What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took the lid off the crockpot to look at my liquid soap, which is resolutely not diluting, put the lid back on again and did something else.

I just made my second batch of soap. I used two colours but just did a very basic layered look where you basically drop them on top of each other. Looks pretty.

I need to work something out with my alcohol. I've got it in a spray bottle but the drops must be too big because they indent the soap a little. I couldn't find something that sprays finer when I was at the shops the other day though. I also need to buy a mini mixer for my colours.

Other than that I read a few threads on here. That is about all I've had time for.

Gave away a box of Chef's Soap made with coffee, goatmilk & honey to the lovely baristas in our local coffee shop who supply me with used coffee grounds - all organic and ethically grown.

coffee soap 2.jpg

Ok so Wed is a 1/2 day for my DD at school so it was a good thing I dont' do much on Wed.
BUT I did manage to get a recipe written out, measured all I wanted (except for the Lye) and ready to soap after i drop her off and have my 3rd cup of coffee.
3rd cup because I woke up at 4am :eek:.

So I will do this tiny test batch with Lavender EO and see how it goes.

I need to work something out with my alcohol. I've got it in a spray bottle but the drops must be too big because they indent the soap a little. I couldn't find something that sprays finer when I was at the shops the other day though. I also need to buy a mini mixer for my colours.

Other than that I read a few threads on here. That is about all I've had time for.
I used to get those little indentations, too, Jayne. So annoying, right? Have you turned the nozzle slightly to one side or the other to adjust the spray? Some spray bottles are more responsive than others, of course. I thought of using a mister from the garden section in stores, but all they had were made of copper, so that was out. I did go to a much smaller bottle that seems to be working very well because the adjustable nozzle is pretty good. I have seen some soapers on youtube use really tiny bottles for misting the alcohol onto their soap batter. Tiny like they only hold less than 3 ounces (airplane carry-on size) and those probably have a very fine spray. I am happy with my slightly larger bottles that hold at least 4 or 5 ounces (maybe more). I got them at Dollar General I believe.

We were gone for several hours yesterday, eating out, shopping. Never did go to the movies. Hubby wants to see as many of the movies that got top Academy nominations. So far, I've seen 4 of them I think, but he has only seen 3. We need to get out to more movies on his days off! Anyway, I searched for some things to use with soap dough and just picked up a couple things, a small rolling pin & some plastic shape cutters. I have so much stuff in my Amazon cart, I wanted to see if I could find any of it locally. Looks like it's a real hit & miss proposition. But then I did not go to places like Hobby Lobby or Michael's where I would probably have a better selection. Our 5 store visits were basically for groceries, so hobby stores were not on the agenda.

Today soap dough play is on the agenda, as well as making some more in a couple of blue hues. But I have been interrupted by having to deal with medical appointments and preparations for them. Next week I have an endoscopy & colonoscopy scheduled and because of the day-before the procedure prep involved had to re-schedule my appt with my orthopedist (hip issues that did not show up in x-ray.) I wonder if I'll be up to going to the movies after an endo & colonoscopy next Tuesday? I'm thinking maybe not, but maybe the next day.

Gave away a box of Chef's Soap made with coffee, goatmilk & honey to the lovely baristas in our local coffee shop who supply me with used coffee grounds - all organic and ethically grown.]

Great colour. Is it only coloured with used coffee grounds? Does the colour run?

I tried to get it that colour but the colour runs.

Great colour. Is it only coloured with used coffee grounds? Does the colour run?

I tried to get it that colour but the colour runs.

Thank you.
The lighter colour in the middle section is from the reaction of the goatmilk with honey. I let it gel and it came out a nice cappucino colour. The coffee grounds might have contributed a bit to the colour but I think it is mainly from the gelled milk and honey. I used frozen goatmilk instead of water for the lye solution.
The top and bottom layers (dark brown layers) are also goatmilk and honey, with some cocoa powder blended in. The colour runs a little bit to start with, but once the soap has been used a few times the bubbles are clear/ white. I might use less cocoa powder next time.
There is a faint smell of coffee in the soap which is a pleasant surprise as I was not expecting it to survive after cure.

I made bubble scoops for the first time in a year. I also bought coconut milk to make Chris's salt bars with. I am one step closer to getting him off my back about it! Geez. I don't know what his problem is, it's not like they take 2-3 months to cure or something...

Also, just discovered the new forum now has a like button in the app! Life.complete.
20180201_205545.jpg

We were gone for several hours yesterday, eating out, shopping. Never did go to the movies. Hubby wants to see as many of the movies that got top Academy nominations. So far, I've seen 4 of them I think, but he has only seen 3. We need to get out to more movies on his days off! Anyway, I searched for some things to use with soap dough and just picked up a couple things, a small rolling pin & some plastic shape cutters. I have so much stuff in my Amazon cart, I wanted to see if I could find any of it locally. Looks like it's a real hit & miss proposition. But then I did not go to places like Hobby Lobby or Michael's where I would probably have a better selection. Our 5 store visits were basically for groceries, so hobby stores were not on the agenda.

Today soap dough play is on the agenda, as well as making some more in a couple of blue hues. But I have been interrupted by having to deal with medical appointments and preparations for them. Next week I have an endoscopy & colonoscopy scheduled and because of the day-before the procedure prep involved had to re-schedule my appt with my orthopedist (hip issues that did not show up in x-ray.) I wonder if I'll be up to going to the movies after an endo & colonoscopy next Tuesday? I'm thinking maybe not, but maybe the next day.

Good luck with the procedures - hope all goes well and everything turns out ok. :)

Last edited:
OMG those bubble scoops look awesome ! I think I need to make those.

I need to look up how to make shower steamers or Shower smellies

I've been wrecking my brain redoing my website. I don't know why I'm having these delimas, I'm great with this stuff. Oh well, progress is being made, nonetheless.

Bubble scoops yum!

Here is my ongoing experiment with color. Yes, I had to add an MP embed ;)

So far is holding good, and is being a week.

20180130_224655.jpg

About 2 months ago, my sister told me about a shopping app called Wish & I'm hooked on it. Shipping can take a couple of weeks as most of the stuff comes from China but some of the molds I got were free, I just had to pay up to $3 for shipping.
I've learned that you have to double check the size of the item. Don't rely on the picture shown as free items are often smaller. The free blanket that I ordered for my queen sized bed was barely big enough for my Jack Russell terrier but for $3 shipping, my fur girl got a new blanket.
The Koi fish mold was bigger than I expected & the teddy bear mold was smaller than expected but I'm still happy. The flat square one is a butterfly fondant mold. I plan to test that one this weekend. I also got a soap stamp that says "Natural Handmade". Including shipping, I've paid less than $20 for everything.
IMG_20180202_164636_1.jpg
IMG_20180202_164702.jpg

I love everything fabric, actually I am kind of a fabric hoarder, I decided to try to make a batik soap. It is scented with nurture's fairy garden FO. I wanted the white (pale lilac) lines to be clearer but I think they overheated. Anywho I like them better the way they came out, but pretty sure I won't be able to repeat it. o_O
39336260464_f62b2f6370_n.jpg

OMG those bubble scoops look awesome ! I think I need to make those.

I need to look up how to make shower steamers or Shower smellies

I need to do those too. The teenagers cleaned me out when they all had head colds (they were menthol/eucalyptus/mint).

I am down to about 8 bubble scoops left for my show tomorrow... I have to remember to wait until after the show to post them on FB, otherwise I don't take as many as I would like! A good problem to have.

I'm googling soap jelly. My daughter discovered it at the Lush store when were at MOA for new year's eve. This is working well for my squirrel brain can't focus on a single soap project at one time brain... I need to reign it all in and get one.thing.done. at a time. Sigh. Well tonight will be the husband's salt bars for sure, packing for the show, and if I can squeeze it in: laying out a sketch for the February challenge.

I need to do those too. The teenagers cleaned me out when they all had head colds (they were menthol/eucalyptus/mint).

I am down to about 8 bubble scoops left for my show tomorrow... I have to remember to wait until after the show to post them on FB, otherwise I don't take as many as I would like! A good problem to have.

I'm googling soap jelly. My daughter discovered it at the Lush store when were at MOA for new year's eve. This is working well for my squirrel brain can't focus on a single soap project at one time brain... I need to reign it all in and get one.thing.done. at a time. Sigh. Well tonight will be the husband's salt bars for sure, packing for the show, and if I can squeeze it in: laying out a sketch for the February challenge.

My niece gave me a Lush shower jelly a couple of years ago (grape fragrance) which was fun to play with but a bit difficult to use. I came across this recipe but haven't tried it yet. Thought you might be interested :)
http://curious-soapmaker.com/how-to-make-lush-like-shower-jelly.html

Back