepkids had knocked over the tray that I was using and so not only did my soap design end up on the floor, but the million tiny leaves that I had made wound up scattered through the family room, and the unused soap dough was mashed out of the plastic wrap and into the carpeting as if a herd of elephants had come storming through and stopped to dance the cha-cha. Sigh. I'm trying not to be too angry, because I should have taken the tray back to the soap lab instead of leaving it on the coffee table, but still... I'm mad. Now I have to make new soap dough. If anyone has any advice for getting soap dough out of carpeting, I have a stepson who is VERY interested. :shakinghead:

Thank you for that tip, amd. The like was for that, not for the soap dough disaster.!

No clue here regarding getting soap dough out of carpet. I would guess, though that once dry enough, scraping with a very dull tool (knife-like tool, but not sharp) that most of it would come up and then vacuuming up the dusty bits. I wouldn't want to get it wet when it has lots of soap dough because that would be very hard to remove, I think.

Finally broke down and purchased soap maker 3. I need to get a better handle on exactly what each bar is costing, including packaging. I’m historically not great at remembering to add in the labels, etc. in other soapy news, I cut my apricot freesia and I’m pretty pleased with it.

Attachments

• 996C8A1A-6064-4E69-B3A5-17C270E345E3.jpeg
    996C8A1A-6064-4E69-B3A5-17C270E345E3.jpeg
    53.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 8D9628FB-782C-416F-A0C9-6EA9C397E2F7.jpeg
    8D9628FB-782C-416F-A0C9-6EA9C397E2F7.jpeg
    75.3 KB · Views: 19
Today I am preparing what to bring along for my granddaughter and I to work on together. I leave for Texas in the morning. So far, these are on my list: Soap dough & materials needed for making designs; MP base & some colorants; Soaps to package & label (I'll probably do that on my own while she's in school); a couple of videogames (okay, not soapy stuff, but I promised her I'd bring Kameo, a game she loved when she was little & a new one I bought for me). I should add a couple of FO samples to the mix, too. Oh, and a couple of molds she might like to use with MP.

I also placed an order for two Milky Way molds a lady on eBay is selling. Milky Way doesn't sell them anymore, so I was happy to find them after watching a this video yesterday:

Good luck at your show Shari. I have 6 buckets batched to make up Werewolf, Cracklin Birch, a new Volcano type FO, Lavender Tassi from the Sage that I am trying and Lavender Fields from California Candle and the last one I am debating. I am frustrated with Lavender EO fading so trying out these 2 fo's. Anyone happen to know if Tassi accelerates?

This is my last chance to soap for a month since my dear sis sprung the surprise she is leaving in the morning. :( Hope God can forgive me, but I do not want to go. I told her she needs to come back in 3 weeks, since that is how long she stays...

Good luck at your show Shari. I have 6 buckets batched to make up Werewolf, Cracklin Birch, a new Volcano type FO, Lavender Tassi from the Sage that I am trying and Lavender Fields from California Candle and the last one I am debating. I am frustrated with Lavender EO fading so trying out these 2 fo's. Anyone happen to know if Tassi accelerates?

This is my last chance to soap for a month since my dear sis sprung the surprise she is leaving in the morning. :( Hope God can forgive me, but I do not want to go. I told her she needs to come back in 3 weeks, since that is how long she stays...

Thank you! Good luck with all your soaps. I’ve not tried Tassi Lavender from the sage but have from somewhere else, can’t re,e,bet though.

God will forgive you. You don’t want to go but you will. Sending you positive thoughts and prayers to keep you strong. Virtual hugs to you!

Thank you! Good luck with all your soaps. I’ve not tried Tassi Lavender from the sage but have from somewhere else, can’t re,e,bet though.

God will forgive you. You don’t want to go but you will. Sending you positive thoughts and prayers to keep you strong. Virtual hugs to you!
Thankyou, as for the Tassi Lavender it gave me a headache, but soaped beautifully, I am not liking it now but will wait to judge after cure. The lavender Fields also soaped beautifully, but is not very strong, so again have to wait and see. I am heading in to soap the Volcano type now. Just hoping the name is not indicative of what it might do :p

Pics of the soaps I was able to get made yesterday. Happy day when I get 6 out of 6 with Gremlins! These are all dual lye vinegar soap all cut and on the rack. The lavender/purple are 2 different lavender fo's I am testing, Volcano is in front of the lavenders, on the right is Werewolf, Plumeria and Cracklin Birch. Volcano is an interesting fo but think I like it. The Tassi Lavender the 2 shades of purple I am not sure I like at all it is from The Sage, the uncolored base with lavender swirl is Lavender Fields from California Candle and I do like it just have to wait and see how it holds.
20180224_071122[1].jpg

Last edited:
I started to make soap but realized I was out of lye. So mixed the oils for two batches instead.

Made a batch of soap with peach FO. For the first time ever my Kitchenaid stick blender got hot. I love the way the Georgia Peach FO from WSP smells, but good heavens does it cause some separation requiring marathon use of a stick blender.

My arm is sore.

It's a good addiction!

Nope to washing up straight away. Wipe off as much batter as possible then leave everything until it's saponified. Much easier to clean and better for your drains. Throw any rags in the wash after waiting too. Just don't wipe bulky bits up with rags. Use paper towel for that and toss em. I feel so Martha Stewartish right now.

Such a good question. I had that same quandary after making my first batch. I made the mistake of handling the utensils with gloves off, although I don't think I did myself any damage. My hands are fine.

Only thing I worry about is handling the little plastic tub in which I weighed my lye crystals. It was very slick and slimy and I just decided to fill it with water and leave it alone. Did I do the right thing?

Thanks for the woohoo - now we'll see what happens. I made mistakes, but it was my first batch.

I couldn't resist & checked the molds. Still very soft. I pressed a finger onto the surface of one of the molds (I used 1 cup plastic food containers that I hardly ever use), and it was soft, like butter you've left out for an hour. My finger was a bit oily - I rubbed the oil onto my hand. No stinging or burning, no caustic lye effect. But not soap. Patience, Jedi.

I made another batch of Ice Queen soap, this time using Ultramarine Blue so no morphing this time. Scented with Sensual Sandalwood FO from Voyageur.
Yesterday, I made Poop soap, using a cupcake mold my daughter bought to make cupcakes for her son's 9th birthday. I know a few people, little and not so little boys, who are looking forward to this one. It's scented with Chocolate Fudge FO.

Last edited:
Please please please keep posting pictures - y'all are awesome! Unlike me, who is an uninspired lump of soap dough smashed into the family room carpet. (I *might* be a bit sore yet over that incident...)

Over the weekend I priced out making 200 lip balms for a friend to use as giveaways with her home business. Worked on labels for the salt bars that will go to the spa. Made a batch of bubble scoops for my nieces - half are grape soda and half are s'mores scented. Surprisingly the s'mores have not discolored yet. Worked on display design with Chris - he is my master builder of all things and a design drafter to boot, so he was able to mockup my idea on SolidWorks (a 3D modeling software, for those who don't know). It's a huge help to be able to see it before he builds it because we had to make several modifications to get the look I wanted. I'm starting to compile my list of shows and figuring out which ones I want to do. I have a meeting with a new insurance agent today who will hopefully have a better quote for me than what I've been paying for business insurance. I've also been spending a lot of time thinking about what type of soaps I really want to make. I suspect some of my "I don't want to make soap" issues have just come down to overwhelming myself with making "fancy" soaps, when really... I just want to make simpler bars with no imbeds, just nice swirls or layers or solid colors. So I'm realigning my future soaps with that in mind. Hopefully this week will be a good week to make soap :D

Latest posts

Back