What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing. Again. Too bloomin' hot (well over 100F) ... AND humid (nightly thunderstorms for the last week or so). It's a waiting game ... the temperature isn't going to break for another couple of days. And then it will be just humid.

Nice pile of goodies (and soap!) Misschief

Nothing. Again. Too bloomin' hot (well over 100F) ... AND humid (nightly thunderstorms for the last week or so). It's a waiting game ... the temperature isn't going to break for another couple of days. And then it will be just humid.

Nice pile of goodies (and soap!) Misschief

That's hot. We get those temps in the summer but we don't get the humidity. That's why spring and autumn are my favorite seasons. You have my sympathy.

That's hot. We get those temps in the summer but we don't get the humidity. That's why spring and autumn are my favorite seasons. You have my sympathy.

Spring? Autumn? OH! You mean those two weeks between too hot and too cold?

I have to laugh at people around here. They start complaining about how "muggy" and "sticky" it is when the relative humid hits 20% or so.

Although I started the batch last night, it still counts as a 'today' soapy thing, as I was still cleaning the oven at 3am!! Some reall challenges, but it was a successful 'natural colorant' experiment (pics in HP lovers thread). I'm SO excited because I just LOVE the look of natural colorants in general. It was a HP, but I did have a layer of CP!

I have to laugh at people around here. They start complaining about how "muggy" and "sticky" it is when the relative humid hits 20% or so.

My daughter posted something on FB a little while back, while we were in the middle of a dump of snow. It went along the lines of, "I can't wait until summer's here so I can complain about the heat." Yup, that's what we do.

I unmolded and cut my first attempt at a dancing funnel pour. It didn't turn out quite as I'd hoped but I'm very happy with it. It's a technique I will definitely try again because it's so cool looking. This one is scented with Voyageur's Rain. I find it a very strong FO; this batch only has 1 teaspoon in it (1000 gram batch) and it's plenty strong enough.

The second picture is my rimmed soap, made with the leftovers from the Rain soap. The rim was made with soap dough.

Dancing in the Rain_cut.jpg

Rimmed Soap_trimmed.jpg

Nothing. Again. Too bloomin' hot (well over 100F) ... AND humid (nightly thunderstorms for the last week or so). It's a waiting game ... the temperature isn't going to break for another couple of days. And then it will be just humid. f

Yes same here. 95% humidity for a few days - but we are on the coast!
I can handle heat but humidity like this kills me!

Made some soap yesterday regardless. Stuffed it up because I thought I’d made a mistake weighing the oils and removed some. Remembered later that I’d added the FO so the “overweight” was right. So I have a high lye concentrated soap.

Heat induced brain fog.

I unmolded and cut my first attempt at a dancing funnel pour. It didn't turn out quite as I'd hoped but I'm very happy with it. It's a technique I will definitely try again because it's so cool looking.

The second picture is my rimmed soap, made with the leftovers from the Rain soap. The rim was made with soap dough.

Love the washer!

Ack! We're pretty lucky here - we might have the occasional forest fire or flood but we really don't have any wild or crazy weather. Winters don't get crazy cold (-10 to -20ºC max) or really hot and humid summers. We can get up into the mid 30's C but it's usually only for a couple of weeks.

Right now, it's hovering around freezing and slowing lightly.

Misschief, the dancing funnel pour is pretty cool looking, but SO time intensive! I've only done it once, though, maybe it gets easier with practice. I keep planning to do it again, then just haven't yet. I really like the colors of yours.

Thanks for the giggle!

Made some soap yesterday regardless. Stuffed it up because I thought I’d made a mistake weighing the oils and removed some. Remembered later that I’d added the FO so the “overweight” was right. So I have a high lye concentrated soap.

Heat induced brain fog.

Same ... I kept on making (fortunately catching, but still making) mistakes with the soleseife trials. It was at the moment that I made up a fresh batch of lye with plain (distilled) water instead of the saturated salt solution I'd prepared, that I finally called it quits and stopped until the heat and humidity goes away.

Ack! We're pretty lucky here - we might have the occasional forest fire or flood but we really don't have any wild or crazy weather. Winters don't get crazy cold (-10 to -20ºC max) or really hot and humid summers. We can get up into the mid 30's C but it's usually only for a couple of weeks.

Right now, it's hovering around freezing and slowing lightly.

Our overnight forecast was for "An oppressive night". Seriously ... that's what the government website said, and it was. There ended up being power grid shutdowns in some areas (which missed here, but a lot of people couldn't even run their cooling systems). Your weather sounds blissful, Misschief.

And beautiful dancing funnel pour - I really like the gentle color scheme :)

Our overnight forecast was for "An oppressive night". Seriously ... that's what the government website said, and it was. There ended up being power grid shutdowns in some areas (which missed here, but a lot of people couldn't even run their cooling systems). Your weather sounds blissful, Misschief.

And beautiful dancing funnel pour - I really like the gentle color scheme :)

I'm not sure I could handle that kind of heat and humidity. I remember my in-laws went to Aus. once to visit one of their daughters. MIL would put her pillow in the deep freeze so she could sleep.

Thank you for the compliment. I'm happy with it but it isn't quite what I had envisioned. My dancing funnel pour needs some practice.

Well, now both my sons have asked me to teach them how to make soap so they can sell to make money. No, second son just asked how feasible it is to start a soap making business if I teach him to make soap. First son I told outright it wouldn't work for him (because it wouldn't) as well as telling him what it would take. He took my word for it and hasn't brought it up again. That was a over a year ago. Second son, asked today while we were on the phone. I told him I would be happy to teach him to make soap but also all the detail of initial costs, research and development, etc, plus insurance and whatnot. I suggested he do a bit of research online about what it takes to run a soap making business, so we shall see what comes of that. I wouldn't mind teaching him to make soap; it would be fun, I think. But I told him for me it's an expensive hobby.

Today I shrink wrapped some soap and watched more soap dough videos.

Testing: Hooray, I can edit older posts again. That's the way it SHOULD be!

Last edited:
Rebooked my lye delivery so it didn't get delivered in the middle of a thunderstorm :neutral:.

Still thinking about the drawing/painting with SunRiseArts.
(At this rate it might have to be an Autumn project, just to get a clear few days. I am looking forward to this project and waiting is so frustrating.)

Made a boatload of MP embeds and then cut my unicorn poop soap. Putting that one together was just one of those struggles. Measured half the lye solution instead of the double batch I intended. Figured that out and fixed it and then forgot to add the fragrance until I just started to pour. The fragrance is light (WSP Unicorn poop at 4%) x next time I’ll go heavier but I don’t like strong scents so always go light on first batch. Even my husband liked it! Overall I’m pleased with how this turned out with the soap balls and beveling trimmings randomly scattered.

587FB867-F9AB-4A85-814A-9FEEE2D54AB4.jpeg

Back