What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made a simple one color batch of CP with a lot of nice beef tallow that my son’s friend brought me. This is my first time using The One Mold. The instructions say to leave the soap in the mold for at least 48 hours. I’m going to do that. If anyone has tips on using this mold I welcome them.

Attachments

• E5C6F224-25FD-4CF8-AF91-E72F0CA26DE5.jpeg
    E5C6F224-25FD-4CF8-AF91-E72F0CA26DE5.jpeg
    36.6 KB · Views: 21
Wardbond, are you a fan of the actor? I loved Wagon Train, but Ward Bond in any movie was always one I would watch.

That's very courageous of you to boil your own mud to use for soap making.

I can't even imagine a heating pad that would get so hot it would turn CP soap into HP. Sometimes my heating pad gets too warm for my body, though, so I suppose some can get too hot. Does it have a lower setting? If not, I would probably not use that heating pad on my body ever.

Skatergirl46, you have The One Mold!? Wow, I am impressed. I've seen it, but it is so expensive, I would not be able to justify the expense. How do you like it so far?

Lin19687, some other soapers here have used bacon grease before apparently without any issues, so I don't think it's a problem. SoapQueen posted this on the How to Render Bacon Grease for Soapmaking: https://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-body-tutorials/tips-and-tricks/render-lard-home/

And actually using used cooking oils for making soap is something done in many parts of the world, so I don't think it's a bad idea, as long as impurities are cleaned out and all other good soaping practices are followed.

Very nice.
Yesterday we had a snow/Sleet storm so I let DD say home from school. I didn't do any soaping as the BB I was going to do would not be good in higher moisture days, but DID get to the gym.

TODAY is play with BB recipe and see what I like.

wardbond,
Not sure soaping with Used oils is good, nor with bacon grease?
They aren't for resale....

Wardbond, are you a fan of the actor? I loved Wagon Train, but Ward Bond in any movie was always one I would watch.

That's very courageous of you to boil your own mud to use for soap making.

I can't even imagine a heating pad that would get so hot it would turn CP soap into HP. Sometimes my heating pad gets too warm for my body, though, so I suppose some can get too hot. Does it have a lower setting? If not, I would probably not use that heating pad on my body ever.

Skatergirl46, you have The One Mold!? Wow, I am impressed. I've seen it, but it is so expensive, I would not be able to justify the expense. How do you like it so far?

Lin19687, some other soapers here have used bacon grease before apparently without any issues, so I don't think it's a problem. SoapQueen posted this on the How to Render Bacon Grease for Soapmaking: https://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-body-tutorials/tips-and-tricks/render-lard-home/

And actually using used cooking oils for making soap is something done in many parts of the world, so I don't think it's a bad idea, as long as impurities are cleaned out and all other good soaping practices are followed.
Here is a quick tutorial about clay and how to extract it from "mud"

Processing Clay the Easy Way - Practical Primitive.
http://www.practicalprimitive.com/skillofthemonth/processingclay.html

I also sterilized it after as I was putting it in soap... You strain out the layers and collect the finest silt. And the clay layers after it settles.then let it dry out to a powder.

Alternatively to steralize, add it to the lye mixture rather than at trace.

This book also outlines multiple methods for "clarification" of used oils using alum salt or sodium salt and acid (vinegar, lemon, citric) to treat the oil then precipitate the solids

Merilyn Mohr

The Art of Soap Making
59aa28f16c3b9f2dc2f091e339978fd6f1621ad6.jpg

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/092065603X/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Another method more expensive is using Fuller's earth. ->.

I bought some potassium permaganate from my Walmart pharmacy... It is a powerful antioxidant. That is used in fish tanks and around the world to stertilize raw vegetables to eat. To "purify" the canola oil

Living for my half and half (get it?) The carton was great. The soap fits in your hand..

Ward

Last edited by a moderator:
I went and found my misplaced ROE and put it back where I keep it (beside my soaping worktable). The last time I opened a bottle of RBO, I reached for my ROE and it was gone. I searched and couldn't find it and was at a loss as to what had happened to it. Today I started looking at ordering more, but because it is so expensive, I was determined to just find the bottle I already have. Where would you go if you were a bottle of ROE?

As it turns out, I had accidentally put it into a container filled with various FO's. It was well camouflaged there among the FO's and if it hadn't occurred to me that I had recently used that bin, I may have never found it!

I did place an order, but at least didn't have to spend money on more ROE.

I shrink wrapped two small batches (18 bars in total) of soap this evening and came up with my own system of labelling them with the batch numbers (i.e. 2.18.18.5, where 2.18.18 is the date and the 5 is the batch number). Proper labelling still to come in time.

I'm also thinking about and mentally preparing for making a couple more batches this weekend. It's a long weekend here so I'll have three whole days to make as much (or little) soap as I want!

As well, I put a thank you package together for an old friend who came up with the perfect name for one of my batches of soap. As a thank you, I'm sending her a bar of that soap. We went to grade school together in the early 60's and I haven't seen her since. We moved from Winnipeg to the Vancouver area in 1966. It turns out that her mother-in-law and my mother live in the same building.

Yesterday I ended up just formulating and looking for local oils to buy.
I have Jedwards here and was emailing them about what they have. GREAT PRICES !!
And they have Citric acid and Glycerin !! Wish I knew that before I bought some off Amazon.

I did get my Heat sealer in the mail and tried it out on the roll of wrap I have, works great.

Today I get to move my "office/soaping room" down to the 1st floor and kick DD to the smaller room upstairs. 10x10 to a 15x15 ;)

i think I will get everything fully all set and then soap/BB next week.

It turns out that her mother-in-law and my mother live in the same building.
Small world! I sometimes wonder about some of my close friends from school, but have no idea where any of them are anymore. How nice that you have been able to re-connect.

I entered a bunch of soaps in a soap competition! Eek!
Good luck, Primrose!

Drying out 1.5 kilos of coffee grounds in trays and the dehydrator yesterday to use in sugar scrubs. House smells wonderful but couldn't get to sleep until almost 3:30 a.m.! Must've breathed in heaps of minute coffee particles and dosed up on caffeine..... whoops! :oops::)

I didn't go to work today because I was sick but I walked to the store in this weather (we're expecting up to 10 inches of snow today) to get corn starch for soap dough! I picked up some cold medicine while I was out too lol.
1518202162008.jpeg

Well, I admire your dedication, SoapAddict, but why do that when you are sick? I have not left the house since Tuesday and don't plan to with this snow. It's been coming down for hours and I wondered why Hubby even bothered moving snow yesterday, when he knew what it would be like today. Well, if he hadn't he would have more to do later, so that's why.

I had a bit of a panic over a lost credit card, but finally found it. I was so out of it on Tuesday that I misplaced it in my wallet and when I went to place an order with Soaper's Choice it wasn't where it belonged. I searched the entire purse, pockets from clothes I wore on Tuesday, the washing machine & dryer and the wallet again, called the restaurant where we ate after my procedure (big mistake going out to lunch!), checked my credit card activity online (no charges since the Tuesday lunch), called & texted my husband, and checked my wallet a third time before finding it at last!

So I have ordered some more Castor Oil and Sunflower HO as I had run out of both. I decided to go ahead and order tallow to see if Hubby or brothers notice a difference with tallow vs lard. I actually don't even know if they notice a difference with lard vs non-lard because no one has said anything other than my niece who rose an eyebrow about lard in soap. I don't like animal fats myself, but it was cheap and most of the rest of the family are not vegetarians. Anyway 4 bottles of oils fill the box and the shipping would be the same for 3, so giving it a go. (I chose 2 bottles of Sunflower HO, instead of 2 of tallow, as I just don't know about the tallow.)

Still undecided about a couple of other orders I have in process with some other vendors. I do want to go to the PO to mail some soap to family, but not until we have clear streets again. I do have to go to Dr. appointments on both Monday & Wednesday, so maybe I'll p/u some flat rate boxes on Monday so I can mail them on Wednesday.

Yesterday I finished felting 60 wool dryer balls to go with my laundry soap, and I just poured a new batch of cowhide soap that I’m donating for auction at the National Highland Cattle Convention that will take place in June.

I put together a lovely kitchen cart (Costco, $70) as well as a file cart (also Costco, $17). Now I have a dedicated soap cutting & packaging station, and a place to keep all that shrink wrap, heat gun, sealer, etc. I didn’t want to move my soap cutter around that much, but it was taking up valuable working space, and I don’t have shelving big enough to handle it.

I didn't go to work today because I was sick but I walked to the store in this weather (we're expecting up to 10 inches of snow today) to get corn starch for soap dough! I picked up some cold medicine while I was out too lol.View attachment 28663

Hope you are feeling better. You have a good excuse to stay in and play with your soap dough.

Back