What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@amd, don't forget to share your pics when you cut the soaps. The pink & black sounds like it'll be gorgeous!

The castile turned out gorgeous! I'll post a pic tonight when I get home. My beer soap did not fair as well. I really need to start reading customer reviews better before I order FO's. The fragrance seized on me, so instead of a fun ITPS as planned, it is now a hot processed layered soap that smells distinctly of something-but-not-really-anything. I did however cut the honey soap last night, still a distinct citronella smell, and I definitely overswirled. Will try the gear wrapped hanger again and restrain my swirl happiness.

Tiger Stripe!

:bunny:

Just cut my first attempt at a tiger stripe! It has a rosemary, lavender, and peppermint eo blend and the stripes are my soap base interspersed with a mixture of cambrian blue clay, sea kelp, and indigo root added at trace.

tigerstripe1.jpg

tigerstripe2.jpg

I think I like it, but I clearly need to work out more because my arms got really tired half way through striping.

Also, many of the lines are degraded. I think it's because I put too small a stripe (with a ketchup bottle) when it was too thin. Next time I will add more when its thinner and then slowly decrease the size of each stripe as it thickens up a bit. You can see the bigger stripes at the bottom are from the end once the batter reached a heavier trace.

I like the color but I think it would look really cool with a true blue indigo. May try buying a different powder (currently using BB, want to try FNWL) and adding it to the lye solution next time.

Any other ideas for the next go would be greatly appreciated! Have a great Friday!

ETA: spelling x2 and photos

Last edited:
They are gorgeous, elurah. Yes, that is a tiring technique, but so beautiful when done. Once you do the planing and beveling, they are going to shine!

Today I began again to plane & bevel some of my 'Wisconsin Dells' soaps. I haven't finished doing that yet and I've been back home for a couple of weeks I think. I need to make room for making challenge soap, so clearing the worktable had to be done. I have chosen my formula for both the January and the February challenges because it's one my skin really likes and moves fairly slowly. I still need to choose a fragrance and colors, but there is plenty of time.

I made 2 batches of soap dough for the February challenge. One following Sorcery Soap to a tee, and the other my own recipe just to see the difference because I have such a hard time with the amount of coconut oil and castor oil in Bee's recipe.

I also got my first attempt at the January challenge in the mold. I knew I might need time to try again. And maybe again. :???:

Just cut my first attempt at a tiger stripe! It has a rosemary, lavender, and peppermint eo blend and the stripes are my soap base interspered with a mixture of cambrian blue clay, sea kelp, and indigo root added at trace.

Beautiful--and one of my favorite scent blends, elurah!

I just put together a batch of soap made with Maple Sap that I had in the freezer from last year, and I scented it with Vermont Maple Syrup from SOS. I did add some finely ground and sifted oatmeal to this batch (I typically make an oatmilk with the sap). No fancy colors as this FO goes pretty dark. It smells awesome!

Your soap came out beautiful Elurah! I love how thin your lines are. Simply gorgeous!
I bought some more lye after work & a tote to store my dirty soap dishes in. That way they're out of sight until I feel like washing them.

I suppose it's not quite the right forum, but...it was a Soapy Thing Today. :)

I have the Australian Flu, near as anybody can tell, and had kept my husband up most of last night with my thrashing and sweating and coughing. So he went to bed this morning.

His birthday is mid-February, and I do like to let these age a bit even though it's unnecessary. So I tossed together some MP soap with my new Purple Vibrance mica from Nurture (which is one of the most beautiful colors I've ever worked with). It has 1 tsp PPO of colloidal oatmeal.

He loves the stuff. I can't imagine why, but he does. Syndets and all.

And yes, the windowsill needs repainting.

IMG_1033.jpg

I have the Australian Flu, near as anybody can tell, and had kept my husband up most of last night with my thrashing and sweating and coughing. So he went to bed this morning.

His birthday is mid-February, and I do like to let these age a bit even though it's unnecessary. So I tossed together some MP soap with my new Purple Vibrance mica from Nurture (which is one of the most beautiful colors I've ever worked with). It has 1 tsp PPO of colloidal oatmeal.

He loves the stuff. I can't imagine why, but he does. Syndets and all.

And yes, the windowsill needs repainting.

IMG_1033.jpg
That's a gorgeous purple!

Sent from my Z828 using Soap Making mobile app

The purple is great.

I also like the rectangular mold. Is that a silicone mold? Do you mind telling me the dimensions and where you got it?

I have a cheap silicone mold from the internet but the sides bulge. I’ve been considering making a timber frame for it but I’d prefer to buy a better mold.

Thanks.
PJ

I made my first batch of MP soap last weekend.

Goat Milk Base w/ Kaolin Clay, Crushed Walnut Shell & scented with a Baby Powder FO.

I'm gonna make a actually loaf of it today with Shea Butter Base & then I'm also gonna make more Flower ones but they are gonna be Kaolin Clay w/ Honey Dew Melon FO. 1514857982171-741.jpg

The purple is great.

I also like the rectangular mold. Is that a silicone mold? Do you mind telling me the dimensions and where you got it?

I have a cheap silicone mold from the internet but the sides bulge. I’ve been considering making a timber frame for it but I’d prefer to buy a better mold.

Thanks.
PJ

Sorry, that flu sent me into partial collapse the rest of yesterday and so far today. I'm up...but I won't be awake long... :)

That's a Crafter's Choice, Basic Rectangle 0601 silicone mold. I've had it for ages and it's great for CP and MP.

The sides might bulge the tiniest bit, but I can't say I ever notice it.

I got my gear and recipes all laid out for taking a swing at this month's challenge, and making dough for next month. Just have to decide what colors I want to use in the soap dough. Had to make up some more of my 'Coming Up Roses' blend, going to use that for fragrance in the hidden heart. I'm really liking this blend, it's a sort of Victorian rose, with a bit of musk to it. It's what I used in the yellow and black soap, too.

I also got some soaps and butters packaged to deliver tomorrow, had a request from the lady who's doing the tailoring work on a costume piece for me. Her mom's birthday is coming up, and she got all excited when I told her I make soap and showed her some pictures. She was all set to start telling all her friends about me, then I reminded her that I don't sell. The sudden deflation and "Oh. Right." was almost funny. If I ever do decide to sell, I'll have to rework all of my fragrance blends. As it stands, I don't think I could sell my soap, I just can't imagine anyone being willing to pay $15 to $40 per bar (or more- some of the EOs I use are ridiculously expensive).

Today I have been planing & beveling soap. I was set to start on this month's challenge yesterday when sudden illness set in and I knew it wouldn't be safe to get started with soaping, so I left everything out in hopes I can do it today. Waiting to see if my insides will cooperate with my outsides today and so far, I am hopeful. But starting slow with activities that can bear interruption if I need to rush the bathroom.

KattChaos, your soaps are so nice looking.

Misshief, that's a nice looking loaf of goat milk soap.

Back