What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stearic Acid arrived today. Blended my EOs to make my first batch of shaving soap - Orange, bergamot, rosemary, lavender and tea tree. Smells good (surprisingly)!

DH has been asking for shaving soap for a while, so am going to give it a go today......that's his valentine's present :D

Cut my Cucumber & Kiwi loaf. It as an ITPS and I’m really pleased with how it came out. I’m finally figuring out just how thin a trace is needed, I think.
IMG_2828.jpg
IMG_2826.jpg

I Love that ! I wonder if I can get the silicone impression mat off Amazon

Yes, I have priced a few, but not purchased. I haven't found a design I like enough to pay the high price. They aren't cheap.

Cut my Cucumber & Kiwi loaf. It as an ITPS and I’m really pleased with how it came out. I’m finally figuring out just how thin a trace is needed, I think.View attachment 28781View attachment 28782

Beautiful, Karen! The swirl is lovely and such a wonderful shade of green against the snow white. If only someone could figure out how to embed and impart fragrance via photographs and the internet!

Today, I looked through my supplies hoping I might have Cetyl Alcohol, but it's Stearyl Alcohol. I thought I had E-wax, but can't find any, so I guess I post-poned that order. I want to order BTMS - 50, but it's more expensive than I thought is was going to be, and when I add the shipping to the 3 things I want to order, the cost is then doubled. Now I am just browsing the web trying to find another supplier that has all 3, and maybe might have more affordable bottom line cost. Getting lost in the the interwebs!

But on the bright side and a sense of accomplishment: My audiologist taught me how to replace the hearing aide domes on my hearing aides so if that happens again, I can do it myself. It was very easy and I wish I had know from the start. Less bright side: Barium swallow tomorrow.

earlene, have you checked saveoncitric?
Thank you, I did, but they only had some of what I wanted, but I didn't check to see how the shipping would work out for those. I kept the page open so I can come back to it. I got a bit lost in the search and decided to watch the Olympics instead after awhile.

I will try again later today after I get past this barium swallow test. I'd like to get this ordered today.

Made my first brine soap. Wow! You guys weren’t kidding when you said the salt accelerate things. I made a small batch and barely had time to get it in the Individual molds. We’ll see how things look tomorrow.

Soap Addict I love those molds, and have many of them soap addict! In this thread a while back, I posted a fence I made for it with popsicle sticks, because it will tend to bow without support. Otherwise put a couple of boxes around it.

I have been meaning to put my mermaid soap I cut a few days ago. It nothing like I had planned, but is sort of ok. Oh well.

Last edited:
I finally got that order in, or should I say two orders. Lotioncrafter's shipping is much higher than SaveOnCitric, but SOC doesn't have everything I wanted and/or in smaller quantities, so I had to do it in two orders. I also requested a sample of rice bran wax from a company that sends out samples. I want to try it in my deodorant because it has a nice high melting point. (I travel a lot in hot temperatures, so have been searching for high melt point ingredients to prevent the deodorant from melting in my luggage during my roadtrips.)

Health update: Barrett's Esophagus has been ruled out, thankfully, but they are still looking for the exact cause for symptoms in order to find a solution. One of my brothers was just diagnosed with BE, and strangely enough the last time I was diagnosed with something, two of my brothers received the same diagnosis within a few months. So I tend to be a bit supsicious/superstitious when we have the similar symptoms that history will repeat itself. All these tests, though have removed my motivation to get started again on any soapmaking. Each day I think, I'll make soap today, and each day, I don't. It's been going on for over a week now, maybe two. Also my DIL called and asked me to come because granddaughter is going through some unpleasant stuff right now and I need to get to Texas as soon as I can. My doctor understands and made sure the barium swallow was scheduled earlier than would have normally happened, so that was very nice of him. But I am still awaiting the results and to find out what comes next.

Last night I made "Baby Jesus" soap (as my husband calls it) with frankincense & myrrh, and gold jojoba beads. Tonight I solemnly swear that I am going to do my entry for the soap dough challenge. My dough is ready to go and I finally sketched out my design and got it to fit properly on the top of the loaf so that the cut bars will still have a nice design on them even without seeing the big picture. Now if my hand molding skills are up to par with my sketching skills, all will be well. I still have to make my April soap for my subscription soap club, but I haven't committed myself to a design yet. I want to mix two fragrances, but I know one of them accelerates, which will limit my design choices. We'll see what I come up with. We may all be surprised.

Actually managed to get 2 batches of soap made tonight, I had been trying all day. One batch of Gardenia Hump Day Soap, (with camel milk), and a DB mix that I think is going to be really promising. Sorry can't divulge the mix since it was not one of my originals. Whooppeeee both behaved even though the Gardenia does accelerate, it still let me swirl. Sadly I used the last of my really good sticking Gardenia and not sure if I can afford to get it made. I think I have a min of 25 lbs to purchase, sadly my friend quit carrying it because it was to costly. Going to call him next week

I made 3 batches of soap today. The first was a coworker request. The second was to use up the last of my soap dough and the third was a recipe test batch. I had planned to save some of the third batch for soap dough. I got so distracted by my purple morphing that I forgot to save some & poured the entire batch into molds.
Cmzaha, what's a DB mix? I'm trying to think of what bath & body products start with DB but I'm watching crime shows on TV so dead body mix is all that's coming to my mind lol.

Last edited:
Just un-molded and cut 5 soap batches I made yesterday. Actually 2 batches was a shred made from my rebatched Patchouli soap that I had a 50 or so percent superfat and it turned out like doggie poop, so I shredded it and made a new batch yesterday. It is acceptable but I will not go as far as to say it is a pretty confetti soap. Hard to get a color to complement dog poopie...:oops: and then, of course the color I decided on did not turn out as expected. I also had leftover from the shred batch so put that in my 2lb mold and layered it with a layer of lemongrass. It smells very nice. Oh well, just could not waste 8 oz of patchouli eo.

After that I made Lemongrass, Litsea & Clary Sage, Lemongrass FO scented lastly I made a 2lb test batch of WSP Guava Fig . Not sure I like the Guava Fig, but it turned out nice and the fragrance soaps with no acceleration. The Lemongrass FO I use smells better than Lemongrass EO. It has a sharper lemon scent somewhat similiar to Litsea and sells out quickly. It is from California Candle Supply, and sticks well. Although I have never had any over 6 months or so old it sells so fast.

Now that I seem to be back in the groove momentarily at least, I am out of PKO, CO and very little Castor left, so cannot make any today :(, unless I decide to pay $12 for a 102 fl oz container at Big Lots. I pay $48 and no shipping for 35 lbs. Kinda like when I ran out of lye and refused to pay $5 a lb from the hardware store. Funny story there, I did finally break down and buy one, but never got the soap made so now the bottle is haunting and laughing at me. I since made it out to get my 50lb bag :rolleyes:

It was actually yesterday, but I made my second batch of soap, which is oatmeal, almond milk, and honey. I made a few mistakes - adding honey at the wrong time, not blending said honey in adequately, and mis-measuring the batch size - but at least they're not the same ones I had made with the first batch, so I'd call that an improvement. I refrigerated the loaf and put the two yogurt containers in a cold closet overnight, so the soap didn't gel, but it is reeking of ammonia, so I hope that will disappear with time. Finally, the recipe I concocted called for 50% olive oil (about half the bottle), so if the information from all those videos and articles is correct I'll have to wait a few days to unmold (and I hate waiting).

Back